Yesterday was perhaps the greatest day of my life...

Started by Chest Rockwell, January 18, 2004, 09:05:41 AM

Chest Rockwell

...because I saw four films at the cinema.

11:45 AM- The Cooler, starring William H. Macy, Maria Bello, Alec Baldwin; directed by Wayne Kramer, written by Wayne Kramer and Frank Hannah
Comments: I thought it was very good. Macy has certainly patented the 'all-around loser'

1:45 PM- Lost In Translation, starring Bill Murray, Scarlet Johannson; written/directed by Sofia Coppola
Comments: Good for the second viewing...I'mabe pissed if it doesn't win Best Picture

3:55 PM- Big Fish, starring Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney; directed by Tim Burton, written by John August
Comments: I loved it! This is probably my second favorite comedy of the year, behind only Lost in Translation, of course. This is just further proof to the talent of McGregor.

6:00-6:30 PM - Lunch

6:30-7:00 PM - Dinner

7:00-9:00 PM - Recooperation

9:35 PM - 21 Grams, starring Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, Benicio Del Toro; written/directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
Comments: Fucking amazing! The acting was rediculously good. There better be some fucking Oscars for this.

Seeing as how the last movie ended at about 11:30, that's the close of my day. It was certainly a good day for me.

Pas

Prepare to be pissed...not that I don't think it wouldn't deserve it though.

Chest Rockwell

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

mine is two... but they were very good: Luna Papa and Traffic
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffinMy record is 6 in one day at the cinema.

Which 6?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

samsong

I did four in one day this passed winter break (i'm in high school)

saw:

Triplets of Belleville - admired its ambition and imagination but the film was lacking in its narrative... the "story through sound and visuals" wasn't as successful as I was lead to believe it would be.  Excellent, excellent animation though... very very trippy and wildly invigorating.
The Fog of War - fascinating documentary, but another film that I admired more than enjoyed.  Nothing resonates.  But it's very interesting and there's much to be taken away from it.  A must see for any history buff or someone heavily interested in politics... I'm neither of those.
Monster - Charlize Theron will win the Oscar.  There are performances I prefer from this year (Naomi Watts in 21 Grams, Shu Qi in Millennium Mambo, Keisha Castle-Hughes in Whale Rider, a criminally underrated Zooey Deschanel in All the Real Girls) but her performance fits under the "de-glam female" genre that the Acamdey's been awarding so abundantly.  Plus she does a remarkable job... overacts a bit, I thought, but one of the year's best performances (just in case you didnt know...).  Great film, very disturbing but it's a bit too similar to Raging Bull for me, which isn't necessarily bad but there wasn't anything fresh about the film.  It felt too familiar.  Good nonetheless.  Christian Ricci is herrendous though.. she nearly killed the movie for me.
The Company - Altman's tender love letter to the Joffrey ballet and a vehicle for him to invest a bit of himself into (there are undercurrents of a "plight of a director" subplot that works brilliantly and is most definitely amusing to anyone aspiring to become a filmmaker).  The Company is completely unconventional and achingly beautiful in how delicate it is.  I loved every minute of it and it's one of my favorite films of the year.  Malcolm McDowell gives a stellar performance and proves that he still has it.  He did it in  Gangster No. 1 but here he's in a much better film.  Gorgeously shot, brilliantly nuanced... a near perfect film.

afterwards i regretted not making it five.  Japanese Story was playing at the same theater.

cine

That last post ultimately confirmed that I look forward to each and every post that samsong makes.

Quote from: CinephileThat last post ultimately confirmed that I look forward to each and every post that samsong makes.

i ,too, was impressed with it.
context, context, context.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeOnce I masturbated three times in one day.

that belongs here
context, context, context.

kotte

Quote from: chuckhimselfo

that belongs here

Sweet!

Alethia

did it start to burn??