The Souvenir

Started by jenkins, May 21, 2019, 07:00:11 PM

jenkins

writer/director Joanna Hogg
acting debut of Tilda Swinton's daughter, Honor Swinton Byrne

Honor gives a stellar performance. does her performance make people who've spent their entire lives learning to act cry? you can't this gracefully immediately enter, for example, writing or directing, you know. i mean she really brings it. what i most like about Joanna Hogg is her age. she's currently 59. i think it's cool she made this movie. i think the movie was okay. understated dramas leave me underwhelmed, that seems like an inevitable occurrence

Something Spanish

Really want to see this one

jenkins

3-4 clutch scenes and a powerful lingering feeling. just not sure why i'd watch it again kind of thing

Something Spanish

saw this last week. kind of movie where i kind of get rotten tomatoes giving it 90% while the audience rating is like 10%. it was good, just dragged a bit much for me. also projector was doing this light play were it would be bright, then dim, then back to bright, then dim again, which did not help the experience.

Something Spanish

Second viewing last night, it's a good movie, but the thing just drags like a motherfucker those last 20/30 min. Too much of the same back and forth for my taste, still had a lot I liked, all having to do with the conversation of filming life as experienced through the individual as opposed to how it really is,

jenkins

what about the super sad ending that totally lands it

Drenk

Weird movie, The Souvenir. A movie about a guilty rich young woman, made by what I assume is a guilty rich old woman, its self awareness doesn't make the movie richer. Critics admire movies doing ellipses. Look: I've watched a lot of Pialat recently and his narratives are always broken into pieces, but he's constantly filming something interesting. Movies like The Souvenir are only pointing what they are not filming; so you're witnessing all the dull parts of an art girl getting involved with a shady dude. (It could have been called University Story.)

Asymmetry, the first novel of Lisa Halliday, is better at capturing the divide between immediate personal history and something more foreign in fiction. The Souvenir hints at something similar, yes. But it doesn't really do anything. That's what it does, you know. It hints.

Good actors.
Ascension.