The Dark Knight

Started by MacGuffin, September 28, 2005, 01:34:06 PM

last days of gerry the elephant

there goes my hopes of seeing Brody in the sequel

picolas

there's still the possibility of a homeless cameo.

Gold Trumpet

Heath Ledger is a daring choice - I think he could be right choice.

At first my hopes were for Sean Penn but on second thought I don't think he would have been the best choice. Sean Penn stands alongside Daniel Day Lewis as an amazing actor - but sadly a one note actor. They both belong to the school of early Robert De Niro. That is, take roles that challenge your dedication off screen so you can give an intense performance on screen. When both actors were asked to do leading man roles or quiet performances, they either misfired or just came off as very bland. The reason that Sean Penn wouldn't be the right choice for an intense role like the Joker is because his career would have already made his interpretation of the Joker slightly predictable.

Heath Ledger is going into the role known for leading man roles and a stunning quiet performance. He is also desiring ambitious roles and choosing accordingly. No one will know what they will get when he plays Bob Dylan for Todd Hayne's next film. And I have no clue what to expect when he takes on the role of the Joker. I think he could be ambitius and try to find a middle ground in playing the Joker where everyone else would play to the extreme. Going for the extreme is ridiculous because Jack Nicholson already took it as far as anyone could.

Playing to the extreme may also be wrong for the series. Burton's films prided themselves on the huge production values that made the animation of the comic books a reality. While Burton downplayed Bruce Wayne he did play the Joker up to everything that the comic books expressed as far as super ego and super villianry went. In the new series the main chord being struck is the middle ground approach. Batman Begins had the element of fantasy and natural storytelling that didn't rely on super egos. The villians used in Batman Begins were used for the development of Bruce Wayne into Batman. My friends complained the Scarecrow was wasted because he got limited action and not enough cool lines. He wasn't. He was used according to what was necessary for the character arc to the story of Batman.

Batman Begins is really good. I just dont think it is excellent drama. It is adaqaute storytelling just with the perfect focus. If the second film is going to be about the Joker, then they are going to need an actor who will try to develop the Joker as a character and not a regular criminal waiting to be turned into a pyschotic by a freak accident.

MacGuffin

Heath Ledger? It's TRUE
Source; Batman-On-Film

Friday, July 21, 2006 - 8:26 AM PACIFIC TIME: I usually don't go out on a limb unless I have had something confirmed. Heath Ledger will be The Joker. From my BEST source:

"Nolan has been in secret talks with Ledger for some time....The fan favorites like Paul Bettany, Crispin Glover and your fave pick, Lachy Hulme, were just grist for the mill. Ledger will be playing The Joker. The offer was made last night, and it will be a done deal."

There you have it. Heath Ledger is The Joker.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: Ghostboy on May 02, 2006, 05:40:40 PM
Amazing. My interest in this film suddenly dropped about 90%.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Mod mod mod... you get so Moddy around this time of year.

polkablues

Oddly, I'm okay with this.  I think the whole Robin Williams rumor was released intentionally to soften the blow a little bit.  Like, "Heath Ledger?  That's a little weird... but at least it's not Robin Williams."  Which, I admit, was the very first thing that went through my mind.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Batman Sequel Update
The Joker, the title and a wee bit more.

A few more kernels of information about the planned sequel to Batman Begins have surfaced online today. The Batman-on-Film.com website has heard, as almost everyone has by now, that Heath Ledger is going to play The Joker in the next movie.

The site claims The Joker will be just one of the villains in a larger story and that he won't appear until halfway through the movie, a la Batman in Begins. He is also expected to have a backstory. The Joker will not be the only villain in the film. "I know you've heard this before but trust me -- Nolan and his brother have a couple of surprises up their sleeves!"

"From what I've heard about the direction of the film expect The Joker to be very creepy and very extreme," a trusted source for BoF advised the site, claiming that Ledger's Clown Prince will be totally unlike Jack Nicholson's portrayal in the 1989 film.

BoF's source suggests, "Heath Ledger is perfect for the role as he has never played this kind of part before which is what Nolan was after. Think about it – if you see Sam Rockwell or Robin Williams or even Hugo Weaving, you'd know exactly how they would play the role before even seeing the film and that's not very intriguing for fans is it? I have a feeling Paul Bettany was out of the mix after his performance in The Da Vinci Code."

BoF also reports that any previously rumored titles for the sequel are just that. "The title will most likely not be known until they've finished shooting."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

K, I didn't see the davinci code and of course the nolans know more than me. However, look at this picture and tell me you don't see the Joker

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Quote from: squints on July 27, 2006, 09:29:27 PM
K, I didn't see the davinci code and of course the nolans know more than me. However, look at this picture and tell me you don't see the Joker

All I see in that picture is the guy who took Jennifer Connelly off the market.

Fucker...  :yabbse-angry:
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

The Batty D.A
Source: Moviehole

So we've got a youngish Batman. We've also just heard that a youngster has been cast to play The Joker. Guess it makes sense then to have a young Harvey Dent?

Batman On Film reports that youthful thespian Ryan Phillippe ("Crash", "I Know What You Did Last Summer") is rumored to be up for the role of young D.A Harvey Dent – the chap that ultimately transforms into the deformed fiend, Two-Face – in the next "Batman" movie.

Initially, that trusty ol' rumor mill suggested an older actor, say Josh Lucas (who has confessed to the media that he'd love to play the role) or long-time fave Liv Schrieber, may be up for the role of Dent, but seems the studio is sticking with the tradition of 'going younger' for the new "Batman" series and is eyeballing the "Crash" star for the much coveted gig. If Phillippe does sign, he'd be required back for another "Batman" sequel, the one in which he'd make his shift into the guise of Two Face.

Like both Christian Bale (Batman) and Heath Ledger (The Joker), Phillippe, married to Oscar Winner Reese Witherspoon, ain't too shabby of an actor either, which may also have a lot to do with his potential - remember, it's merely a rumour at the moment - casting.

In the next "Batman" film, Dent teams with Batman to track down the clown prince of crime, The Joker, who the Caped Crusader has developed a personal vendetta against.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 29, 2006, 11:54:24 AM

Like both Christian Bale (Batman) and Heath Ledger (The Joker), Phillippe married to Oscar Winner Reese Witherspoon
:yabbse-grin:
context, context, context.

Gamblour.

Damn, this film will be full of pretty boys. Until Phillipe becomes Two Face.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

The Penguin Confirmed? Ledger Not Done-Deal?
Source: Batman-On-Film

Y'all are going to LOVE this! I think. Anyway, this comes in from probably my best source who confirmed many things for BOF in the past (such as the Katie Holmes and Ken Watanabe casting; the offer made to Ledger). Here goes:

As you have long suspected, the two main villains in the BATMAN BEGINS sequel will be The Joker and The Penquin.

I can confirm (as I did a few weeks ago) that while an offer has been made to Heath Ledger, Ledger has not signed any deal, and is reluctant to do so (at the moment.) Ledger is not a lock.

It seems Nolan has been listening to you guys when it comes to casting his other villain, however. I can confirm that an offer has been made to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the role. Yet Hoffman has indicated that he may not get involved in the sequel.

Also, industry reaction to the Ledger 'leak' has been much like the fans: A fair bit of head scratching, and a generally tepid response.

So the scuttlebutt long reported by BOF that The Penguin will be in the sequel looks to be true (The rumor is that he'll be a British arms dealer/mob boss with designs on Gotham). Also, this was the second time in a very short time frame that I heard that Ledger, while offered the part, had not yet signed on.

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Hoffman as the Penguin would be cool, but he might not do it just because it seems a little too obvious.

It's funny that they're talking about Ledger not being a lock because I've heard that Dennis Leary was actually being considered despite what they're saying about Ledger.