Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Bethie

I just started watching Lost. Half way through the second season. Walt talking backwards is one of the scariest images I've ever seen.

I already put in my prediction for the last episode. haha. my friend got really pissed at me. I'm like "John Locke and that cop woman are the only two that survive."

I'm glad I never skimmed this thread.
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Everything you need to know about Lost's final season
Source: SciFi Wire

Annoyed because ABC hasn't released one new moment from Lost's upcoming sixth and final season? Dying for some spoilers to jazz you up for the final episodes involving all things Jack and Locke and Kate and Sawyer and that mysterious TARDIS of an island?

Well, Lost executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof are finally talking, at least to The Hollywood Reporter, and while they are being cagey when it comes to spoilers, they are giving us enough to make us wish Lost were starting tonight.

Cuse and Lindelof say that the sixth season will focus on the battle between Jack (Matthew Fox) and Locke (Terry O'Quinn). (Isn't he dead?)

"Jack and Locke have always been at the center of the show, that dilemma of faith vs. reason, and the conflict between those two characters has been there since the beginning," Cuse said. "It's very exciting to bring that relationship to its conclusion, and we can't really be any less vague about that."

The sixth season, they say, will be similar in tone to season one. "We're employing a different narrative device, which we feel is creating some emotional and heartfelt stories, and we want the audience to have a chance in the final season to remember the entire history of the show," Cuse said. "So we have actors coming back like, Dominic [Monaghan] and Ian [Somerhalder]. We're hoping to achieve a circularity of the entire journey so the ending is reminiscent of the beginning."

As far as what the "narrative device" is that doesn't involve flashbacks or flash-forwards, they're not saying. "Musical numbers. If you love Bollywood movies, you will love this season," joked Cuse.

Lost has never rested on its laurels, said Lindelof. "Not because we're trying to be artsy, but the show demands constant shifts to best tell the story. We've known what we were going to do for a couple years now, and there's been a tremendous amount of work setting up the premise so it would work. But we're still wondering, 'Will it work? Will the audience understand? What's the reaction going to be like?'"

The final episode will be written by Lindelof and Cuse, with Jack Bender directing. But before we get there, we have to start at the beginning of the season. ABC's special all-night Lost event premieres on Feb. 2 with a recap episode at 8 p.m. ET/PT and then is followed by the two-hour premiere at 9 p.m. (At least unless President Obama holds his State of the Union address on that date; then all bets are off.)

Just to get you started, above is a quickie recap that ABC released this week, called LOST in 8:15!, a sassy video originally created to recap the first three seasons in 8 minutes and 15 seconds. They updated it to get you ready, recapping all five seasons, and it's actually 8 minutes and 40 seconds long now.

Will you tune in on Feb. 2?

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Will Obama bump the Lost premiere? Fans get mad

Forget terrorists and tea-party activists, President Obama is asking for trouble from the scariest group of people yet: Lost fans, who stand to see their much-anticipated final-season premiere pre-empted if the prez slates his State of the Union address for Feb. 2.

The White House is reportedly mulling either Jan. 26 or Feb. 2 for Obama's first State of the Union. If it picks the latter, that messes up ABC's long-announced plans to air a big three-hour Lost event that night to usher in the show's sixth and final season.

It's unclear what that would mean. Would we have to wait one more week for the glorious confusion of more Lost answers that turn into questions? Would the premiere go ahead as scheduled while ABC delays the otherwise live national speech?

We're guessing ABC had to know this was a potential problem, since the president always gives his State of the Union around this time. We're hoping they have a Plan B.

In the meantime, fans have gone viral and seem as batty as a raging polar bear Lost on a twitchy time-traveling island. They've started a save-our-Lost-premiere Twitter campaign to stop Obama. Under the hashtag #NoStateofUnionFeb2, the Losties are threatening, begging and trying to reason with Obama.

Brackmann wrote: "Please Obama, don't crash Lost premiere. We don't need to hear the economy is bad, it's old news, save yourself a speech." zenkitteh added: "Come on Obama!! You are a smart man, you must be a fan of Lost." And WillJRHopkins added: "I'm not an american but if i have to wait for lost any longer i might throw up."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

White House blinks, speech won't pre-empt Lost

Lost fans can breathe a sigh of relief: Looks like even the White House isn't dumb enough to raise their ire. The Obama administration has said that it won't schedule the president's State of the Union speech on Feb. 2, which would pre-empt the sixth and final season premiere of the ABC sci-fi series.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs says that he does not "foresee a scenario" where the ABC show would be pre-empted for the address, according to a report on The Wall Street Journal. (The address will air on Jan. 26.)

This led executive producer Damon Lindelof to exult on Twitter:

@DamonLindelof: OBAMA BACKED DOWN!!!! Groundhog Day is OURS!!!!!!! (God Bless America)
He added:

Okay. So Obama didn't technically "back down." He leveraged Carlton and I to do something on the show. Two words. MORE FROGURT.
Meanwhile, Lost director Jack Bender snagged a prestigious Directors Guild Award nomination for the show's fifth-season finale, "The Incident, Parts 1 & 2." The winners will be named on Jan. 30.

Lost returns on Feb. 2, at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

I never paid attention to Lost before 2 months ago, when I was lent the season one dvd. Since then I've crammed all the rest of it including season 5 in a day and a half. I'm having trouble remembering what life was like before it. I also wonder if I would have stuck with if it if I had watched it week to week on regular tv. Love it. Love it love it love it.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

7 things we CAN tell you about Lost's final season

The cast and creators of ABC's Lost met with reporters Tuesday morning to offer up a few spoilers for the upcoming season premiere and the show's sixth and final season, and we've got a full report for you below. (Like we said, spoilers ahead!)

At a press conference Tuesday in Pasadena, Calif., as part of the Television Critics Association's winter press tour:

Michael and Libby are back

Executive producer Carlton Cuse and co-creator and executive producer Damon Lindelof confirmed that Harold Perrineau, who played Michael, and Cynthia Watros, who played the ill-fated Libby, will return for the final season.

"So, finally, your Libby questions will be answered," Cuse said.

"No, they will not," Lindelof retorted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two-hour season premiere will be epic

"The premiere is definitely like, what? Wait, let me read that part again," said Jorge Garcia, who plays Hurley.

"The premiere this time felt big, though, too. It felt like a finale," added Josh Holloway (Sawyer). "That scale. Wow."

"I think I had to read it about three times before it actually made sense," said Emilie de Ravin (Claire), eliciting laughter from reporters.

"Not helping," Lindelof said. "Get ready to scratch your heads, America."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The premiere will resolve last season's cliffhanger

"The season premiere picks up right after the finale," Cuse said. "And we really don't want to say too much about it. We've obviously been very circumspect about the sixth season. ... Primarily because there's this big cliffhanger. Juliet hits this bomb, there's a white flash. What happened?

"Jack and Faraday were postulating that that was going to re-set the clock, and the Oceanic 815 would fly along and land in Los Angeles if she taps that bomb. And something else happens. Maybe they're still stuck on the island. We don't really want to ... give away what the show is going to be this season. ... That's why we've been very circumspect about what we've said and haven't shown any new footage."

The final season won't answer all your questions

"Obviously, not every question is going to be answered, so obviously some people are going to be upset that these particular questions don't get resolved," Cuse said, adding: "We feel if we just tried to answer questions, it would be very pedantic. Apart from that, we also really embrace this notion that there's a fundamental sort of sense of mystery ... and to sort of demistify that by trying to literally explain everything down to the ... last little ... midichlorian of it all would be a mistake, in our view. So I think there will be hopefully a ... healthy cocktail of answers, mystery, good character resolutions and some surprises."

The final season will feel like the first

"For us, ... there's an inherent process when you're ending something ... to be thinking about the beginning as writers, and in fact the story of the sixth season very specifically has to go back to the beginning to examine a lot of things. ... When you basically say, 'Here's where our character started, A, when we first met them, and here's where they've come to,'" Lindelof said.

"One of the things that I think we're trying to do—all of us, the actors and the writers as well—in the sixth season is to show the audience the 'before,' so they have some sense of 'Oh, this is what he used to be, and who they are now,' so you really get a sense of how far that person's come. And obviously, the process of doing that—not just thinking about it, but doing it on a story level—really makes you feel like we felt in season one."

"What I actually think has been quite fascinating and a credit to Damon and Carlton and the writing staff is that we're in now the sixth season of our show, and we're again changing, or they're again changing, the narrative style of the show," said Daniel Dae Kim (Jin).

The final season won't make everyone happy

"All we can do is put our best foot forward," Lindelof said. "We do feel like the worst ending we could possibly provide everyone who has invested this amount of time and energy into watching the show is the safe ending. The ending that is basically ... what's going to be the most appealing to the most number of people. At the same point, you can't take a risk just to take a risk, because that's a betrayal in and of itself.

"Fortunately for us, we've been talking about how the show's going to end since [ABC entertainment president] Steve [McPherson] gave us an end date three years ago. So we really have no excuse not to say anything other than this is the ending we wanted to do on the terms that we wanted to do it. ... We've had a lot of time to think about it. ... There's certainly a hope on all our parts that everybody ... universally loves the ending that we put forward ... but I don't think it would be Lost if there wasn't ... an ongoing active debate amongst people who watch the show as to whether or not it was a good ending."

There won't be a sequel series

"We are definitively ending this story of these characters ... and the show that we wanted to tell in May, and there's not going to be an implanted sequel. There's not going to be a secret backdoor pilot embedded in that," Cuse said. "The story of Lost ... is coming to a close this May."

"Personally, I'm just feeling a tremendous amount of gratitude, the idea that ... we're getting to end something ... while everybody still cares, while we still love each other, as opposed to everybody saying it's about time," Lindelof said. "This is a sort of once-in-a-lifetime, once-in-a-career experience; for a show that's still performing for the network to allow us to end it is a tremendous gift."

"We came up with the final image of the show a long time ago, when we were first planning out the mythology of the first season," Cuse said. "And then we started adding elements to that as we went along. And, really, ... between the first and second season was when we cooked the mythology ... and we kind of knew what the endpoint was. But as you move to the endpoint, you add elements. And obviously the end is not yet written. And there are certain ... mythological architectural elements that are intact for that. But a lot of the character stuff will get worked out as we go along."

Lost returns Feb. 2 with a two-hour premiere, starting at 9 p.m. ET/PT, and will air Tuesdays at 9.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

Quote from: Derek on January 08, 2010, 07:10:44 PM
I never paid attention to Lost before 2 months ago, when I was lent the season one dvd. Since then I've crammed all the rest of it including season 5 in a day and a half. I'm having trouble remembering what life was like before it. I also wonder if I would have stuck with if it if I had watched it week to week on regular tv. Love it. Love it love it love it.

yeah, all i do is talk about lost now. i have nightmares pretty much every single night. i'm into season 3 now. i gave up making predictions. i've been too wrong.
who likes movies anyway

Derek

Yeah, some say it got off to a slow start, but I guess I didn't notice it as much because I was able to watch them back to back on dvd. I really enjoyed that season and without spoiling anything, it has a terrific season finale.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

pumba

The plane crash in real time!!

MacGuffin

Jacob's nemesis returning to 'Lost'
Titus Welliver will appear in second part of final season
Source: Hollywood Reporter

With "Lost" fans eager for answers in the final season of the ABC drama, at least one of the show's mystery may get resolved: Who is Jacob's nemesis?

Titus Welliver, who played a mysterious character in Season 5, is set to reprise his role in the second part of "Lost's" sixth season, which premieres Feb. 2.

Jacob's nemesis (aka Man in Black), who last appeared in Season 5's finale, is an inhabitant of the Island who had spent a century looking for ways to kill Jacob (Mark Pellegrino) until finally succeeding in 2007 by assuming the appearance of the dead John Locke (Terry O'Quinn) and persuading Benjamin Linus (Michael Emerson) to stab Jacob.

The Man is Black's name, identity, motives, backstory and bone of contention with Jacob were never revealed, leading to a flurry of speculation among "Lost" fans about who he really is.

Paradigm-repped Welliver recurs on CBS' freshman drama "The Good Wife" as scheming District Attorney Glenn Childs and also recently did an arc on the FX drama "Sons of Anarchy."

A number of castaways will be returning to the island for "Lost's" final season.

The show's showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse recently said Harold Perrineau and Cynthia Watros are coming back to reprise their roles.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The 100 questions Lost better answer or we'll be pissed

The Powers That Be over at Lost have been saying that the sixth and final season will answer our questions—most of them, anyway—while it changes the game for our favorite mysterious island survivors. Well, we've compiled a list of things they'd better answer. Or else.

To recap: Jack's theory that setting off the bomb would reset everything and keep the plane from crashing in the first place is as good as any theory we've heard about the island or the survivors since the show started.

According to the producers, actors who played dead characters are returning. Juliet hit that bomb and the screen went white. Could resetting things in 1977 reset Jacob's death?

Well, call us skeptical, but we're thinking it isn't that easy. After all, they've got 18 hours of Lost to fill, and there's a whole heap of questions that better be answered or the producers will not be able to find a time-traveling island to take them far enough away or a hatch deep enough to hide out in. In fact, if they don't give us some satisfying answers, even death will not protect them from our wrath. We will haunt them or ghostbust them if we have to.

So just to be fair, Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, J.J. Abrams and all of Lost's writers and producers, here is a list of questions we want answered ... and those answers had better start happening on premiere night, Tuesday, Feb. 2, aka Groundhog Day, or we'll be as mad as a polar bear stuck on a tropical island or a smoke monster without a cigarette.

And we'll be keeping track, starting the night after the season premiere and every week after that, to see just how many of these questions get answers.

Do you have others? Post them in the comment section, and if enough of you want them answered, we'll add them to the list.

Here are our initial 100 questions the producers had better answer:

1. Who is Jacob?
2. Is he good or is he evil?
3. How old is he?
4. What's up with the Loophole Guy?
5. Why does he need a loophole, and which one did he find?
6. Why does the Loophole Guy hate Jacob?
7. Is Jacob really dead?
8. Is Locke dead?
9. Is Juliet dead?
10. Did Jughead really blow up when the screen turned to white?
11. Why would the other survivors follow Jack's crackpot plan anyway?
12. Seriously, who says yes to blowing up the island to restart time anyway?
13. If so, did time reset and keep the Oceanic 815 from crashing?
14. Will Juliet and Sawyer find each other again if it did?
15. Will Kate and Jack finally get their act together and find true love?
16. What kind of damage would an explosion from a hydrogen bomb create?
17. And what the heck does any of this have to do with the survivors?
18. What's the deal with the four-toed statue?
19. If it was really a statue of the Egyptian goddess Taweret, why was it built?
20. Who broke it?
21. Why did Jacob live beneath it?
22. What happened to Ben's friend Annie?
23. Why does Dr. Pierre Chang use aliases?
24. What's the smoke monster?
25. Why does it have a taste for some people and not others?
26. What's up with the ash around Jacob's cabin?
27. Who broke the ash circle, and what does that mean?
28. How was the cabin able to change locations?
29. Why did Jacob stop using the cabin?
30. Why did the Oceanic Six have to go back?
31. Why did Miles decide to stay on the island?
32. What's up with the blast door map?
33. What happened to Claire?
34. Why did psychic Richard Malkin insist Claire raise Aaron?
35. What's up with Claire's implant?
36. Who is Richard Alpert really, and why doesn't he age?
37. How or why does the island heal people?
38. What's going on with the pregnancies?
39. What's the deal with Christian?
40. Why doesn't he just go off and be dead and leave Jack alone?
41. Who are Adam and Eve, the skeletons found in the caves?
42. What did the black and white stones on their bodies mean?
43. Why did DHARMA and the Others allow Rousseau's distress signal to continue to be transmitted?
44. Are Hurley's numbers really cursed?
45. Why is Walt special?
46. Why did Walt warn Locke not to open the hatch?
47. What happened to Walt in Room 23?
48. Why did Walt appear to other survivors dripping wet?
49. Why'd they kill off Charlie? We liked Charlie!
50. Will Charlie be back?
51. What's up with Libby?
52. Why was she a patient at Santa Rosa?
53. Why did she end up in Australia and on board Flight 815?
54. How much did it suck that Libby was killed before Hurley could get lucky?
55. Where does the donkey wheel come from?
56. How does it work?
57. How did Desmond get his clothes blown off after the hatch implosion?
58. How did Locke and Eko escape?
59. How did Penelope know to look for a magnetic anomaly?
60. How did Ben really become the leader of the Others?
61. Who's on Jacob's list, and what does it mean?
62. Why did Jacob diss Ben by not communicating with him while he was leader?
63. What's up with the Temple?
64. Why does Ben say that the Temple is for Others only?
65. Does the Monster have a connection with the Temple?
66. Was the ship that Jacob and Loophole Guy see sailing the Black Rock?
67. How did the ship end up in the middle of the jungle?
68. What happened to the crew?
69. Why is the ship's log important to Charles Widmore?
70. What are Widmore's plans for the island?
71. Who built the Lamp Post?
72. How did Eloise become the caretaker of the station?
73. Does Widmore know about it?
74. What's up with Charles Widmore, anyway?
75. Does he suck as a dad, or what?
76. What happened to the people the Others kidnapped?
77. What's up with the whispers?
78. Who's whispering?
79. Why did Jacob go touch each of the survivors in the past?
80. Why were these survivors chosen?
81. Why didn't Jacob try to protect himself when Ben stabbed him?
82. What is Ilana's connection to Jacob?
83. What favor did he ask of her?
84. Why did she order the cabin to be burned?
85. How much does she really know about the island?
86. What is Frank a candidate for?
87. Why did the supply drops continued after the Purge?
88. How do they find the island to make those drops?
89. Who is Henry Gale really, and how did he break his neck?
90. Who buried him?
91. Why isn't the island done with Desmond yet?
92. Who did the glass eye belong to, and why was it left in the Arrow?
93. What's up with the trouble between Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore?
94. How did the feud start between Ben and Widmore?
95. What are the Rules?
96. How did the death of Alex change the Rules?
97. Will Sun and Jin ever get a chance to live happily ever after?
98. Will any of the survivors get a chance to live happily ever after?
99. Will the smoke monster get a chance to live happily ever after?
100. Will we be satisfied with the way Lost ends?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

They're showing the last year's season finale before next week's premiere. Just looking at the ash around where Jacob's cabin was supposed to be, I'd wonder if its the smoke monster laying inert?

Bethie

I'm never going to get through season 4 and 5 before the season premiere next week. every time I watch an episode my friend turns to me and asks "what do you think is going to happen." I don't really care. Half the episodes remind me of Twilight Zone. the others listening to Jacob? a man no one knows or sees. That's a Twilight Zone episode!! Desmond is becoming my fav character since jack turned queer.

jack's ex wife is the wife on the show Modern Family!
who likes movies anyway

polkablues

She'll always be Carol Vessey to me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

MAJOR SPOILERS!

here it is folks, the first scene of the Lost Premiere, get it while it's there! (if you dare!)

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty