There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

cine

noyes

i mean that genuinely. haha.
besides finally getting to watch the movie and hearing him and DDL answer question after question,
it'll be great to finally be in the same room with the man.
south america's my name.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pedro

raaaa i wish i lived closer to the city/didn't have class wednesday.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on November 28, 2007, 08:21:45 PM
raaaa i wish i lived closer to the city/didn't have class wednesday.

skip class and hitchhike.

together we can make this the worst decision of your life.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Pedro, you'll regret it for the rest of your life if you don't.

You'll always be thinking 'What if?'

Do you really wanna always wonder?

I think you know the answer to that.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

samsong

SiliasRuby

pedro is now having a talk with the little devil and little angel on two of his shoulders wondering...which one should I choose?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

noyes

Little Devil: Do yourself a favor and get your ass to New York City.
Little Angel:.....
Little Devil: Exactly.
south america's my name.

cine

if pedro misses out, the angel and devil will collectively punch him out so bad, it'll be like he was in the middle of a crono/thor brawl.

Pubrick

Quote from: Cinephile on November 29, 2007, 12:05:13 AM
it'll be like he was in the middle of a crono/thor brawl.

while waiting in line at a daft punk concert with mogs and REDACTED

under the paving stones.

Sleepless

If you're in New York - GO!!! Forget about everything else. I have NOTHING to do, but I'm in Dallas :(
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Daniel Day-Lewis' intense role-playing
The actor believes in becoming the characters he portrays. Here are some of his more eye-catching efforts.
By Susan King, Los Angeles Times

Robert De Niro packed on the pounds to play fighter Jake La Motta in 1980's "Raging Bull" and won his only best actor Oscar for his effort. Seven years later, he gained weight for his role as Al Capone in "The Untouchables." On the other side of the scale, Christian Bale and Emile Hirsch got dangerously thin for their roles in "Rescue Dawn" and "Into the Wild," respectively.

But no other contemporary actor has gotten into the skin of a character more than Daniel Day-Lewis, who has taken the Method style of acting further than Stanislavsky could ever have imagined. Not only has Day-Lewis gained and lost weight and changed his hairstyles and accents at the drop of a hat for his roles, he also does enormous hands-on research for his role. To play an American Indian in "The Last of the Mohicans," for example, the 50-year-old British-born actor made a canoe. And his meticulous detail to his craft is on view in his latest film, "There Will Be Blood," in which he plays an oil tycoon, Daniel Plainview.

"What helps me an awful lot is to somehow get rid of the illusion that one is making a film," Day-Lewis once said, "because that in itself creates a sensation of unreality."

Here's a look at the characters Day-Lewis has created over the years:

"My Beautiful Laundrette": After he appeared in small roles in 1982's "Gandhi" and 1984's "The Bounty," movie audiences got their first real look at Day-Lewis in Stephen Frears' 1985 film, which was released in the U.S. in 1986. He played Johnny, a swaggering gay punk with skunk-colored hair.

"A Room With a View": It was hard to believe that the same actor who played Johnny was also the stiff-upper-lipped, priggish British aristocrat Cecil Vyse in the award-winning Merchant-Ivory film, which was also released stateside in 1986.

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being": Day-Lewis learned Czech to playing Tomas, a womanizing doctor in Prague in 1968 in Philip Kaufman's acclaimed adaptation of the Milan Kundera novel. During the eight-month shoot, he remained in character on and off the set. The film, which had several erotic love scenes, turned Day-Lewis into a sex symbol.

"My Left Foot": Day-Lewis won a bushel full of awards, including the best actor Oscar, for his towering, audacious performance in this 1989 biographical drama about Christy Brown, the artist and writer who was born with cerebral palsy into a poor Dublin family. The only part of his body over which he had control was his left foot and it is with that that he learns to express himself through writing and painting. Not only did Day-Lewis downplay his good looks with his close-cropped hair and beard to play Brown, he also immersed himself in all things Brown. Before production began, he rented a house near the Sandymount School and Clinic in Dublin, one of the country's top centers for the treatment of the disabled, and studied the patients. He learned how to paint with his left foot and several of the paintings used in the film were his achievements. As with "Unbearable Lightness," he refused to break character, remaining in his wheelchair throughout the entire shoot even if that meant that he had to be carried by crew members over cables and other obstacles on the set.

"The Last of the Mohicans": Day-Lewis returned to his sex symbol status in Michael Mann's popular 1992 adaptation of the old James Fenimore Cooper tale. Buffed to the max -- he added 20 pounds of muscle to his lean frame with an austere training regime -- Day-Lewis burns up the screen as the brave and romantic Hawkeye. He also studied hunting, woodworking and how to track and skin animals. During the shoot, Day-Lewis steadfastly carried his rifle around during filming and even made his own canoe.

"The Age of Innocence": To prepare for playing the well-educated, high-society attorney Newland Archer in Martin Scorsese's 1993 adaptation of Edith Wharton's novel, Day-Lewis strolled around Manhattan for months wearing 1870s clothing and reeking of perfume.

"In the Name of the Father": Day-Lewis reunited with his "My Left Foot" director Jim Sheridan for this 1993 drama for which he received a best actor Oscar nomination as Gerry Conlon, who as a member of the Guildford Four was unjustly convicted of a bombing that had been carried out by the Provisional IRA. Not only did Day-Lewis lose weight for this role -- he subsided on prison rations -- he kept his Northern Irish accent on and off the set, and would spend periods of time in a prison cell. Day-Lewis insisted that the crew throw cold water on him and utter verbal abuses to mimic Conlon's life in prison.

"The Boxer": Day-Lewis and Sheridan collaborated for the third time in this 1997 drama about a former IRA member and boxer who tries to put his life and career back together after he is released from prison. To play the bulky pugilist, he underwent extensive training with former boxing world champ Barry McGuigan.

"Gangs of New York": After going into "semi-retirement" after "The Boxer" -- delving into his old passion for woodworking, as well as going to Florence, Italy, and becoming an apprentice shoemaker, Day-Lewis returned to celluloid in 2002 in Martin Scorsese's epic set in 1860s New York. Day-Lewis received his third Academy Award nomination for his no-holds-barred turn as New York City gang leader Bill "the Butcher." For his role, he took lessons to become an apprentice butcher. But his fervid dedication to the part is believed to have led to a severe case of pneumonia because he refused to wear a warmer coat when it got cold on location in Rome. Why? The garment was not in keeping with the time period.

"There Will Be Blood": For his role as the fiery oil man in Paul Thomas Anderson's adaptation of Upton Sinclair's "Oil!," Day-Lewis again physically transformed himself down to his Snidely Whiplash mustache and booming voice that recalls director John Huston and his famous father, actor Walter Huston. He also spent two years studying that period in American history and learned how to operate the tools of turn-of-the-century oilmen.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

md

nope.  :yabbse-grin:

edit: One of the workers at Moving Image just called me up asking where I heard about the prescreening since it wasn't publicized.  I simply told them they best damn website in the world.  Apparently some people have been abusing their online ticket sales system so he told me he was taking it off their website.  I bought 82 tickets.   
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche