In the Bedroom

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 01, 2003, 08:37:12 PM

NEON MERCURY

Just wondering the  opinions of others on this film. i  thought it was so real .  Every character's actions seemed natural and not forced or fake-pacing was deliciously slow-great acting across the board -and a nice well written piece of revenge(noir?)      :arrow: on a side note thought it was cool that it was nom. for an acad. for best pic. but new there was nothing stopping the"A beautiful Mind Made/Marketed Just to Win an Oscar Express" :infinity:

Alethia

this was my favorite film of 2001, and i still watch it frequently.  sissy spacek gave i believe her best perfrmance as well as marisa tomei.  todd field is going to have quite a career.

Xixax

I tried to get into this movie, but I just couldn't.

Guess I need to give it another chance?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Alethia

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: XixaxI tried to get into this movie, but I just couldn't.

Guess I need to give it another chance?

To me this film works on mood.  There is nothing releatively "Earth-shattering" about this film but the way it s-s-s-sl-sl-slo-slo-slowly developes to the climax and ends right there. :o   It could put many asleep if the "mood" of the film doesn't catch you.  I think it is worth another chance.

Pedro

I thought the slow pacing was amazing.  And well...i haven't seen it in a while, but i remember the use of sound was also terrific, but im not exactly sure in what regard at the moment...maybe the lack of music and the use of it with the choirs?  Anyway..a superb picture...Xixax, give it another chance, pleeease?

godardian

I really liked it. It does work on mood, as someone said above. Sissy Spacek was very good, I thought. They showed her smashing a plate too often in the previews and so on, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

xerxes

i didn't really like it... the acting was amazing, but the end i thought was just, well terrible.

it really made me quite angry

Alethia

Derek237

I loved In The Bedroom! One of the better acted films to come out within the last few years. I was surprised at just how much it affected me. It literally took my breath away- more than once.

modage

haaated it!  (that ones for you, bonanzataz).  but i cant remember much of why because i havent seen it since the theatre, but it just didnt do anything for me.  it was boring.  i didnt get into the story.  i cant remember, but i remember the hate.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

dufresne

i like this movie, if only for the stressed interaction between Wilkinson and Spacek.
There are shadows in life, baby.

xerxes

Quote from: ewardand why is that?

i found the ending to be melodramatic and cheap

filmcritic

I just watched this film again recently and I still think that "In the Bedroom" was the best film of 2001 and probably the best so far this new millenium. The performances are flawless, the score by Thomas Newman is enchanting and Todd Field should have been nominated for Best Director (probably should have won). It's very slow-paced, but that gave me a better understanding of it. I agree with what Roger Ebert said about it. You think you know what the film is about at first, then later you think you know what it's about, but by the end you know what the movie is about once it reaches it's disturbing and heartbreaking conclusion. It's mezmerizing, gripping, disturbing, depressing, artistic and haunting. As for those who didn't like it, well, it probably falls into the "love it or hate it category".
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Sigur Rós

I just saw this one. Nothing negative to say about it . Especially the script stunned me. Tom Wilkinson was playing like his own son had died.
Great movie. I highly recommend it!