Zoom mastery

Started by SoNowThen, June 16, 2003, 11:45:45 AM

SoNowThen

I dunno about you folks, but I love zoom shots. I plan on using them constantly when I direct. Just thought we could share some fav zooms, and some directors and dp's who use them so well. *Note: as much as I like sweetness movie zooms, I hate shitty tv zooms to a max. You know what I mean...*

Kubrick is an obvious one.
Scorsese and PTA love to throw in the dolly-in/zoom-in combo.
Altman achieved perfection in Long Goodbye
Vilmos Zsigmond is a master of this, for Altman, as well as in Deer Hunter
Nic Roeg is great...
EDIT: De Palma !!

The zoom in on the dogsuit BJ in The Shining is one of the classics!!

2nd note: My camera teacher in film school actually wouldn't let us use zooms. He hated them because of their overuse on home video cameras...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Oh... please don't say the zoom out - dolly in shots. So overused.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

children with angels

I don't think I'm a big fan of zoom shots. I was made to realise this when I watched Death In Venice the other day: once I started noticing quite how many zooms there were in the movie it seriously started getting in the way for me (which annoyed me, because I really wanted to love that, otherwise, pretty damn beautiful movie). I dunno what it is about them... I like the idea that the camera is actually invading the space, via tracking, rather than just seeming to. I think it might have something to do with home movies - as your professor says - maybe I've been too affected by zoom's misuse.

However, one FANTASTIC zoom that comes to mind is the opening shot of The Conversation. Coppola digs that zoom shit.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

MacGuffin

Yeah, what are you talking about?

"Vertigo"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

One that I love is from Jackie Brown, takes place when Jackie is bailed out by Max Cherry (Foster), he zooms in very slowly to Max and that is alternated of Max's POV of Jackie walking toward him.

Lynch's also comes to mind.

SoNowThen

Yes, thank you. That's what I mean.

And the Coppola one was a great example as well.

godardian

I thought Kubrick did some sensational fast-zooms in The Shining.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yeah, that and Barry Lyndon and Clockwork are some of my favorite zoom movies.

Duck Sauce

I think we have had this thread about 8 times.... but Kubrick films aside im a sucker for contra-zooms, Jaws is indeed my favorite

godardian

If a "contra-zoom" is what I think it is, there's a fantastic one in Safe.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenOh... please don't say the zoom out - dolly in shots. So overused.
Trombone shots.  Hitchcock, IIRC, invented 'em.  Everyone else should be ashamed of using 'em.  ;D

Me, I think one of the most memorable zooms ever was in Dr. Strangelove..  It had nothing really to do with the movie, but it was so effective: the pilot zeroing in on the controls for the code for the manuver they were to perform.

Also, of course, there's always PTA in Magnolia.  Probably one of the best zooms ever: "But it really happened."

Odd thing is, though, I have the shooting script with me, and I can't find where that it scripted.  Craziest thing.  I'm wondering if it's just one of those things Paul or someone suggested he add.  Really curious.

Ravi

A lot of zooms end up looking gimmicky, but the ones mentioned are pretty good.  I can't count the number of times I've seen a high schooler's film that included a zoom-in dolly out.  Like it's some brilliant find.  It's become almost cliche.  Hell, I figured it out when I was 11 or 12.  Not a big deal.

SoNowThen mentioned Nicolas Roeg.  I like the shot in Walkabout that zooms in on the bull that was just killed.  It was an optical zoom done in the lab, not in camera, but it works.  I particularly like the look of the grain increasing.

bonanzataz

i love optical zooms. like in that beck video, that's hot.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

SoNowThen

Quote from: RaviA lot of zooms end up looking gimmicky, but the ones mentioned are pretty good.  I can't count the number of times I've seen a high schooler's film that included a zoom-in dolly out.  Like it's some brilliant find.  It's become almost cliche.  Hell, I figured it out when I was 11 or 12.  Not a big deal.

SoNowThen mentioned Nicolas Roeg.  I like the shot in Walkabout that zooms in on the bull that was just killed.  It was an optical zoom done in the lab, not in camera, but it works.  I particularly like the look of the grain increasing.

That one always gets me. Fucking LOVE it. Love it.

Duck Sauce

Well in that case, how bout zooming the coke zooming in BN