Southland Tales

Started by clerkguy23, June 07, 2004, 06:54:09 PM

clerkguy23

The new movie from Donnie Darko's writer/director Richard Kelly. Sounds like it going to be really cool. The website is a lot like Donnie Darko's but it's not finished yet.

So far the cast includes Seann William Scott, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jason Lee, Janeane Garofalo, Kevin Smith, Tim Blake Nelson, and Amy Poehler. It's supposed to be a Musical/Comedy/Thriller/Drama. I'm really excited. Hopefully it will be amazing.

MacGuffin

Johnson lands in Kelly's 'Southland'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will star opposite Seann William Scott and Sarah Michelle Gellar in Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales." Sean McKittrick will produce under the Darko Entertainment banner he co-founded with Kelly, along with Cherry Road Film principals Bo Hyde and Kendall Morgan.

"Southland" is an ensemble piece set in the futuristic landscape of Los Angeles on July 4, 2008, as it stands on the brink of social, economic and environmental disaster.

Johnson will star as Boxer Santaros, an action star stricken with amnesia whose life intertwines with Krysta Now (Gellar), an adult film star developing her own reality television project, and David Clark (Scott), a Hermosa Beach police officer who holds the key to a vast conspiracy.

Principal photography is slated to begin Aug. 1 in Los Angeles.

"The film is going to be a strange hybrid of the sensibilities of Andy Warhol and Philip K. Dick," Kelly said in a statement.

The executive producers are Matthew Rhodes and Judd Payne of Persistent Entertainment, Bill Johnson and Jim Seibel of Inferno Distribution and Oliver Hengst of Academy Film Gmbh.

Cherry Road Films is co-financing with Universal Pictures International, Inferno Distribution and Wild Bunch, with Universal distributing in most foreign territories through the UIP banner and Wild Bunch distributing in France, Benelux, Spain and Switzerland. UTA is representing on the domestic front.

Kelly is bringing in key crew he used in "Donnie Darko" for "Southland," including director of photography Steven Poster, production designer Alexander Hammond, costume designer April Ferry and editor Sam Bauer.

Also joining the project is Moby, who will compose the music.

Like he did for "Darko," Kelly is creating an elaborate Web site that will help breathe life into the world he is creating. Also, he is writing six separate 100-page graphic novels that will be released over a six-month period before the film's release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I've been following this project for a while and now that I've read this news  I really can't wait. Sarah Michelle Gellar as a adult film star and Seann William Scott as a police officer, count me in.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin"The film is going to be a strange hybrid of the sensibilities of Andy Warhol and Philip K. Dick," Kelly said in a statement.
haha, i'll bet thats just what studio executives want to hear....

also: if this cant give moby temporary cred again, nothing will.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblor HatesMySpaceandUWebsite, it's fucked up: http://www.southlandtales.com/
left is more fun.
under the paving stones.

Ultrahip

nothing happens at either left or right. is my browser effed up or am i?

Pubrick

Quote from: Ultrahipnothing happens at either left or right. is my browser effed up or am i?
left took me to a puzzle which turned into a weird clip upon assembly. right just went to a launching icon that never launched.
under the paving stones.

72teeth

I love the feeling i get when i think of this film. I read the discription and go on the website and it's like waiting for Punch-Drunk Love all over again. That feeling of "What the fuck!! :crazyeyes:  :yabbse-grin: " while watching those crazy scopitones. And then reading about Bessie and Knowing, it's like "Kelly, Are you Fucking with us Man!!!" Just thinking about all this sets my socks a flame!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

sickfins

Quote from: 72teethI love the feeling i get when i think of this film. I read the discription and go on the website and it's like waiting for Punch-Drunk Love all over again. That feeling of "What the fuck!! :crazyeyes:  :yabbse-grin: " while watching those crazy scopitones. And then reading about Bessie and Knowing, it's like "Kelly, Are you Fucking with us Man!!!" Just thinking about all this sets my socks a flame!

are you richard kelly.

Ultrahip

Has anyone else listened to 'Three Days' by Jane's Addiction? It's the song with "'Til the shadows and the lights were one", a big ten minute thing that I'll bet ends up in the movie. Should be neato.

Stefen

I still haven't finished donnie darko. Watching it is like listening to some band you know you're SUPPOSED to like cause everyone else does. I hate this age frame. I'm gonna call it right now, this Kelly dude is a hack.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jtm

finish the movie before making an assumption.

ya hack.

Ultrahip

SiliasRuby

Yeah, those pics are pretty nice. This is gonna be one awseome flick....hoping.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection