28 Days Later

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 07:59:34 PM

Banky

Fuck all this Danny Boyle is Back talk.  When was he gone?  I liked The BEach

BrainSushi

I saw it yestarday with my dad and really loved it... not as scary as I thought it would be though. I mean, very creepy, but I think the only thing that made me jump was the car alarm while Jim's walkin' around the empty London.

I was especially creeped out as the movie started because there were only three other people in the theatre (not including my dad) and when I'm expecting to be totally freaked out, I feel more comfortable when I'm surrounded by people. That's how into I get... I would swear the guy three rows behind us was going to jump on our backs and start puking his red "rage" all over us. Makes me more comfortable when there's more people in the theatre to get infected as well, ya know.

I really thought the soundtrack was bitchin', especially AM 180 by Grandaddy (the supermarket scene - I've been listening to that song on a continuous loop for about an hour now - oi)

The Idiot

I really liked this movie. A lot. Read my less than stellar review at

http://outofthevoid.blogspot.com
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze

Gold Trumpet

Finally saw it. Pretty much a crap movie and terrible on all levels. This is right behind the Matrix on hardest to sit through movies. As a note, I am not knocking the genre, but will speak on how it doesn't do anything to add to the horror genre or any other serious genre at all.

From reviews, I was given thought that this would be with ideas and such unlike others, but I found none that weren't of the obvious and lame. The movie skated on the level of going through all the quircks of any sci fi post acoplyptic movie for the first hour on how certain freedoms are now attainable. They don't matter really and of course, everyone can dress generation X now because the end of the world has come and such. The first hour was a run through of what was obvious in the first ten minutes, with dialogue and ideas that only spelled out the obvious of what could come on the surface from the next great, mysterious disease that ends all mankind. The idea of disease itself, ala Black Death is cliche beyond death because the screenwriters really only know of that idea and such has become a norm in dealing with many end of the world scenarios because it is so easy to invent. A cute name plus a percise physical ailment coming from it that destroys. It would be great to have actual philosophers of science facilitate with screenwriters of talent on theories and see the storytellers try to find the best way to bring those ideas out in relating to drama. For this movie, I was just looking for the ideas. The last part of the movie is just a cop out of any hope.

On the horror level, it is all lame in the movie. The entrance of zombies acts swift and fast with little build up at all and actually can be categorized to be predicted for the first hour and some what through the second. Scene starts out in lighted area, person enters mysterious dark place, and if in a group of many, the number is reduced down to one or two only. When swift camera movements from alien angles begin to show, they are coming and within moments, their physical attack of the humans is on the screen and never changes. Every attack is a repeat attack with a different venue and such, that is still dark. When the movie should have went for atmosphere, it went hip and sped everything up. When it should have found the smaller moments creepy, it brought an onslaught of zombie attacks over and over again. Not even the zombie scenes were effective or innovative.

The last part is pure torture, but funner. A man afraid and left on his own in the cold and shirtless somehow turns into Steven Seagal half poccessed. Its a not a character move, but a stlyistic one. His cloak skills during the last part can only pay homage to every Jason movie but roles reversed. Sad thing about this movie, because nothing in it was scary besides the very first sequence with the apes which was well done. Everything else was lame and just not scary or effective. I see no ideas in this movie at all. The first part is cheap sci fi dialogue and the last one, dealing with the placement of the girls in the army place, feels lifted from the ending of Dr. Strangelove at best. Everything in this movie is typical, besides the color tone, which can make shit look good to some.

~rougerum

Sleuth

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetScene starts out in lighted area, person enters mysterious dark place, and if in a group of many, the number is reduced down to one or two only. When swift camera movements from alien angles begin to show, they are coming and within moments, their physical attack of the humans is on the screen and never changes. Every attack is a repeat attack with a different venue and such, that is still dark.

I actually agree with this part, but I still fucking love this movie
I like to hug dogs

Raikus

Wow GT, I'd at least thing you'd see it as an archetypal catalogue for the horror genre and the blending of movie themes we haven't seen in a while. Not to mention the contrast between "Rage" the virus and "Rage" the inherant human emotion.

I guess some people just have to bash.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe idea of disease itself, ala Black Death is cliche beyond death because the screenwriters really only know of that idea and such has become a norm in dealing with many end of the world scenarios because it is so easy to invent

What are you talking about? You're saying that disease in general is cliche? Or that mutant infection apocalyptic disease is cliche?

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe last part of the movie is just a cop out of any hope.

I thought the last part of the movie (the very last two seconds) was somewhat of a cop out in favor of hope.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetScene starts out in lighted area, person enters mysterious dark place, and if in a group of many, the number is reduced down to one or two only. When swift camera movements from alien angles begin to show, they are coming and within moments, their physical attack of the humans is on the screen and never changes. Every attack is a repeat attack with a different venue and such, that is still dark.

Again... what are you talking about?

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI see no ideas in this movie at all.

What about everything Mesh and I were talking about?

Gold Trumpet

JB.
1.) I'm saying that movie disease in the style of it coming from an infected animal and spreads through humans in disasterous ways and starts screaming "end of the world" is cliche because it isn't for any good scientific thought, but for a melodrama of "saving humanity" from destruction.

2.) The last two seconds was just realization of what the movie was; a thriller. Nothing else at all. The idea that it ended peacefully or not is just a color tone thing and not important. I'll say why later I think it is just a thriller with your fourth point.

3.) Just describing the situations in when the zombie attacks happen to show complete predictability in the film which is one way of getting to say it is not scary.

4.) Those aren't legimitate ideas from the movie, though. The prologue in question doesn't exist for bringing about any ideas that will be forwarded, but a set up for the scenario the world in England is gone and a few humans will have to fight zombies in order to survive. Notice how there is no talk after the prologue about who caused what and who is to blame and anything else attempting to a bigger picture idea? Because it is all just set up for a thriller and the limited scene the prologue is anyways doesn't give any clear ideas to anything. One ape, out of many, was tied up and watching violent TV in one portion of a building. Thats it. To attempt to question anything wide reaching for the entire program and relating it back to our own struggle is just desperate and really out of context to what the movie is. Talk through out the movie is just idle talk of end of the world and how these people need to survive their immediate situation of zombies trying to fuck them over. The movie lives for the chase and killing of this scenario and forwards or deepens no ideas at all.

Raikus,
I don't see really many themes here, just a horror movie with a thriller part of it. The location and situation was changed, sure, but the means of the movie is still escape from some nasty shit. The rage tie in was cute, and I did notice it, but it was just cute. Any further thought only needs be applied if the movie lived for any ideas at all worth thinking about.

~rougerum

Sleuth

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetJB.
4.) Those aren't legimitate ideas from the movie, though. The prologue in question doesn't exist for bringing about any ideas that will be forwarded, but a set up for the scenario the world in England is gone and a few humans will have to fight zombies in order to survive. Notice how there is no talk after the prologue about who caused what and who is to blame and anything else attempting to a bigger picture idea?

I think that's for you to decide really.  The movie is a sort of example in the same way that Selena seeing Frank and Hannah made her shed that survival mode shell.  It shows how different creatures and people are in situations where they are the prey.
I like to hug dogs

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetJB.
4.) Those aren't legimitate ideas from the movie, though. The prologue in question doesn't exist for bringing about any ideas that will be forwarded, but a set up for the scenario the world in England is gone and a few humans will have to fight zombies in order to survive. Notice how there is no talk after the prologue about who caused what and who is to blame and anything else attempting to a bigger picture idea?

I think that's for you to decide really.  The movie is a sort of example in the same way that Selena seeing Frank and Hannah made her shed that survival mode shell.  It shows how different creatures and people are in situations where they are the prey.

I do think the selena situation is a theme/idea that runs for the entire film and is legimitate. Doesn't mean I think it is anything good, though.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm saying that movie disease in the style of it coming from an infected animal and spreads through humans in disasterous ways and starts screaming "end of the world" is cliche

Almost every serious virus comes from animals (primates). It's not cliche, it's just realistic.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetJust describing the situations in when the zombie attacks happen to show complete predictability in the film which is one way of getting to say it is not scary.

Now you're complaining about predictability, but didn't you say before that there's no suspense? I think the fact that the characters know the inevitable (that pretty much everyone will be infected) throws a blanket suspense over the whole movie. Makes all of it disturbing.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetNotice how there is no talk after the prologue about who caused what and who is to blame and anything else attempting to a bigger picture idea?

Notice how the point of the movie is not blaming one person, but blaming human nature?

Gold Trumpet

JB
1.) Its cliche in the realm of drama. My complaint is that disease through this way is done over and over again. Isn't there more scientific thought to suggest other ways for human race ending? Ways that won't lead to cheap melodrama but actual ideas?

2.) I have no clue what you are saying there.

3.) That still doesn't forward discussion or thought on what took place in the prologue to bring about your beloved discussions. The movie just exists for the thriller plot of running away from zombies and these people trying to stay alive.

~rougerum

Mesh

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIsn't there more scientific thought to suggest other ways for human race ending? Ways that won't lead to cheap melodrama but actual ideas?

Here's a thrilling new treatment idea:

Earth slowly runs out of water/gas/food/space over a period of the next few hundred years.  Shit gets fucked up.  Mel Gibson puts up a fight.

GT, what apocalypse movie are you wanting 28 Days Later to be?  Go make it yourself, if you're so concerned with originality....

Remember the spate of "comet hits earth chaos ensues" movies from a few years back?  Those were scientific thought applied to the concept of the apocalypse....What'd ya think of, say, Armageddon?

Mesh

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
3.) That still doesn't forward discussion or thought on what took place in the prologue to bring about your beloved discussions.

God, I have no idea why I try to understand you, GT.  Make more sense.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MeshGod, I have no idea why I try to understand you, GT.  Make more sense.

Funny.  I have the habit of saying the same about you.