The worst Spielberg flick?

Started by Spike, April 15, 2003, 03:24:55 PM

sickfins

Quote from: bonanzataz on August 24, 2005, 04:16:49 PM
it's the terminal. oh my god it's the terminal. wow, that was so bad. oh my god, it was awful, i wanted to cry.

you get the award for making me choke on my special k

Pozer

Worst line in a Spielberg flick-
"You turkey!" - Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters of the Third Kind after being cut off by another automobile.

And there's my one and only Thanksgiving post.  Happy Turkey Day, Richard Dreyfuss.

Gamblour.

"That doesn't look so scary....more like a six-foot turkey!" - The fat kid in Jurassic Park
Then Alan Grant proceeds to scar him for life by describing how a velociraptor would disembowel him. HAPPY THANKSGIVING, especially Canada.
WWPTAD?

killafilm

What's wrong with Close Encounters?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Alethia

but the cute kids say swear words!  its endearing!

Anonymous Joe

Catch Me If You Can made me wanna steal stuff.

grand theft sparrow

This thread should have been locked the day The Terminal came out.

©brad

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 08, 2005, 09:42:40 AM

i personally don't see a need for it anymore. from A.I. on, spielberg has gotten better and better with each movie he makes.

godardian

Quote from: ©brad on February 05, 2006, 12:15:11 PM
Quote from: hacksparrow on December 08, 2005, 09:42:40 AM

i personally don't see a need for it anymore. from A.I. on, spielberg has gotten better and better with each movie he makes.

Actually, I think I might agree with you, here. I'm a longtime Spielberg-doubter, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Catch Me if You Can, The Terminal, Minority Reportand even much of Munich (I realize that list isn't in order). I personally agree with J. Hoberman about Schindler's being Spielberg's nadir for various important reasons. But Munich was quite something in lots of sections (though that parallel-action sex scene should be in the dictionary under "pretension," and that's coming from someone who will sit through any impromptu Antonioni marathon you'd ever care to put on). Brilliant costumes/locations/international-espionage glamor, and not a total political brain-sieve like I've so often found Spielberg's "seriousness" to be (do we have Tony Kushner to thank for that?). 
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.