A quote that's driving me crazy

Started by Ghostboy, March 09, 2004, 01:17:35 AM

Ghostboy

I want to cite a famous quote in a review of The Dreamers that I'm writing, but I don't remember who said it, or the exact wording...it was something along the lines of "The history of cinema is men photographing women." For some reason, I thought it was Godard who said it, but I couldn't find it online anywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

xerxes

jacques rivette said it... i think

cine

Pubrick

this page: http://ruthlessreviews.com/movies/v/vasavoir.html credits it to Rivette.

onomatopeia referenced it in this thread: http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2485&start=30 without citing a source.

it appears to be rivette.
under the paving stones.

cine

Saw the Va Savoir review and decided to look further into it:
http://www.sun-times.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2001/11/111604.html - Ebert says its Godard.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1996/01/1015441.html - Just for good measure, if one Ebert source wasn't enough.

http://hotwired.wired.com/movies/96/19/seberg.html - This review cites Godard as well (with understandable reasoning behind why too).

http://sfj.abstractdynamics.org/archives/2003_12.html - Skim down the page to Dec 24, 2003. Godard as well.

http://www.mnstate.edu/gracyk/archive_of_quotes.htm - From Minnesota State University - "Quote of the Week" archive. Half way down the down on Nov 21, 2002. Godard.

Oh, and I just called Godard on the phone. He was sleeping and I woke him. I feel bad going to all this trouble. Anyway, I asked him and he thinks it's Rivette.

SoNowThen

I've heard it attributed to Godard.

Cinephile, your french is bad. Godard said "it wasn't Rivette".

But I dunno for sure.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenCinephile, your french is bad. Godard said "it wasn't Rivette".
It's not that my french is bad, its that his english is awful! To keep conversation going, I started talking to him about Shakespeare adaptations and how I hate when they're done horribly. Before I could bring up any films, he hung up. Maybe he had to get somewhere...

SoNowThen

Quote from: CinephileTo keep conversation going, I started talking to him about Shakespeare adaptations and how I hate when they're done horribly. Before I could bring up any films, he hung up. Maybe he had to get somewhere...

I don't think he appreciated the insinuation.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: CinephileTo keep conversation going, I started talking to him about Shakespeare adaptations and how I hate when they're done horribly. Before I could bring up any films, he hung up. Maybe he had to get somewhere...

I don't think he appreciated the insinuation.
Or maybe he was breathless?!?!? ....

MacGuffin

You know what's making me crazy...?

These:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffinYou know what's making me crazy...?

they're making me thirsty...

cine

They're making me want to solve them - like a puzzle.

Clearly one solution is eating them but sometimes I'm just an idiot and you know......... breathless?!?!?

And scene.

SoNowThen

cut, check the gate, print it

Seriously now, anybody find some confirmation on this quote, or what?!

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenSeriously now, anybody find some confirmation on this quote, or what?!
:?:  You're joking right? You saw my post...

SoNowThen

2 speculations for Rivette

5 for Godard

so, xixax officially, Godard in a tko ???