Oscar Predictions and Final Awards Comments

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2004, 12:31:11 PM

SHAFTR

This Just In...

The Academy has given the Best Director Prize to Apple Computers, the true creators of LotR.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Obstruction

What happened to NW she was of my perspective fantastic in 21 grams I now she didn't get ugly and didn't became ugly but does niples they shure needed to be given some kind af award meyby the commity should consider to make a new award for partly nudity.
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Find Your MagaliMurray certainly had a sourpuss look on his face from the moment his clip was shown to the moment Sean Penn was announced.

Poor guy. Comedians are so rarely honored.
Next time I see him I'll make sure to tell him, "Yea, well Sean wasn't even nominated for the Independent Spirit Award"

©brad

+[/size]
blake edwards tribute (what an entrance! hah)
jack black/will farrell singing (breathing sum much needed life into this tiresome show)
billy crystal's beginning (although not his best)
LOTR (i'm glad they all finally won)
sofia w/ best screenplay (she always looks so uncomfortable and out of place-- give us a smile or something)
the return of michael moore  :shock:
the mighty wind performance
using the billy madison score to segue into commercials (please don't tell me i'm the only one who noticed)
adrian brody freshinin' his breath- classic.

-[/size]
too tame-- fear of another nipple= no fun for anyone
pretty predictable
too much time devoted to best song (really, who cares)
best animated short/short doc./sound editing need to be taken off (through them w/ the other awards that don't matter during the science/technology show)
unmoving tributes/montages
playing the same cue from the LoTR score all 11 times (it got annoying- so many more inspired pieces of music they coulda used)
people who are nominated for awards should not be presenters. they do this every year. it's stupid to have fucking renee zellwegger up there presenting only to bring her back 5 seconds later for her award. it takes away some of the uhh.... glamour of going up there in the first place.

all in all[/size]
meh

i dunno, there will inevitably be a ton of trash talkin on the LoTR sweep (esp. on this board) but i'm glad it won. i just wished the show had a bit more...juicy juice.

Jeremy Blackman

I think the word "sweep" has been redefined...

:yabbse-angry:

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I can't believe LOTR won Best Picture.  The films were good, but not profound in my opinion.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: RaviI can't believe LOTR won Best Picture.  The films were good, but not profound in my opinion.

Well, it's not exactly like there's a long history of truly "profound" Best Picture winners.

But, all things considered, I certainly think ROTK, as the wildly entertaining capper of an unparalleled trilogy, was as "deserving" as just about any Best Picture winner ever.

ono

©brad spoke my thoughts.  Great for Sofia, but poor Bill.  He deserves it, and won't get a shot for a long while, barring a miracle.  And the sweep sucked.  Jack and Will were the highlight of the show.  The opening speeches were corny, though that changed.  Renee winning sucked, but how dare you speak ill of Lisa Kudrow, who has true talent which hasn't really been realized all too much.

modage

a few notes/thoughts from myself....

1. the oscars dont neccesarily mean shit.  sometimes they get it right and award the right movie/person, and in those cases its icing on the cake.  a lot of times they dont, and the person/film is soon forgotten.  oscar worthless to anyone but them.  

that having been said

2. charlize theron, unfortunately, will soon join a list of people who won oscars for standout performances, the likes of which they will never repeat.  adrien brody, hilary swank, charlize theron, etc.  these are not names anyone will remember in 50 years time.  tom cruise, if the bastard never gets one, will be.  the worst thing that could've happened to theron was to win tonite.  all the buzz/notice the nomination got her could've put her safely on a list of actresses continuing to do good work, but unfortunately i doubt it will happen.  this is the high point of her career/life, and its all downhill from here.  i feel sorry for her.  

3.  sofia coppola is a similar situation.  she's too young, and she just doesnt deserve it.  for her to have an oscar and stanley kubrick to be without one is like a fucking joke.  its her second film, its goals were small and they were mostly accomplished.  unfortunately now comes the worst: trying to follow up a huge unexpected success with another one.  even if her next film is 'as good' as LiT, it wont be lookd at the same way, because then expectations were none and we were wowed more easily.  now shes an oscar winner and all eyes are on her next project or two.  if it runs in the family, she'll freeze up and probably never get this level of success again.  so again, her career/life is downhill from here.

4. lord of the rings, even though i am not a HUGE fan of the series, and the latest is possibly my least favorite with the most problems, i'm really glad they won and i think they deserved every one.  its almost ridiculous to even have to compare a movie that probably took 6 months from idea to final cut, to one that took 6 years.  one that took 1 month to film, or 1 1/2 years.  so sure, it wasnt perfect, but the goals were real fucking high, and you have to A. give them credit for trying and B. award them for getting most of the way there.  lost in translation is a beautiful sketch on a piece of paper.  lord of the rings is a 30 foot painting.  the figures arent perfect but shit, they went for it.  so good job to peter jackson for doing his part in helping to legitimize the fantasy genre and for the second sequel EVER to win best picture, (the FIRST where the predecessor didnt win).  wow, i never would've expected this a year ago.

highlight of the show was the ferrell/black song.  hilarious.  they need to work together.  heres my dream cast for a new comedy...
ben stiller, jack black, owen wilson, will ferrell, vince vaughn.  they've all worked together in multiples of a few, but never ALL in one movie.  THAT would be funny.

lowpoint, although i dont think murray deserved to win for this performance, i wanted him to win because he'll probably never be up again and i know HE wanted to win.  penn will be up 100 more times and now that depps in the club he probably will too.  poor bill, maybe by some long shot he'll be up for Life Aquatic if its really good (since the academy is usually ALWAYS a year or two late awarding people.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weird. Oh

I really felt bad for Bill. I think he should have won (although I haven't seen Mystic River so I can't compare). I think he should have been nominated for Rushmore and now that he lost for LIT I just don't think the academy will ever recognize a true comedian giving an excellent performance. Its such irony that  Zellweger won because her performance was so bad. I didn't for one second believe that she was that real character. She seemed so out of place in Cold Mountain IMO. These oscars were really boring IMO. I hate sweeps of awards. One Bright spot for me was the gorgeous Scarlett. She looked stunning.  :lol:
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

xerxes

Quote from: themodernage02
3.  sofia coppola is a similar situation.  she's too young, and she just doesnt deserve it.

i'm sorry but she really did

Ravi

4. lord of the rings, even though i am not a HUGE fan of the series, and the latest is possibly my least favorite with the most problems, i'm really glad they won and i think they deserved every one.  its almost ridiculous to even have to compare a movie that probably took 6 months from idea to final cut, to one that took 6 years.  one that took 1 month to film, or 1 1/2 years.  so sure, it wasnt perfect, but the goals were real fucking high, and you have to A. give them credit for trying and B. award them for getting most of the way there.  lost in translation is a beautiful sketch on a piece of paper.  lord of the rings is a 30 foot painting.  the figures arent perfect but shit, they went for it.  so good job to peter jackson for doing his part in helping to legitimize the fantasy genre and for the second sequel EVER to win best picture, (the FIRST where the predecessor didnt win).  wow, i never would've expected this a year ago.

I don't really care too much how long it took to make the film.  Didn't Waterworld and Heaven's Gate take a long time to make?  The LOTR films were entertaining to me, but they didn't move me.  I haven't seen Mystic River, which is supposed to be terrific, or Seabiscuit, which is supposed to be very good.

Quotehighlight of the show was the ferrell/black song.  hilarious.  they need to work together.  heres my dream cast for a new comedy...
ben stiller, jack black, owen wilson, will ferrell, vince vaughn.  they've all worked together in multiples of a few, but never ALL in one movie.  THAT would be funny.

That song was pretty good in an otherwise blah show, though I did like the opener with Billy Crystal in the nominated films.  I think I'll hop on over to the Scarlett thread and witness all the fawning.

modage

Quote from: xerxes
3.  sofia coppola is a similar situation.  she's too young, and she just doesnt deserve it.
well i guess we'll see about that.  but i have a feeling she wont live up to deserving that oscar.  (and keep in mind, this is coming from someone who saw virgin suicides on opening weekend and ranked it among his top 5 that year and Lost in Translation at a sneak preview and ranked it in his top 3.)  i liked it, but i still dont think it deserves it.  time will tell if she can deliver such 'great' writing to film after film, because i think she's gonna choke.  she cant handle this pressure, and she's gonna freeze up (because secretly she knows she doesnt deserve it either  its too much too fast too young).  i hope she can prove me wrong.
Quote from: RaviI don't really care too much how long it took to make the film.  Didn't Waterworld and Heaven's Gate take a long time to make?  The LOTR films were entertaining to me, but they didn't move me.  I haven't seen Mystic River, which is supposed to be terrific, or Seabiscuit, which is supposed to be very good.
yeah but you're missing my point.  waterworld and heavens gate were overblown pieces of shit.  disasters with critcs/audiences.  lord of the rings is (even if its not your taste) atleast decent/good films regardless of whether they're the deepest moving pieces of work you've seen.  they aimed really REALLY high and got a lot of the way there.  thats more than most.  its easier to set your sights on a mystic river and come away a winner than a lotr.  its more of a challenge and i think that should be taken into consideration.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

xerxes

Quote from: xerxes
well i guess we'll see about that.  but i have a feeling she wont live up to deserving that oscar.  (and keep in mind, this is coming from someone who saw virgin suicides on opening weekend and ranked it among his top 5 that year and Lost in Translation at a sneak preview and ranked it in his top 3.)  i liked it, but i still dont think it deserves it.  time will tell if she can deliver such 'great' writing to film after film, because i think she's gonna choke.  she cant handle this pressure, and she's gonna freeze up (because secretly she knows she doesnt deserve it either  its too much too fast too young).  i hope she can prove me wrong.

even if you're right in your assumption that she will "freeze up" and never write another good film, the award she got was not a lifetime achievement award.  her future success has no bearing on this award.  the film she made, and was nominated for, was amazingly beautiful, amazingly well written and probably deserved best picture as well.  

and bill murray was robbed