NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Pas

I've only played the game a 3-4 hours so far, one of them playing poker so maybe I'm going to change my mind but so far, this is one of the best game I've ever played. I think it has the potential of becoming ma favorite game but I'm not sure yet.

Everything is so perfect. Even the first mission with Bonnie, the race thing. I got way, wayyy behing her so as I was racing I was like : ''ughhh I wonder how many times I'll have to do this fucking boring race before I finally beat her" because in everygame losing a mission like this means starting over.

Not here, I just lost and the game continued. I was so amazed by that awesome game decision.

Then first mission with the Marshall... I get to the guy and the Marshall screams "Get him alive" or something like that. So I run after the guy and decide to shoot him in the leg. Sadly, I didn't think of using Dead-Eye so I missed my shot and got him straight in the back. It was an honest mistake and it felt so real. My character was suddenly alive and I was in control of him. Not only do I have real choices to make, but my mistakes also are part of myself.

Another thing that happened to me is that I started hearing gunshots while riding my horse in the fields... so I go full speed towards the noise and so some guy getting shot at. Now I don't know what the fuck is going on. Sadly, little game problem here, I see a message "Save the treasure hunter" or something like that. Fuck that shit, I have no way of knowing this is a treasure hunter. But anyway it's still a game so you can't hold that against it. I decide to ignore that knowledge and roleplay my character to the max. I watch in the distance and analyse the situation.I go "OK, let's try something..." I go dead-eye and try to shoot everyone's gun out of their hands. Of course I wasn't able because I'm a bad shot so everyone ends up dead. Including some guy who looked really damn hurt so I decided to put him out of his misery since I wasn't able to find an option to horseback him back to an hospital (just kidding).From these two stories, I gather that my character for this game is a guy with good intentions with a Midas touch for DEATH. I mean, these 5 guys I tried to basically save their lives and I end up killing them all. And it wasn't even on purpose.

Other notes:

The poker engine is reallllly good. I've had a guy check raise me with a perfect check raise hand. I've had a guy bluff me with nothing when there was 3 hearts on the flop. All kinds of realistic shit.

It's pretty sad that so far pushing people around doesn't make them react too much. When I won my poker game I got drunk at the bar and started pushing some guy I didn't like his face. He fell to the floor and everything. He said some insults but didn't challenge me to a fight or anything. Maybe that can happen later though, I hope.

Collecting flowers is a bit weird but fun. Hunting is FUN so far.

I hope there are injuns somewhere along the game but maybe there aren't? I don't know. It would be so cool though.

Western-GTA4 is accurate BUT so is Western-Oblivion.

Pubrick

wow that sounds like the best game ever.

hilarious descriptions too, this is way more interesting than that sad chapter in xixax history when page after page of this thread was filled with WoW missions and lingo. goddamn that was boring to read, tho kinda interesting in the way that all these freaks could speak in a totally made up language made up of WoW terminology that didn't amount to shit in real life. well, some of them dropped out of college and lost their jobs. probably.
under the paving stones.

cinemanarchist

I was standing on top of a cliff, looking at the lake down below, stallion by my side, and then in the distance I heard a woman's voice asking for help. I had just done a few good deeds so I didn't act, next thing I know the woman runs up, shoots me in the gut and takes my horse. Freaking wild west. There might be too many similarities to GTA, but if you are at all a fan of westerns, this will blow that out of the water. The freedom and the relative solitude are amazing.

Stefen, I need to get a wireless adapter to get back on Live, but I hope to have that in a week or two. Have you checked out multiplayer yet?

Also, the soundtrack is pretty great...I got a download of it for pre-ordering at Gamestop. Link: hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?jzjzkiyljn5
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Pas

What a fucking bitch! You mean her screams for help were a trap? Man... if this ever happens to me I'll go nuts.Were you able to snipe her off your horse? Though it's pretty funny that you wouldn't help her because you just done a bunch of good deeds before haha. I guess it was semi-called-for considering what happened but the fact of the matter is that she would've done the same thing had you went to help her.

Maybe some day in a game people will be persistent. I mean let's say there are 100 000 people in the game, well whenever you kill one there's one less. No respawn. Every one has a name, too. Maybe hours later you'd meet that bitch again and recognize your horse or her assface or something, and you'd be able to kick her face in... and you'd do it because you'd just be so glad to found her BUT then her kids would come over and say : "YOU KILLED MY MOM!" and you'd feel really bad and maybe that kid would draw a gun on you and you'd have to shoot him. Some guy was passing by and saw you shoot the kid but he was kinda of behind you so he didn't see the kid had a gun. So now everyone thinks you're a psycho child killer. Wow, that would be a wicked game.

Stefen

I just lassoed and broke in a new horse and I'm galloping away slowly and some dude jumps out of the bushes and throws me off my horse and jumps on and tries to ride away! I spent like 30 minutes trying to lasso and tame this black stallion so I shot him in the back as he was riding off. What a jerk!

Has anyone opened up the other parts of the map yet? I think there are Native Americans in the northeast part of the map that resembles Wyoming.

I haven't even touched multiplayer and I probably won't for a couple weeks. I'm having too much fun with the single player. I've been playing for 7 hours and I have barely progressed the story because I've been too busy just riding around and marveling at the scenery. This is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.

I guess you could say it is like GTA VI since the similarities are there, but GTA seems so clunky and hard to handle compared to this. Everything in this game is so smooth. And there aren't any loading times. Even to get to the map it's quick.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

Quote from: P on May 19, 2010, 08:25:10 AM
wow that sounds like the best game ever.

it really does. this thread and the watercooler talk at thee ol workplace this morning has convinced me to buy it. pal of mine had me at there's a CMBB reference in a town with two oil derricks called Plainview.   

cinemanarchist

I'm such a type A personality when it comes to games that I almost never participate in side quests because I'm so focused on beating the game as whole, but I too have found myself simply wanting to gallop around and see the sights. I think the wild west is the perfect setting for a sandbox game because there doesn't have to be so much activity all the time. It's difficult to make a big city seem alive because there's so many pieces to get right, so even though GTA IV was amazing, it still always felt like it was on a bit of a loop. This game feels entirely natural because there doesn't have to be a thousand things going on at any one time. Sure there are more people and animals than you'd probably see if you were actually out in the wilderness, but it just feels real and perfect.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on May 19, 2010, 01:12:10 PM
I just lassoed and broke in a new horse and I'm galloping away slowly and some dude jumps out of the bushes and throws me off my horse and jumps on and tries to ride away! I spent like 30 minutes trying to lasso and tame this black stallion so I shot him in the back as he was riding off. What a jerk!

What a suicidal maniac you mean! Man, some of these people seem to act like fucking crackheads. Why would you jump like that on a heavily armed man!

Still damn cool though.

Can't wait to get home and play some more... a question:

Can you fistfight? Like, is there a way to fight non-lethaly?

It'd be cool to knock's someone's pistol out of his hand and then go and kick his ass.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Pas on May 19, 2010, 01:52:43 PM
Quote from: Stefen on May 19, 2010, 01:12:10 PM

What a suicidal maniac you mean! Man, some of these people seem to act like fucking crackheads. Why would you jump like that on a heavily armed man!

Still damn cool though.

Can't wait to get home and play some more... a question:

Can you fistfight? Like, is there a way to fight non-lethaly?

It'd be cool to knock's someone's pistol out of his hand and then go and kick his ass.

Yes, there is fist fighting. Just choose fists from your weapons menu. It's a fairly simplistic system and I don't know if you can make anyone drop their gun. You can tackle someone to the ground and whale on them. I would suggest (if you haven't already) shooting someone when you are really close to them...it will cut to a closeup that is quite grisly. I was somewhat stunned the first time it happened.

Robyn

My 360 has been broken for like a year (red ring of death), but I'm gonna fix it now after I've read about this game. It sounds so fun. :shock:

Pas

Quote from: cinemanarkissed link=topic=9420.msg292090#msg292090
Yes, there is fist fighting. Just choose fists from your weapons menu. It's a fairly simplistic system and I don't know if you can make anyone drop their gun.

Sweet thanks for the info!

Also: yes you can make someone drop their gun! It also gives you double fame or something like that because it's harder than killing.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

God damn it, my wallet is going to get its ass kicked between the new Criterion releases and new game releases.  Above all else, however, I'm making damn sure I get my hands on Starcraft 2 which comes out in the fall (Blizzard willing) but that's hardly what I'm losing any sleep over.

I am over anxious about Fallout: New Vegas.  Has anyone been reading much about this?

What I'm noticing is that Fallout 3 was in a lot of ways a remake of Fallout, just in a new location and some new story trends, but they parallel each other a lot, whether it be being let loose from your vault to go explore right down to choosing whether or not to let mutants flourish in the wasteland.

Fallout: New Vegas however looks like a remake of Fallout 2 in a way.  I'm sure plenty of the story will be the same, but reportedly Fallout 3 delineated from 1 & 2's storyline, but New Vegas will pick it right back up.  And what I'm most pumped about is that it's not all "end of the world" stuff.  I like that in games, but it's overplayed.  What's great about Fallout 2 and what will be echoed in New Vegas is a lot of moral decisions, to capture slaves and make money or to risk your life to free as many slaves as possible.  To deal drugs or to stop drug trafficking... Ah, war never changes.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

I bought RDR this week, then UFC: 2010 next week, then probably Alan Wake (if I can find it used) and then Fallout: New Vegas in the fall. Crazy time for games right now.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Plainview

Plainview (by day)

*UPDATED* Now with photos you can actually see.

Pubrick

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on May 19, 2010, 04:51:47 PM

Plainview

Plainview (by day)

um i don't think you can link to your email attachments as if they were jpegs..  :yabbse-undecided:
under the paving stones.