The Bling Ring

Started by MacGuffin, March 08, 2013, 09:24:19 AM

Cloudy

Thanks Tcmj.

This is an essay by A.O Scott that you might have been referencing.
The Luxe Life
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/movies/the-luxe-life-in-gatsby-bling-ring-and-other-films.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's an essay that references Bling Ring, Spring Breakers, Great Gatsby all together as one genre(lack of a better word) of "commodity fetishism". Good read.

jenkins

Quote from: Cloudy on June 22, 2013, 11:50:47 AM
This is an essay by A.O Scott that you might have been referencing.
The Luxe Life
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/movies/the-luxe-life-in-gatsby-bling-ring-and-other-films.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's an essay that references Bling Ring, Spring Breakers, Great Gatsby all together as one genre(lack of a better word) of "commodity fetishism". Good read.
mm. good read indeed. there's humor to the fact that these movies require a certain understanding about developmental conversations. you don't watch reailty tv, that's fine, anyway i recommend reading lévi-strauss

scott totally knows what's being talked about:
QuoteOne of the great paradoxes of modern consumerism is that these goods are mass-market signifiers of exclusivity, tokens of aristocratic populism.
he's referring to communication sciences, and the switch from emitters and receivers to codes and relays, and he's taking his own look at the "imaginary line between old money and new."

thanks for the recommendation. and i forgot to thank wilderesque for the earlier thing: this is that thanks, this here

The Ultimate Badass

Thanks for that great review, cloudy.

I was skeptical of Sofia Coppola when she first began directing movies. I thought the Virgin Suicides was a bit juvenile, but she really won me over with Lost in Translation. Her subsequent movies didn't live up to that one (to be kind), and I dismissed her as a one-hit-wonder. Your words actually have me really intrigued about this one. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

wilder