The Bourne Supremacy

Started by MacGuffin, April 13, 2004, 10:20:00 PM

metroshane

Saw it last night.  Liked the story and the acting but found parts of the cinematography unwatchable.  Especially during the fight and chase scenes.  It literally gave me a headache and made me naucious.  Also it seemed like they cut part of julia stiles character.  She just disappeared from the story.  But she did look hot, in a classy way.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

pete

I liked the car chase in the end, thought that was pretty cool, but the fight scenes here were even choppier than the first one, didn't know that was possible.
plot was pretty predictable, but it came off as intelligent, or at least bearable, because they talked in fun CIA doubletalks and the old-skool computers definitely added authenticity.  I always hated computer search programs in movies that had crazy smooth animation, and everytime it finds a document or tracks down the person there's always this annoying 3D sequence of a window flying up to the main window with some kind of sophisticated animated sequence ("Enemy of the State" comes to mind right now).  does anyone know what I'm talking about?  computer programs in movies that looked way too nice?  am I just a nerd?  either way, the computers used in this film seemed a lot more real.
I think the funnest parts of the movie were definitely the McGuyver/ Home Alone moments when he just walked around and used common items for Greater Purposes.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

stefen, is it that important to tell us everything you DONT watch?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i think that was the joke.

like, i would've said:

"stefen hasn't seen this."
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTRI liked everything about this film except for how it was shot and edited.  The short take, fast cut feel to it didn't work for the most part.  I was annoyed by it and I wish Liman would have directed it.  The performances and script are fine...and it's good to see an action film that doesn't rely on one liners.  Just the fast cutting didn't work for me, the big action set pieces were more confusing than exciting.

The editing was actually the development in the movie, if a little misguided. The main problem for me was in the script. My appreciation of The Bourne Identity was the closeness and patience it had for Bourne and how the simple filmmaking and story brought us to discover who Bourne was along with the character doing the same. This film, basically Bourne on a revenge path, does have more intense filmmaking to fit his mind path and rage, but it doesn't go far enough. Too many times the scenes of purposeful confusion comes just in the action scenes and not ones that devled into his character. Bourne's identity to the audience is different and sometimes, the filmmaking gets it right. During the interrogation scene in Naples, the film shows him there silent at first with ominous sounds straight out of a horror film. It is a perfect and simple introduction to the new state of his mind and the scene is perfectly played out to bring out the fear everyone in the film has for him and how dangerous he can feel to the audience. Thing is, the film follows the other stories almost as much as his story and the closeness achieved in the first one is gone. Instead of each new action scene feeling like a development from walking in the shoes of Bourne, they feel like closely placed scenes jumbled amongst other scenes trying to get all plot points orderly. Damon as Bourne is fascinating, but the reward isn't as rich. The new filmmaking in intensifying the view point of Bourne is correct, but only done to some levels, just teasing with the potential of what it could have been if thought out just a little more.

Ravi

Quote from: metroshaneSaw it last night.  Liked the story and the acting but found parts of the cinematography unwatchable.  Especially during the fight and chase scenes.  It literally gave me a headache and made me naucious.

That annoyed me too.  As soon as a fight or a chase started, the cinematography switched into handheld/long lenses mode.

QuoteAlso it seemed like they cut part of julia stiles character.  She just disappeared from the story.  But she did look hot, in a classy way.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought she just disappeared.  I thought I had missed something.

Redlum

I always felt the first was let down a little by the human glider/crash mat, and so I was really glad that they were quite conservative with the action in Supremacy. I don't think I can ask for more from it. I liked the shaky cam, it may be a cheap way to instantly give any fight more energy but I could stomach it.

I hope they don't follow-up the series if they cant think of something other than Bourne re-teaming with the government. Bourne continually avoiding capture fueled every scene and unless they put him behind enemy lines; becoming the hunter would really mess with that dynamic.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

pete

I think this summer movie was rendered useless when Collateral came out.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: peteI think this summer movie was rendered useless when Collateral came out.

Well, I didn't like Collateral at all. That argument is in its proper thread. I love The Bourne Supremacy, though. Already seen it 3 times and the most I've ever seen any one movie in the theatre is 4 times. I stay with all my original complaints about the film. It is very much flawed and very dissapointing compared to the original but yet, it is exciting. The series is exciting. The character remains fascinating to me on every lure of movie character syndrome. Its good enough and has me excited for the third.

bonanzataz

gt, from what you post here, it seems like you hate everything, but you'd go and see a summer action film three times in the theaters? that's thirty dollars, not including popcorn and soda. i haven't seen this movie, but there's no way it's that good. plus, i thought the original was quite stale. i guess i'm just trying to say that i don't get you at all.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bonanzatazgt, from what you post here, it seems like you hate everything, but you'd go and see a summer action film three times in the theaters? that's thirty dollars, not including popcorn and soda. i haven't seen this movie, but there's no way it's that good. plus, i thought the original was quite stale. i guess i'm just trying to say that i don't get you at all.

I think its easier for everyone to assume I like to hate everything. Honestly, its not the truth. From my posting it should be that I am just tougher on certain movies and more apt to be bored. Disagree with me or not, I do explain myself. Heavily enough that I feel dumb after most of my posts for contributing a review usually twice as long as anyone else's because the dumb line here is that whatever I say, it'll be taken as, "GT hates this movie. That's all."

bonanzataz

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI think its easier for everyone to assume I like to hate everything. Honestly, its not the truth. From my posting it should be that I am just tougher on certain movies and more apt to be bored. Disagree with me or not, I do explain myself. Heavily enough that I feel dumb after most of my posts for contributing a review usually twice as long as anyone else's because the dumb line here is that whatever I say, it'll be taken as, "GT hates this movie. That's all."

no no no. that's not what i meant at all. whenever you hate a movie you always back it up with a decent argument. i like your reviews b/c they help me see movies i like in a new perspective. and if i don't like the movies you don't like, then i'm happy somebody is in agreeance. i was just saying that the bourne supremacy seemed to me to be a funny movie for you to like, just because it is a summer action movie. and b/c i disliked the first one.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

he is weird.  he LOVED the first one enough to put it on his dekapitation list.  he also liked Two Weeks Notice and the American Pie series.  dont try to figure him out.