Best movie so far this decade?

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 04, 2003, 04:44:12 PM

Ernie

Quote from: Phil MarloweI was being sarcastic.

I didn't like Moulin Rouge at all but I can see why people would consider it brilliant. Just thought it was annoying. Not trying to offend you.

I used to really love it but lately I've been wondering what I think of it. I guess I'm starting to get annoyed by it too. It's just so fucking cartoonish...it's hard to relate to it...and those slow motion shots of satine coughing are just laughably awful. All of the style is really isolating to me.

SHAFTR

Moulin Rouge was the most obnoxious film I have ever seen.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

phil marlowe

I allways saw it as the really good movie i couldn't stand. The camera movements and the fast zooms that i really loved in romeo + juliet seemed annoying and itching.

And I HATED the medley songs.

children with angels

I really think the film should end when the onscreen play ends - I think that would be amazing. Not having Satine die at the end, and leaving you with that moment of joy as the curtains close, villain vanquished, lovers reunited - you'd come out so happy... Then after a little while you'd remember what's going to happen to her and it would just be like, "fuck". I think that would be fantastic. But Nooo... they have to give us the obligatory death scene and the "Tell our story, Christian..."
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

MacGuffin

Quote from: children with angelsI personally think that anything trying to ressurrect the Musical as genre is cool in my book too.

You obviously have not seen:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

children with angels

Holy FuckGod ! No, I haven't... Does Duvall dance? That I would love to see...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

MacGuffin

Quote from: children with angelsDoes Duvall dance? That I would love to see...

No he doesn't. Actually, the 'star' of the film is Christian Bale.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Why is it that the majority of discussion on this board seems to be people criticizing and complaining about movies rather than praising them? It seems that much of the discussion concentrates on the flaws (some of which are minor at best) of a film rather than what's good about it. I mean, I read some of the posts and I wonder why some of you even watch movies in the first place; you seem to hate everything about them. (no offense to anyone specifically)

Gold Trumpet

I hardly ever post on something being just good. I only do it when I feel it is not getting due respect or I really really loved it. I think it is the seeds of discussion though, in order for it to continue people must disagree. It also looks silly when people just post on how good something is. I think arguments against are more interesting. It's just in my personality, where people in my own life are completely convinced I feed off of chaos.

~rougerum

Newtron

Quote from: cbrad4dWhy is it that the majority of discussion on this board seems to be people criticizing and complaining about movies rather than praising them?
Because for a 98%-male board, there's a disturbingly high amount of whining bitches.

Also, it's the internet.

jmj

Quote from: NewtronBecause for a 98%-male board, there's a disturbingly high amount of whining bitches.

Hot damn!
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

phil marlowe

NEON MERCURY

....as for best decade 2000-10 ...easy... its mulholland dr.

the only film(s) that come close would be.....amores perros, in the bedroom, and spider.......

SHAFTR

I honestly believe Punch-Drunk Love.

EDIT: After 3 years of thinking about it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTRI honestly believe Punch-Drunk Love.

it makes a great  choice......and  maybe the ice storm.....and as for pure Hollyw$$D...american beauty......