Spider-Man 3

Started by MacGuffin, March 22, 2005, 12:43:47 AM

MacGuffin

Dunst Blows Spidey 3 Villains
Actress spills the beans.

While doing press for her forthcoming release Elizabethtown, actress Kirsten Dunst may have finally let the proverbial cat out of the bag about the oft-speculated identities of the villains in Spider-Man 3.

Dunst is quoted at Zap2It as saying, "We have really great people though as the villains in this film, Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace -- Venom and Sandman." She added, "Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that."

But when a journalist expressed disbelief that Sandman lookalike Church would be playing Venom, Dunst corrected her gaffe. "It's the other way around. You're right."

So just to be clear: according to Dunst, Thomas Haden Church is Sandman and Topher Grace is Venom.

Although she hasn't read the script yet for Spider-Man 3 , which begins filming in January, Dunst said, "I know the general story. ... There's a lot that they're trying to fit into this one."

Spider-Man 3 is slated for a May 4, 2007 release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Quote from: MacGuffinDunst Blows Spidey 3 Villains

tee-hee hee...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

they've gotten greedy.  2 villains will overcrowd the film and ruin it.  see: batman franchise.  i guess tobey and kirsten are only signed through 3 and they want to make sure they get as many action figures as possible on the market before their cash cow changes hands.  i'll be VERY surprised/impressed if they can pull this off.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffinActress spills the beans.
tee-hee hee...

Seriously, though, those villians sound awesome.

Quote from: modagethey've gotten greedy.  2 villains will overcrowd the film and ruin it.  see: batman franchise.  i guess tobey and kirsten are only signed through 3 and they want to make sure they get as many action figures as possible on the market before their cash cow changes hands.  i'll be VERY surprised/impressed if they can pull this off.
But your favorite movie of the year is Batman Begins, which features two villians.  So it's do-able.  My guess is that Sandman won't feature as much as Venom.

brockly

Quote from: modagethey've gotten greedy.  2 villains will overcrowd the film and ruin it.  see: batman franchise.  i guess tobey and kirsten are only signed through 3 and they want to make sure they get as many action figures as possible on the market before their cash cow changes hands.  i'll be VERY surprised/impressed if they can pull this off.

two of the three good batman movies had two villians, and were great. batman forever and batman and robin would have sucked hard regardless

pete

batman begins sucked some and it had two villains.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

they tried to squeeze too much into batman begins and that was a complaint of mine.  they could've done without scarecrow or ras al ghul alltogether and left the focus more on batman/bruce wayne cleaning up gotham.  batman returns, though i love, the villains are shoehorned together a bit awkwardly/pointlessly.  it works, but it was the beginning of the end.  trying to squeeze too many villiains into a superhero film is one of the easiest ways to ruin it.  TRUST ME.  there is no way to advance the main character AND their relationship with whatever love interest AND have room to adequately fit two villains without something/most things getting shortchanged.  another way is to reveal your secret identity to everyone.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I loved the way they used the villians in Batman Begins. Not just another genre work of seeing how "cool" and "bad ass" each bad guy could be before succumbing to an ass kicking by Batman, the film actually tries to position them dramatically in relevance to the story of Batman. Not even the most entertaining and well done of super hero movies (Superman 1 & 2) accomplished that.

When I do see super hero movies that are build ups to a fight, I feel like I should be just playing a video game instead. Speaking of Spiderman, the original was so bad I skipped the second one. Kudos to Thomas Hayden Church for landing a role in a movie that will make money.

Kal

I just want to see how they continue the story overall... what happens with MJ's fiance (I'm not very familiar with the comic books but he was a villain after some failed Space Mission?), Peter's proffessor (also a villian in the comics) and Harry finding out about Green Goblin...

If they drop all that after setting it up in the 2nd one, its weird... so we'll see what the story is about

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage2 villains will overcrowd the film and ruin it.

Don't forget, James Franco could be three.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

and don't forget, sometimes growing up and facing real life can be spiderman's greatest enemy.  and don't forget about his past--that can be 5.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

i don't think the batman franchize sucked because of two villans.  it sucked because shumacher (spelling?) didn't know what the fuck he was doing.

and i'm not a huge fan of the new one either.  it was alright, but burton found the good balance between comic book/dark/dramatic film.  raimi can pull it off, his sense of story stucture is amazing.  just look at a simple plan, very underated film.  one of the best.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

kotte

socketlevel

i think if he pitted both bad characters against eachother and spiderman was caught in the middle of it.  like he's working to stop the destruction and how that would wreck carnage all over new york, that's a story i want to see.

i'm sick of the one bad guy teaming up with, or brainwashing, the other villian and they're both against the hero.  time to start something new.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

Quote from: socketleveli don't think the batman franchize sucked because of two villans.  it sucked because shumacher (spelling?) didn't know what the fuck he was doing.
obviously schumacher is to blame as well, but i think he is distracting from the point that even under burton (or ANYbody good's) direction the last two batman films still would've been okay/sucked.  don't take the blame away from the scripts.  akiva goldsman is just as much to blame for this as schumacher.  i'm TELLING YOU, TOO MANY CHARACTERS WILL RUIN THIS MOVIE.  mark those words.  it's going to be very difficult to make this work.  a 2 hour film only splits up so many ways.