Moneyball

Started by MacGuffin, February 05, 2009, 04:50:30 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 15, 2012, 12:07:31 PM
But Jonah Hill was good.

But good enough that the phrase "Academy Award Nominee Jonah Hill" shouldn't make me want to take a nap on a railroad track?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I agree wholeheartedly. He was good in that he surprised me with his ability to play a character and not be annoying (likely a mathematical necessity given the Robin Wright / annoying daughter offset). I'm not sure we should be tripping over ourselves to reward him the first time he demonstrates basic acting proficiency.

RegularKarate

This movie was really good.  I don't think the daughter was as annoying as the song (and when you consider the age of the daughter, it makes sense that she would like a dumb song like that).  This is a solid fucking script that I completely disagree with Jeremy on its being a "sports movie".  Sure, winning games is a big part of it, but the guy doesn't even go to the games.

And Jonah Hill is totally good in this.  It's not his fault he got nominated by an Academy that is always amazed when a comic actor plays a straight role.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 19, 2012, 02:42:50 PMI don't think the daughter was as annoying as the song

Well, that's true.

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 19, 2012, 02:42:50 PMand when you consider the age of the daughter, it makes sense that she would like a dumb song like that

Maybe, but did they have to showcase it and attempt to end the movie in a dramatic/poignant fashion with that garbage?

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 19, 2012, 02:42:50 PMThis is a solid fucking script that I completely disagree with Jeremy on its being a "sports movie".  Sure, winning games is a big part of it, but the guy doesn't even go to the games.

The main character may not "go to" games (except for one), but he listens to them on the radio and obsesses about them while they're happening. The games are also played out on screen for us (which is what actually counts, right?) through TV clips and plenty of actual gameplay footage.

How is this not a sports movie? The movie devotes 90% of its attention to baseball gameplay, baseball statistics/probabilities, baseball politics, and the "drama" of winning or losing games. Maybe 10% is devoted to characters and character stories, separate from the "drama" of winning or losing games (and I'm being generous).

pete

why are you separating the "characters" from what they do, what they love, and the world they live in?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Because "what they do, what they love, and the world they live in" apparently consists entirely of winning or losing games. Which is the cheapest and dullest source of drama imaginable.

Just arguing that this is a sports movie, that's all.

©brad

It's absolutely a sports movie. I don't understand why that's a bad thing, beyond it succumbing to the usual sports movie troupe of them winning in the end.