Edgar Wright

Started by MacGuffin, February 22, 2012, 05:41:18 PM

jenkins

I remember the time of Pilgrim's release so well. how I went opening weekend and it wasn't a packed house. how he hadn't broken into the mainstream through his cult hits, and what happened was his most cult movie. Bacall lived in this (my) neighborhood at the time (a little later Lowery did for a spell too). it was a movie of cultural energy and the general contemporary public doesn't give a damn about cultural energy

I think there's been a clear path toward the creation of movies composed by the interior of a protagonist. the Cornetto trilogy developed into The World's End, Scott Pilgrim assembled itself through disparate cultural materials, and Baby Driver was hardwired into its protagonist through Wright's own devices. Baby Driver is so far his only movie that's just him. Last Night in Soho is another coeffort and there's every reason to believe that what will happen is a movie that expresses its protagonist through the movie

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on May 25, 2021, 06:34:38 PM
Baby Driver is so far his only movie that's just him.

Totally. Was just expressing this same sentiment to a friend of mine that's very disillusioned with Wright's use of form.

When I went to see Scott Pilgrim it was the day after Sophomore year Homecoming, and we changed from party gear to homemade sex bob-omb shirts that morning. It was the first movie I got to see with my younger brother without our parents, and with my HS friends there too it just was a blast of garage rock inspiration. Like, oh yeah, perhaps relevancy residez in spirit.

jenkins

that's a cool way to see Pilgrim. my closest similar experience was the inverse: I convinced two Taco Bell coworkers to wear their prom clothes to see The Fast and the Furious with me. we had no idea what that franchise would become, it happened that way purely because of timing

WorldForgot