Star Trek Into Darkness

Started by MacGuffin, March 31, 2009, 01:10:17 AM

RegularKarate

Quote from: pete on December 18, 2012, 02:04:12 PM
is this movie gonna end on a down note and leave things unresolved for the third movie? is that what happens to every number two sequel now?

Did the Star Trek movies start this with Wrath of Kahn?

polkablues

Empire Strikes Back beat them by two years.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Just Withnail

Godfather 2 beat them by eight (if that counts as unresolved).

pete

I feel like every number two movie should just call itself "Empire Strikes Back".
eg. "Lord of the Rings: The Empire Strikes Back", "X-2: The Empire Strikes Back", "Star Wars Attack of the Clones: The Empire Strikes Back."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

polkablues

Loves me some Bandersnatch Cummerbund.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Tictacbk

Not a lot of Star Trek fans here, huh?

I saw this on a whim yesterday because it was playing down the street and I wanted to tune out for a couple hours.  Turned out to be a good movie for that, as this one is definitely not a thinker.  Pure Popcorn.  I'm not a Star Trek fan, so maybe I'm missing something, but the villains plan didn't seem to make much sense, but it wasn't so nonsensical that it took me out of the movie.  Basically the whole thing is just one action sequence after another, which I was fine with. 

Spoilers:

I 'm guessing since it was so shrouded in secrecy that the villain reveal was supposed to be a big moment, and it kind of worked for me.  But at the same time it didn't work because I don't know anything about Star Trek mythology.  I assume if I did, I would've already known who the villain was before he said his name?

The Ultimate Badass

This, like the rest of JJ Abrams' directed movies, looks and feels like a TV show episode with a really big budget.

©brad

Agree with you both. I hadn't seen the first one so I watched it right before seeing this in 3D. Both movies are so paint-by-numbers  and thoroughly predictable yet still so much fun. The special effects were outstanding. JJ knows how to build an action sequence but dude is taking too many pages from the Michael Bay cinematography playbook of 'just feed the DP a bunch of meth and see what happens.' Too many dutch angles, too many unnecessary 360 spins around characters. I know what you mean about it feeling like a TV show.

Pubrick

cumberbatch was good.

hardly remember anyone else in the movie.

the ending just kinda fizzled out.. fist fight? come on.

[haiku version] :

cumberbatch was good.

hardly remember much else.

ending fizzled out.
under the paving stones.

samsong

somehow more stupid than the first movie (probably because they manage to pander to trekkies even more in this one), but it's all in good fun.  all gloss, and i don't mind dialing down brain activity for it.  benedict cumberbatch makes his way onto the list of dudes i'd go gay for.  found the ending to be a bit disturbing in how tastelessly and uselessly 9-11 trauma is conjured, but i guess that's par for the course these days. 

liked this more than the dark knight rises.

Kellen

Quote from: Pubrick on May 26, 2013, 09:11:17 AM
cumberbatch was good.

hardly remember anyone else in the movie

Gold Trumpet

I definitely consider myself to be a Star Trek fan and grew up with these films/shows. Into Darkness is definitely better than the first which took me a while to like because it wanted to be more action oriented when the Star Trek films are much more cerebral. However, after a while I did like it, and it's because new film definitely zeroed in on the most emotional thing from the films: friendship between Spock and Kirk.

What I like about Into Darkness is that they introduce Carol Marcus instead of making her a distant figure in Kirk's past (with a son of theirs, to boot) so in coming films, you could see their relationship develop. That would be a nice new thing. It's an alternative universe Star Trek and things are different, but when Khan faced off with the Enterprise crew and they had the situations featured in this film, it was during their second encounter. First it was Kirk who banished him and his people to a distant planet. In the original, that is why he hates Kirk instead of hating an admiral. In some ways, Kirk and crew does banish him again by freezing them. There could be a repeat vengeful spite.

I also like the movie got happy with political allusions. The original show and films were filled with it. The new original lacked it.