The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

modage

I wrote up a big piece on "The Master" trailer for The Playlist.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/the-basis-of-a-cult-diving-deep-into-the-master-trailer-20120721#.UArDYkSEP8A

It's probably nothing that Xixax-ers don't know already but you should read it anyway because Xixax makes a cameo! (thanks Polka!) It's the circle of life.

If there's anything interesting/major I missed, let me know (kindly plz) and I can add in.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: Reelist on July 21, 2012, 10:13:30 AM
Quote from: polkablues on July 21, 2012, 12:44:43 AM
Quote from: Reelist on July 20, 2012, 11:55:59 AM
anyone know what Joaquin was saying there?

Whoever captioned the screenshot did.

Quote from: SeanMalloy on July 20, 2012, 11:45:18 AM

Oh!  :doh: I'm a dunce. I still have to go back and figure out the context of that, though.

Seems like the context is that he's working at a department store as a family portrait photographer. He's either taking too long or otherwise being weird and making the costumers uncomfortable and the store manager is getting on his case about it, and Freddie goes a little nuts.

And huzzah! on the XIXAX shoutout on The Playlist.

Reel

^ well, thanks for saving me the trouble. I'm still gonna give it a once over before I see it in the theater. You've read the script, correct? If not, that was very astute of you.

polkablues

Great piece, mod. Remind to never read the comments section on a Playlist article again, though. The parents' basement is strong in this one...
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: Reelist on July 21, 2012, 12:58:01 PM
^ well, thanks for saving me the trouble. I'm still gonna give it a once over before I see it in the theater. You've read the script, correct? If not, that was very astute of you.

It's like two years ago that I read the script, and I can't really remember anything about it, and it seems like a lot has changed. So this is not something I specifically recall, but it's based on 1. we see Freddie taking the picture of the kids and it looks like he's a family portrait guy, like they have or used to have at department stores. 2. the guy with the tie looks like a manager-type person, and his suit makes him look like an old-time department store manager person to me. 3. You CAN hear Freddie saying "You don't understand, I just want to get the lighting right."

I'd think that with a department store portrait studio, and especially photographing kids, they'd want you to just take a picture and move on to the next family or whatever. If, say, Freddie was taking 10 pictures and fussing with this and that and the kids were getting antsy, the manager would want to have a word with him.

That's all a guess though. I don't remember anything like that happening in the script, but my memory is vague. So consider it as a guess and not as a spoiler.

Cloudy

Things to look forward to now (other than the fucking film):

1. Charlie Rose interview with PTA/PSH/JP

2. ASC article with Mihai/PTA/Fisk

=)

Reel

...PTA saying ANYTHING about the film

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

close, but no cigar

Jeremy Blackman

Yes, not nearly enough greying neckbeard.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

you think he shaved his head for this one? in which case...not him.

theyarelegion

well spotted 72teeth, that's him

polkablues

It ain't him. I will bet all my marbles on it. It looks vaguely like him, but not really all that much like him when you look close.

I'm more excited about bow-tied Kevin J O'Connor right in front of him.
My house, my rules, my coffee

theyarelegion

Jeremy Blackman

I'm also firmly in the "not him" camp.

Water or vodka?