Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

Started by Fishbulb, April 23, 2004, 11:55:26 AM

Fishbulb

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/h/haroldkumarwhitecastle.php

The description of the movie makes it sound kind of "Dude, Where's My Car?"-ish, but the cast is promising (Fred Willard, Luis Guzman, Christopher Meloni, Ryan Reynolds). No trailer online yet, but it's supposed to be attached to ENVY when it comes out next week.

El Duderino

Fred Willard? the guy from Tremors?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ravi

Pete, they stole our lives!

EDIT

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0500444/

Danny Leiner    

Director - filmography
(In Production) (2000s) (1990s)

Great New Wonderful, The (2005) (filming)
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) (completed)
"Everwood" (2002) TV Series
"Tick, The" (2001) TV Series (episode "Couples")
"Mind of the Married Man, The" (2001) TV Series
"Maybe It's Me" (2001) TV Series
"Go Fish" (2001) TV Series
Dude, Where's My Car? (2000)

<snip>

pete

but it's the same guy that directed an episode of Freaks and Geeks!
how bad can it be?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Just Withnail

Not too many good gags in that trailer, but you gotta love the way only one of them flinches when the guy tries to scare them.

Ravi

Quote from: WithnailNot too many good gags in that trailer, but you gotta love the way only one of them flinches when the guy tries to scare them.

"New Line Cinema presents that Asian guy from American Pie...and that Indian guy from Van Wilder."

And Neil Patrick Harris.

Chest Rockwell

Seems rather funny. I love the title/premise (seeing as how they're the same, aren't they?). Envy was a total bummer though.

Fishbulb

Here's the first review of it I've seen. This guy says the movie wasn't funny, but then some of the stuff he describes (Jamie Kennedy as a guy who gets too close to you when you're peeing, and Christopher Meloni as a guy with pus-filled boils) sounds kind of funny to me.

Ghostboy

I haven't seen the trailer, but having seen the movie, I'm willing to bet that if you think the trailer is funny, you'll probably like the movie. I thought it was pretty amusing. I'm sure stoners everywhere will love it, and White Castle will reap massive profits as a result. Fred Willard and Ryan Reynolds are both really funny, but someone mentioned Luis Guzman in some post above, and he was nowhere to be found.

The two leads were at the screening  and the Indian dude from Van Wilder revealed that the white castle burgers consumed in the film were in fact veggie burgers, since he's vegetarian.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: GhostboyI'm sure stoners everywhere will love it...

so, by using the 'officail stoner rating system' would you say this film was:

-one toke of schwag off a cheap one  hitter
-a pretty decent joint w/ okay weed
-a cheech and chong-like blunt
-nice kind bud smoked out of a four foot bong

or...

-a gathering of friends smoking the finest herb from a huka........

Ghostboy

Actually, can I plead ignorance in regards to your rating system?

I've only seen part of one Cheech And chong movie and I didn't really like it. I did, however, find Half Baked fairly amusing back in the day.

Ravi

I saw this on Saturday because I forgot that Bourne Supremacy and Manchurian Candidate were also playing  :?  :-D

H&K had some amusing scenes, but in between I thought it was kind of dull.  Worth $3 of the $6 I paid for it.  The best scenes were with Neil Patrick Harris, but the cheetah, cops, and Jamie Kennedy were funny too.  I was hoping it would be more outrageous than it was.  Not horrible, but you can definitely find something better to watch.  Oh well.  I'll make up for it this weekend with Zatoichi and Collateral.

pete

it was funny and all, but one thing I really didn't like about the film was how homophobic it was.  I think the gay jokes were attempts to "normalize" the two Asian characters, because the Asian characters have a long history of being asexual and doing kungfu.  So the first thing they did was to bar fist fights from the movie (or at least not show them), and then in order to sexualize them, the writers went over the top with the homophobia, so mainstream America could identify with them and finally accept that they're two normal and horny dudes or something.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton