A new Coen Brothers fan

Started by Spike, September 16, 2003, 08:26:31 AM

Spike

Lots of filmgeeks seem to love the Coen Bros.' movies but I just missed their work. I mean, I just have seen "Fargo" and "O Brother Where Art Thou?" by them and I really loved those two films but I always kind of forgot to see some other Coen films.
So, about two weeks ago my mother bought me Ethan Coens book "Gates to Eden" (I hope this is the right title - I got the German translated version) and I purely LOVED it. It was so great written and the storys are so goddamn perfect. No I'm really going to buy some Coen films on DVD.
But with which one should I start? I mean, should I follow some kind of pattern in buying their films or should I just buy how it comes along?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Find Your Magali

Of the ones you haven't seen, my personal favorites are Blood Simple (their first film, essentially a film noir); Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski (comedies).

Others would correctly recommend such films as Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink.

Enjoy your journey into the realm of the Coen brothers!

Sigur Rós

Buy Big Lebowski that should make you thirsty for more!

kotte

After having read Gates of Eden you can really see where the genious in their scripts comes from. I would love to know how their writing-routine works. I'm sure Joel brings alot to the scripts but the dialogue is Ethan.

I don't know, this could be all wrong but after having read this...

And yes, Big Lebowski kicks fucking ass!!!

markums2k

Coen movies always have a really solid, full feel to them... at least for me.  Even when the subject matter doesn't appeal to me, I get wrapped up in the story (prime examples: Raising Arizona, Barton Fink)

The only exception has been The Man Who Wasn't There.  I wasn't interested to begin with, and it never swept me off my feet.  I was a little disappointed.  :(

kotte

Quote from: markums2kI was a little disappointed.  :(

Fuck, The Man Who Wasn't There is great. So funny and beautiful...

That's too bad, You missed something great.

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteFuck, The Man Who Wasn't There is great. So funny and beautiful...

That's too bad, You missed something great.

You said it, man.
Si

Walter Sobchak

Well, personnally, and because no one asked me, I'd say that "The Big Lebowski" is a great introduction to the Coen Brothers universe (damn ! am I the only one here to think that this is a PERFECT story ?)

Now that's been said, let's go to work...  :twisted:

kotte

I agree...it's a great story...

Quote from: Walter SobchakNow that's been said, let's go to work...  :twisted:

If this is your signature I'd recommend you putting it as your signature in your profile...just a suggestion. :)

Walter Sobchak

Well, after having seen this movie maybe forty times, I'm still searching for these little details that can make the difference between a great story, and a perfect story... And I haven't found yet !
That's why I say : PERFECT !
(say it ain't, and you're entering a world of pain !)

About my signature... this is not my signature.
You wouldn't like to see my real signature (Karl Mundt style, know what I mean ?  :twisted: )

kotte

Quote from: Walter SobchakAbout my signature... this is not my signature.
You wouldn't like to see my real signature (Karl Mundt style, know what I mean ?  :twisted: )

Sure...

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

ElPandaRoyal

Si

kotte

Quote from: Walter Sobchak(damn ! am I the only one here to think that this is a PERFECT story ?)

It ain't the story that makes a film perfect. It's what's done with it.

I'm a bright bright man.