Marie Antoinette

Started by modage, August 11, 2004, 09:58:49 PM

RegularKarate

haha... totally... it's what Larry the Cable guy says.  He's not PC, he's in your face and truthful!!!

"Just cuz I aint PC, don't mean I'm a homophobe"... "Just because I hate N*&&ers, don't mean I'm racist!"

Gold Trumpet

I was more into the trailer than I expected to be. The New Order song is a ploy, of course, but who cares? This trailer will hype that crowd that seeks out early trailers and the official trailer later on will go for the masses. I think after the debate on this trailer, its a bad deal to critique trailers. I was guilty for Superman Returns but I'll never do it again.

modage

i kinda love the trailer in the way that reminds me why i love and look forward to new movies.  i just wish we could skip the next year of hype anticipation reviews waiting and see the film now.  that would be ideal.  teaser followed immediately by films release the next day.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

Quote from: Gamblour on December 09, 2005, 07:54:23 PM
I like that Sophia's commenting on the period piece with this energy and vibe we all understand, and through the trailer alone, you know exactly what she's trying to do. she wants to humanize these people as kids like any other generation. i'm sure that wasn't lost on you.

isn't that the case with every single period film?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ultrahip

not really. they tend to be stately and blustery, and maggie smith is in them as some sort of long-beaked sea bird.

Gamblour.

Quote from: pete on December 12, 2005, 07:14:33 PM
Quote from: Gamblour on December 09, 2005, 07:54:23 PM
I like that Sophia's commenting on the period piece with this energy and vibe we all understand, and through the trailer alone, you know exactly what she's trying to do. she wants to humanize these people as kids like any other generation. i'm sure that wasn't lost on you.

isn't that the case with every single period film?

yeah I agree with Ultrahip...it's really not the case. they get too caught up in the set pieces and costumes or the facts of it all.
WWPTAD?

pete

maybe they seem that way without the the rock'n'roll soundtrack, but aside from oddities like Gods and Generals, period pieces are made with the intention of relating something from the past to the current audience, I think that much is obvious as well.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: pete on December 11, 2005, 08:31:28 PM
weakest defense for saying dumb things--"maybe I'm not 'PC'..." like anyone really gives a fuck.

well, you're right pete...i shouldnt use it as an excuse...truth is...i dont give a fuck about my use of the word "gay" ...but i dont want to keep pissing people off b/c i like you people here and xixax in general..so, if i use the word "gay" again...just ban me-no questions asked.... :|

Pubrick

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 11, 2005, 11:04:35 AM
but one day coppola will do something great. 
Quote from: JimmyGator on December 09, 2005, 02:27:38 PM
she'll make a great movie one day if she sticks with it.  we need this chick . 
haha are u developing a new catchphrase?
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

It LOOKS great althouh I'm not a fan of modern music in a period piece.  Maybe she'll pull it off, or maybe she won't even use it (this is just the trailer).  That shot of Dunst nude is incredible. Maybe this will be a female version of Amadeus...babeadeus.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 12, 2005, 11:14:10 PM
Maybe this will be a female version of Amadeus...babeadeus.
i think you're underrating F Murray Abraham  :inlove:
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Pubrick on December 12, 2005, 10:39:34 PM
haha are u developing a new catchphrase?

awww hell naw pubrick.

Quote from: Gamblour on December 11, 2005, 06:20:24 PM

misogynist.
WWPTAD?

puddnanners

i'm sorry for interjecting my opinion in this thread which seems to be dominated by xixax giants, but I am very intrigued by the trailer for this movie because it is so damn pretty to watch.  some of the shots are a bit wes anderson-ish (the pull back of Kirstin Dunst looking out the balcony)  the trailer is just great to look at and the blend of image and music is very nice.  I'm concerned about Dunst, who doesn't ruin movies but had not shown the abiltiy to star in a film in my opinion.  I am also concerned about the potential use of accents in the film.  I am kinda hoping that the actors talk in plain ole American english rather than try to talk with a french accent (which would undoubtedly sound like a british accent).  Also, am I wrong in that the song title is "bizarre love triangle"? That would give it some importance besides just being a hip 70s song to put on the soundtrack.  Anyways, I am highly anticipating this movie and Shwartzman is King.     

Gamblour.

Quote from: puddnanners on December 25, 2005, 03:21:40 AM
Also, am I wrong in that the song title is "bizarre love triangle"? That would give it some importance besides just being a hip 70s song to put on the soundtrack.
Quote from: Gamblour on December 08, 2005, 10:55:03 PM
Quote from: Gamblour on December 08, 2005, 09:31:31 PM
New Order "Age of Consent"

It's 80s.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

and so is 'bizarre love triangle.'
under the paving stones.