Public Enemies

Started by MacGuffin, March 04, 2009, 01:16:20 PM

Neil

Granted maybe this is an aspect that Mann "wasn't zoned in on" or whatever, Was Dillinger this sort of heroic character? Although i agree with alexandro in regards to purvis' underdevelopment, if you can even call it that.  I think that added to the odd flavor that was going on in the bureau, at the time you've got fundamentals being built (not to mention a president denying crime syndication), and the only thing that stood out was this subtle idea that an older officer knew more that purvis, and solved the fucking thing while purvis remained stubborn.  Maybe he didn't want to shoot us in the head with the idea... I believe for conservative gangsters, Dillinger has a "personality" in this film. There is a comment that goes something along the lines of; "your downfall will be found in the fact that you can't leave anyone behind." and what do you know? that's his demise.   In a way you compare this film to insider and other Mann films, yet you say that in public enemies that Mann takes no effort in explaining Dillinger's personality, but Insider contains depth and soul of its characters, and less worry of certain plot elements

As far as being a hero, he looks nice alongside the criminals who get pissed at him for allowing the jurisdiction to comply with no borders, he looked like some fucking smirking robin hood.  I don't know much abut Dillinger, but that just didn't feel right...I definitely need another viewing, but hollywood definitely caused the romanticism to hinder the film in this case, but what's new?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

Ah, this is what I'm worried about. I keep hearing Depp plays Dillinger as this swashbuckling suavecito with a heart of gold and a million dollar smile. Please tell me that's not true?

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

i think what i meant to say was

Public Meh-nemies.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

Quote from: Stefen on July 08, 2009, 04:04:56 PM
Ah, this is what I'm worried about. I keep hearing Depp plays Dillinger as this swashbuckling suavecito with a heart of gold and a million dollar smile. Please tell me that's not true?

No, not at all. That's far from the truth. It's a very subtle performance. He hardly has any "big" scenes. It's all very quietly done from his part, he seems to be so sure as an actor that he's able to convey the charm and the dangerous personality without never overplaying it. But more importantly so, he plays a character in the middle of that change when he's considering for the first time his chances, and when he loves someone, and you won't hear a thing from his mouth on it. It's all shown without being talked about. There's a scene near the end when he goes to see a movie and there is a revelation from his character that is very moving, relating to how he sees Cotillard's character. Mann has been doing this for a while now, having his characters go through inner emotional turmoils without exposition. Like Cruise in Collateral (where it worked fine) or Farrell in Miami Vice (where it didn't). This time it did.

MacGuffin

Quote from: samsong on July 01, 2009, 05:25:21 AM
an engrossing, enjoyable gangster movie that fails to capitalize on any of its substantive and potential-brimming subtext, really the only thing between public enemies being a good movie and a great film.  either way, this is fantastically entertaining and a truly impressive bit of filmmaking, technically speaking.  despite the occasional blow-out, the use of digital to photograph a period piece is entirely successful.  it's immersive and allows for a deeper appreciation for the attention to detail; it also helps that mann's characteristically strong visual sense (immaculate compositions, great movement) is at top speed here.  the sound, treatment of violence, the shoot-outs/various criminal set pieces, all spot on.  depp's performance is slightly undercooked (though he achieves the "cool" thing throughout) and marion cotillard (as beautiful as ever) is good if a bit ham-fisted in spots.  bale is fine, crudup's hoover is bizarre and pretty absent.  loved the goons on both sides of the law, all of whom look perfect for their respective roles.

good summer movie.  i had fun.

Yeah, I'm with samsong on this. I thought this was Mann at the top of his game, not Heat standards, but up there. I would have liked more from the romance relationship, mainly from her perspective of what her attraction to him was. But the final scene of Cotillard's says it all without a word. Depp was great at playing the charming, yet soft, tough guy. And while overall the cinematography looks great, especially in the nighttime scenes, there were moments that you could see the "videoness" that took you out of the film a bit (the beginning of the shootout in the forest comes to mind).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I wasn't expecting much going into this but I had fun. Not dumb summer fun that it was proported to be when it hit theaters but fun that worked for me and that I found proficient beauty in it. I actually marvel at Mann's dedicated technical proficiently and win or lose, its always historically right and sharp. I wanted more of Melvin and J. Edgar Hoover and its a real shame that there wasn't more of them in there.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection