jenkins

looking great, with subtitles and everything

s/o to memes now being an aspect of nostalgia

wilberfan

Patton Oswalt was a cute kid.

putneyswipe

The Big Blue (1988) dir. Andrew Horn

https://vimeo.com/390245568

This screened at Spectacle earlier this year, but I've looked all over the internet and can't find it anywhere...

WorldForgot

Quote from: putneyswipe on January 09, 2021, 05:17:47 PM

The Big Blue (1988) dir. Andrew Horn

https://vimeo.com/390245568

This screened at Spectacle earlier this year, but I've looked all over the internet and can't find it anywhere...

Dang. Only near me I'm only seeing it rn at the LA Public Library on VHS (how the heck to transfer lol) and CalArts Library (campus is currently closed).

wilder

wilder

Girl with Hyacinths (1950)

Dagmar Brink, a young female pianist, dies by suicide in her Stockholm apartment. She leaves all her belongings to her next-door neighbors, an author and his wife. Perplexed and curious, they investigate the girl's reasons for taking her life. As they visit Dagmar's friends, acquaintances and former boyfriends, her story unfolds. She stands out as loner, a woman no one could really grasp, always in want of something that nobody she met could make out.

Eddie Muller described this as a "masterpiece" Swedish noir by "recently rediscovered" filmmaker Hasse Ekman . Bergman apparently called it a masterpiece, too.

It's on vimeo with English subs.

Muller also mentioned Ekman's The Girl from the Third Row (1949) and The White Cat (1950) as being worth checking out.

Quote from: The Girl from the Third Row (1949)A ring passes between a lot of different people, giving the bearer or someone close a new meaning to life. Actors, embezzlers, old ladies and cheated husbands all seem to gain temporary hope from misery and disillusionment.

Quote from: The White Cat (1950)A man comes to Stockholm's central station. He does not know who he is or where he has been. He has some keys and a phone number. Perhaps he is the escaped sex maniac the police are searching for. A waitress at a café tries to help him.