Movie confessions!

Started by Sigur Rós, May 29, 2003, 09:10:40 AM

SoNowThen

I like Rudy and Field Of Dreams. I get choked up when Costner asks his dad to play catch. I never wanted to play catch with my dad.

Children W/ Angels: I think Breathless had such a huge impact that it change movie-making so much, now we're used to the more accessable (if you can call them that) narrative devices being constantly put in effect. So it just can't have the same impact on our generation, as it did back in 1959. That being said, it's a fun movie to watch, but in my opinion can't touch My Life, or Pierrot, etc.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

Emily Watson is not what I would call 'pretty'!

Confession 6: The only PTA-film I've seen at a movie-theater is PDL.....

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SoNowThenI would say the BEST Godard is My Life To Live, but not to watch first. Watch something easy to get into, like Petit Soldat or Band Of Outsiders. Then, once you're used to reading films the way he wants you to, go to Life. And then discover Alphaville and Woman Is A Woman and Pierrot Le Fou.

Oh, and I listened to the Altman intro. I understand and accept it, but I still find it annoying. And what's with the no-eyebrows on the chicks? This is actually pretty sad, but I find it hard to enjoy films that have a female love interest who is tres ugly (ie. PDL, anything Canadian).

You think Emily Watson is ugly?!?!

Yes. It took two watches of that movie just to get over her sick face. The third time I was calm with it. Actually, every chick in that film is pretty fugly. The phone operator's ass is like a motor-home, and the one sister is the very picture of homliness.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sigur Rósconfession 1: I like bad kung-fu-films like the ones with Bruce Lee! (I realize, that when saying this, it's like shouting "I like Pet-shop Boys!" at a Metallica-concert!)

I don't know where you got the idea that they were bad, but:

Bruce Lee kung-fu movies = great

Bruce Li kung-fu movies = bad
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

Now, that we are talking about confessions......does anyone remember this one?

polkablues

Quote from: Sigur Rós

Same here... my one regret in life is that I didn't see "Magnolia" on the big screen.

There are a lot of chick flicks out there that I really like: "Serendipity" being an example.  I loved "Serendipity".

Movies I like by the other Paul Anderson: "Event Horizon", "Resident Evil", to a lesser extent "Mortal Kombat".

The only Scorcese films I've seen: "Mean Streets", "Bringing Out the Dead", and "Gangs of New York".

The whole Giant Talking Trees section of "The Two Towers" is among the worst subplots I've seen in a movie.  Right up there with the "Hairdresser in Love" subplot in "Legally Blonde".

I feel better now, having gotten all that off my chest.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SoNowThen

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: Sigur Rós

Same here... my one regret in life is that I didn't see "Magnolia" on the big screen.

There are a lot of chick flicks out there that I really like: "Serendipity" being an example.  I loved "Serendipity".

Movies I like by the other Paul Anderson: "Event Horizon", "Resident Evil", to a lesser extent "Mortal Kombat".

The only Scorcese films I've seen: "Mean Streets", "Bringing Out the Dead", and "Gangs of New York".

The whole Giant Talking Trees section of "The Two Towers" is among the worst subplots I've seen in a movie.  Right up there with the "Hairdresser in Love" subplot in "Legally Blonde".

I feel better now, having gotten all that off my chest.

That makes me sad, because the Ents were my favorite part of the book.

And I envy you with your lack of Scorsese-watching. Because one day in the future you will get the wonderful sensation of seeing Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Goodfellas for the first time, and that's a feeling most of us will never get back. Of course, they do get better through repitition... but you never forget your first time.

©brad

Quote from: polkablues

i'd work on this if i were u.

dufresne

I absolutley can't stand any Robert Altman films.

i try and try, but i can't sit through any of them (at least the ones i've seen).
There are shadows in life, baby.

SoNowThen

Have you seen Nashville, Long Goodbye, Short Cuts, or The Player?

Those are his best, imo.

dufresne

Quote from: SoNowThenHave you seen Nashville, Long Goodbye, Short Cuts, or The Player?

Those are his best, imo.

I need to watch Short Cuts.

I've seen MASH, The Player and Gosford Park.  I really wanted to enjoy The Player but...
There are shadows in life, baby.

polkablues

Quote from: SoNowThenThat makes me sad, because the Ents were my favorite part of the book.

That's what I keep hearing from people who read the book, but it's hard for me to imagine when I think of how uncomfortable my ass got in my seat every time they came on screen.  Maybe someday I'll give the book another try.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SoNowThen

Quote from: dufresne
Quote from: SoNowThenHave you seen Nashville, Long Goodbye, Short Cuts, or The Player?

Those are his best, imo.

I need to watch Short Cuts.

I've seen MASH, The Player and Gosford Park.  I really wanted to enjoy The Player but...

Yeah, see Short Cuts. It's his masterpiece. MASH is overrated (I think because it made so much money), and Gosford is just plain boring. I love Altman, and I fell asleep in the theatre.

Ernie

I hate Todd Solondz. I think he's hurting cinema badly...almost as bad as Michael Bay.

I hate Lars Von Trier. I think he's hurting cinema badly. His dogme idea makes me sad, really sad...almost as sad as Michael Bay's films.

I don't like Ron Howard. I think A Beautiful Mind and Apollo 13 are bad, boring films.

I don't like Oliver Stone...his style just annoys me.

I don't like Peter Jackson cause of LOTR alone.

I don't like Larry Clark. I think he's a perve and a no-talent prick.

I hate LOTR. I think it is a horrible film.

I think it's laughable that some people find the 40's and 50's to be the golden age of film...the golden age was definitely the 70's. We were just starting out in the 40's and 50's...of course there are some great films in those decades but the best OVERALL decade for film thus far is the 70's...there were a lot more inventions and new filmmaker's that just fucking turned cinema upside down...it's a beautiful thing.

I really don't like PDL's dvd cover art.

I got into PTA in the fall and winter of 2001. PDL is the only film of his that I got interested in and found and discovered before the theatrical release.

I'm not all that hyped about The Matrix Reloaded. I want to see it eventually, I still have to rent the first one again and finish watching it...I kinda lost interest in it when I tried to last time. I really do want to see them both eventually though. They sound fun but the whole "there is no (blank)...there is no (blank)...there is no (blank)...enter this, enter that, your the one"...it all bores me after awhile.

I think Drew Barrymore is a good actress.

I don't like Monty Python & the Holy Grail...I think it's annoying and incoherent and horribly unfunny and AWKWARD (above all) to watch ...the humor is actually really childish for how mature you would expect it to be...or at least for how mature I expected it to be.

I don't like Forrest Gump that much. I don't hate it though.

I think The Usual Suspects, Memento, The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable are horrible, gimmicky, bad films that try to use twist endings and other overly obvious stylistic shit to a fault...you can see the director wink at you through your fucking mom's back-of-her-head-eyes if you close YOUR eyes really hard. (Signs rules).

SoNowThen

Quote from: ebeamanI hate Todd Solondz. I think he's hurting cinema badly...almost as bad as Michael Bay.

I hate Lars Von Trier. I think he's hurting cinema badly. His dogme idea makes me sad, really sad...almost as sad as Michael Bay's films.

I don't like Ron Howard. I think A Beautiful Mind and Apollo 13 are bad, boring films.

I don't like Oliver Stone...his style just annoys me.

I don't like Peter Jackson cause of LOTR alone.

I don't like Larry Clark. I think he's a perve and a no-talent prick.

I hate LOTR. I think it is a horrible film.

I think it's laughable that some people find the 40's and 50's to be the golden age of film...the golden age was definitely the 70's. We were just starting out in the 40's and 50's...of course there are some great films in those decades but the best OVERALL decade for film thus far is the 70's...there were a lot more inventions and new filmmaker's that just fucking turned cinema upside down...it's a beautiful thing.

I really don't like PDL's dvd cover art.

I got into PTA in the fall and winter of 2001. PDL is the only film of his that I got interested in and found and discovered before the theatrical release.

I'm not all that hyped about The Matrix Reloaded. I want to see it eventually, I still have to rent the first one again and finish watching it...I kinda lost interest in it when I tried to last time. I really do want to see them both eventually though. They sound fun but the whole "there is no (blank)...there is no (blank)...there is no (blank)...enter this, enter that, your the one"...it all bores me after awhile.

I think Drew Barrymore is a good actress.

I don't like Monty Python & the Holy Grail...I think it's annoying and incoherent and horribly unfunny and AWKWARD (above all) to watch ...the humor is actually really childish for how mature you would expect it to be...or at least for how mature I expected it to be.

I don't like Forrest Gump that much. I don't hate it though.

Sweetest post ever. I agree on everything except the Peter Jackson LOTR stuff. Oh, and I love PDL cover art. I haven't decided yet about Solondz. You go, Ebs!!! So right on the 50's stuff.