Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Jeremy Blackman

NPR's All Songs Considered had Thom Yorke as a "guest DJ" a little while ago. It's pretty fantastic.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18960914

brockly

MacGuffin

YES!!! Got tickets for both nights at the Hollywood Bowl!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 11, 2008, 06:42:55 PM
NPR's All Songs Considered had Thom Yorke as a "guest DJ" a little while ago. It's pretty fantastic.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18960914

This was awesome. I want that Modeselektor Skip Divided remix.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

brockly

Quote from: Stefen on April 12, 2008, 02:50:10 PM
I want that Modeselektor Skip Divided remix.

here.

i'd recommend getting the whole album. i downloaded it a while ago and there are some other really good remixes on it, especially the burial one and atoms for peace.

Stefen

Quote from: brockly on April 12, 2008, 10:55:57 PM
Quote from: Stefen on April 12, 2008, 02:50:10 PM
I want that Modeselektor Skip Divided remix.

here.

i'd recommend getting the whole album. i downloaded it a while ago and there are some other really good remixes on it, especially the burial one and atoms for peace.

Thank you.  :yabbse-grin:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

That was really boring. I just don't find that song very exciting or fun.

They should have played Nude.

MacGuffin

Radiohead Coming To You From the Basement

Before Radiohead embark on their massive world tour in support of their fantastic, industry-revolutionizing In Rainbows, they've got a very special evening planned. On May 3rd, VH1 will be airing Radiohead_In Rainbows_From The Basement, an intimate live performance the boys filmed in the studio. In addition to songs from In Rainbows, they'll also be playing some of your other favorites.

http://blog.vh1.com/2008-04-28/sneak-peek-radiohead-in-your-basement/

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

I get to see them in Houston after all!

I posted a message on the Ticket section of the At Ease messageboard and after sitting there for probably a month, someone responded. The amazing thing is that they sold them for ticket price - and these are covered reserved seats. I think I actually came out a little less than TM or w.a.s.t.e. because she didn't care about shipping. Now I think even lawn tickets are over $100 at most places.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

Atease is a great message board. I hang out there daily. The YSI thread is EPIC.

Neil

I wasn't sure if this had been done yet, but here is a fairly recent show live at the bbc...this links should all be working, let me know if they don't, i'll re up it

RS:
http://link-protector.com/465698/
SS:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gryfxo
MU:
http://link-protector.com/465696/
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

Thom Yorke: Radiohead's stunt was 'one-off'
Band won't offer unpriced downloads again
By Mimi Turner; Hollywood Reporter

LONDON -- They turned the music sales model on its head, but indie rockers Radiohead won't be repeating their decision to let fans choose what to pay for their downloads, frontman Thom Yorke told The Hollywood Reporter.

"I think it was a one-off response to a particular situation," Yorke said of the band's downloading policy for the album "In Rainbows."

"It was one of those things where we were in the position of everyone asking us what we were going to do," he said. "I don't think it would have the same significance now anyway, if we chose to give something away again. It was a moment in time."

Radiohead's decision to allow fans to pay into the online equivalent of an honesty box for the album came shortly after the band walked away from troubled record label EMI, sparking a slew of comment about the future direction of the music industry and the dwindling revenue pot from CD sales.

The band has remained quiet about whether the experiment was a success, with many fans thought to have downloaded the album without paying anything at all. "In Rainbows" later was released as a CD.

But the groundbreaking move toward potentially free music has been adopted by a number of artists including Prince and Nine Inch Nails. On Monday, Coldplay began giving away its new single "Violet Hill" free of charge, resulting in the site crashing due to demand.

Speaking as Radiohead was promoting its pro-social initiative with MTV against sex- and labor trafficking, Yorke said successful bands have new ways to communicate directly with fans.

"We are about that direct relationship (now) because we are big enough to establish that," he said.

Under the music broadcaster's EXIT (end exploitation and trafficking) campaign, MTV and Radiohead have jointly produced a video for the "In Rainbows" track "All I Need," which will premiere Thursday on all of MTV's channels and sites around the world. (Watch video here.)

Yorke said the band linked with MTV to highlight such issues as child slavery, enforced servitude and sex trafficking because it was "about exploiting a situation while you have the chance."

"All power to MTV for taking this on because its obviously going to be difficult for them in terms of the advertisers," he said. "With the ('All I Need') video, their lawyers had to beg to make sure there wasn't a single white trainer with a logo on it because the implication would be a little too close. But the implication is still there."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Radiohead Join Forces With MTV's Campaign Against Human Trafficking For 'All I Need' Video
Frontman Thom Yorke calls clip, which debuts across all MTV channels on Thursday, 'quite powerful.'
By James Montgomery; MTV

Thom Yorke has never been one to keep his political views to himself. And when he was contacted by MTV to take part in a campaign against human trafficking, he decided to play things close to the vest. Because, as he sees it, the issue isn't a political one at all.

"It's cool that MTV is taking this up, because normally, this is something I only get to talk to people about who are considered 'extreme left-wing' or whatever, but it's good it's hitting the mainstream, because I don't consider it a left-wing issue; I consider it a political-stability issue," he told MTV UK. "I think if [the campaign] does one good thing, it would be to make this concept of slavery — which is what it is — less taboo. If they can make it something that is OK for us to talk about, and for politicians in the West to actually accept that this is an issue, well, then we're doing a good thing."

And so Yorke and the rest of his Radiohead bandmates have joined forces with MTV EXIT (End Exploitation and Trafficking) to produce a music video for "All I Need," a song from their In Rainbows album, which will be broadcast globally on Thursday in the hopes of raising awareness to the more than 2.5 million men, women and children who are forced, defrauded or coerced into various forms of labor or prostitution.

"They've produced a video of two parallel stories running, one of a little boy in the West and one of a little boy in a sweatshop in the East, and the boy [in the West] ends up buying the shoes from the sweatshop. It's actually quite powerful," Yorke said. "It's the sort of images I have in my head anyway. Sometimes when you're walking down High Street and you're looking at the incredibly cheap [sneakers], you sort of think, 'Hmmm, well how did they manage to make that so cheaply?' It sort of reminds me of one of my preoccupations, so I'm touched that the music goes with that. I think it's great."

The video — which will debut in the States Thursday on MTV, MTV2, mtvU, MTV Tr3s, MTV Hits and MTV.com — was filmed in Australia by Oscar-winning cinematographer John Seale and director Steve Rogers. Following the clip's debut, fans can watch an exclusive interview with Yorke on Think.MTV.com.

The clip has the potential of being seen in more than 560 million households worldwide, which is part of the reason Yorke and his bandmates decided to lend their support. To them, the issue of human trafficking has been kept in the dark for far too long.

"It's an interesting thing, because if you are in the West, it's a luxury to be able to talk about the importance of human rights for everybody, but yet in the East, or the poorer countries where slave labor is going on, if you talk to certain companies, it seems that it's much more important that they're on some sort of economic ladder, and somehow the rights of the workers are secondary to economic growth," Yorke said. "And that I find a very peculiar logic, and I think that's as much about the power of the companies and the profits they're making as it is of any moral stance. So it would be useful when the West talks about human rights, they actually consider countries where, for a lot of workers, it's not really on the agenda yet."

According to the United Nations' International Labour Organization, more than 12 million people worldwide are trapped in forced labor, and some 2.5 million people are victims of human trafficking. The sale of human beings — for sweatshop labor, prostitution, domestic labor and commercial marriages — is the third most lucrative illicit business in the world, after only arms and drug trafficking. The industry generates an estimated $7 billion to $12 billion annually.

While Yorke knows that a single video can't stem the tide, he hopes that the "All I Need" clip can be a beginning step in ushering in global change. And he's not stopping there, either. At each stop on Radiohead's upcoming North American, European and Asian tours, youth activists belonging to anti-human-trafficking organizations will be on hand to distribute information.

"I think it's important for everyone in the West or on High Street to understand the consequences of our economic activity. You must be aware of the level of exploitation that's going on," Yorke said. "It's part of our Western life, and one we should accept responsibility for. There's no such thing as a free lunch or a free ticket to another country."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Have any of you seen Prince's cover of Creep from Coachella?

It's amazing.

It's funny that a song like Creep, a song that was supposed to be a one time rock hit from a gimmicky English brit-pop/alternative band from the early 90's has gone on to be a lesson in songwriting and an early glimpse into the genius of a band that has since gone on to be one of the most critically acclaimed bands of all-time.