Possessor

Started by Jeremy Blackman, September 14, 2020, 03:45:13 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Written & directed by Brandon Cronenberg

Releases theatrically October 9, 2020 (subject to change?)

I couldn't resist taking a peek at this one. Not entirely sure if the version I saw is the one coming to theaters, which is apparently "uncut" in some way. But I can't imagine any version being more violent than what I saw.

Blood and gore notwithstanding, I would say this is more of a mainstream thriller than people probably imagine. Nothing so audacious or cerebral as Under The Skin, for example. But it's very, very good.

Something about Andrea Riseborough's performance in Mandy did not work for me, but she's absolutely perfect in this.

WorldForgot

I'm hype!! Antiviral remainz an aesthetic treat.

polkablues

Andrea Riseborough is incredibly underrated. One of the best actors no one ever talks about.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Was a bit underwhelmed by this as a script/Cronenberg film. Antiviral is something I like sharing with friends -- and I'll definitely attempt to rewatch this again with others to see how it plays.

As a suspense film it totally functions, and its gore iz killer, but its loose threads thematically don't feel intentional. Many bits reminded me of another sci-fi film with limited budget, New Rose Hotel. That film has its own ambiguities. Both are evocative and visceral in considering gigz & identity.

A fully realized world and plenty of dread. Some of it even feels parallel to Existenz. I wish it had spent more time either with "the assignment" (as a family, as a corporation, or the tangential effect of Zoothroo) or with our lead character. Maybe next time I reread some Mark Fisher I'll find images of this come up. I hope they do.