...what are you now?

Started by NEON MERCURY, September 23, 2023, 10:33:06 AM

NEON MERCURY

hey all. kinda funny doing this from my phone. when I discovered this place and met you good people, I would always type from a desktop PC. anyways the purpose of this thread is to see what people, who use to post frequently, are they up to now. there probably is a thread already on here with the similar theme I'm going with...but forgive me as I'm feeling self indulgent.

anyways. I was a lurker on the ptanderson boards and then use to post frequently during the early days/years here. my posts, were nothing meaningful or creative as the rest of you guys...I just thought it was cool to find a place with like minded individuals. for anyone reading this, I hate to sound "old" but during peak periods here - there was truly nothing like this place. which should be evident that after all these years, I still think about you all and this forum. that's a testament to xixax, and the users.

ok, purpose is to learn about everyone and what are they up to now. family? children? personal tastes in general? I will start off by saying (ironically enough giving the genesis of this board) I no longer get excited for PTAs films. I was obsessed all the way through TWBB. but films after that I have either, watched once, watched halfway through..or not at all. after some self reflection on this, it got me thinking " am I the only one here who is like this?" ...and to a further degree, "how are my old friends here doing?".

I was born and raised in SC and moved to PA in 2008. I'm close to my 50's and have a wife and three children. yes..I'm old sith 3 younger children. late start in life if you're looking to do wife + kids thing I guess..

for film..I still love Lynch and will fan boyishly admit that twin peaks is still untouchable as far as TV series goes. there hasn't been any no one will ever reach those highs. for film, I still routinely watch Lynch and pre TWBB PTA...after that, I watch whatever holds my interests. last night I watch the new fast/furious and enjoyed it. and that statement I just made..would never came from me 15 years ago.

I use to write off shit like that as garbage cinema. but I haven't seen or have no desire to see licorice pizza but yet I am eagerly awaiting the new saw movie. lol... unreal have my tastes change.

music...ah. music...I've always laughed at how we can all agree godfather part 1 and 2 are great films...but taste in music is so much more subjective. I still love alt-country and revisit classic albums of the genre. my current favs are (still) Ryan Adams, glass animals, foals, Damien jurado, and tame Impala.

I also still play videogames. honestly, that is probably my biggest passion...still. I love my PS5...I got it 9 months after launch. besides my children, waiting 9 months for something has never brought me such joy.

I have to cut this short..for better or worse... but I do hope to be a bit more active?... anyways. I wish you all the best..I encourage some of the senior citizens here to chime in as well ...love you guys .

Jeremy Blackman

Love you Neon! Welcome back! If you use Discord, I suggest hopping in our server, as we're quite active there: https://discord.gg/YytYDuvbMt Feel free to post here too, though. Even if it looks dead, there are a lot of lurkers.

My PTA fandom has declined a bit as well. I love Phantom Thread, but Inherent Vice and Licorice Pizza were disappointments for me. I've also been flirting with the idea that Dancer In The Dark might be my favorite movie rather than Magnolia (although significantly less fun to rewatch).

And you're right, of course, Lynch holds up.

Alethia

Hi Neon!  :yabbse-smiley: Blast from the past!

My PTA fandom has evolved but still runs strong. Kinda love his post-TWBB films more than the early ones these days. I'm 36, grinding away in the film industry in NYC (currently working on a rad A24 film), writing when I can and trying to get stuff off the ground. I came out as trans at 34 and have been living in terrifying authenticity ever since lol. I hate Republicans more than ever but have very much softened otherwise. :yabbse-smiley:

Always fun to see the Xaxers of yore come back to say hello.

NEON MERCURY

JB and AW. thanks for the responses. maybe I will hit up the Discord. AW, congratulations working with A24. everything I've seen from them is top tier. sorry to hear about living in "terrifying authenticity". just hoping that your situation is less stressful with time.

ono

Hey Neon!  Nice to see you pop your head in!  I'm still kicking around after having been in and out on and off for over 20 years.  Love this place.  Was a software engineer for like 8 years but quiet quit that bullshit in order to concentrate on creative pursuits.  I'm trading options to support myself and hope to pursue editing work on the side as needed.  We'll see.  After having not done anything for a long time, I've made two short films over the past two years.  The first one was meh.  Have yet to get it accepted anywhere.  Good learning experience.  This second one I shot this summer and am editing it.  It's a long, arduous, tedious process, but oh so fun.  I'm reminded of Ira Glass's thoughts on taste every moment I'm at it.  I've also written two features and am in the process of collaborating with novelist and actress friends on various other projects to make over the next year.  Sick of waiting for someone to tell me yes, and I love calling my own shots.  It's fun times.

Movies: still love PTA though he lost a step with LP.  I think him having kids and an infatuation with the Haims may have thrown him off a bit.  IMO, Phantom Thread was a masterpiece.  Every single cut, all the sound design, just so exquisite.  Inherent Vice is a masterpiece too, IMO.  PTA captures such a feeling, such a mood, with that one.  I've gained a new love for Lynch too.  Saw Eraserhead in full for the first time a few years ago.  It's my favorite, up there with the other four greats of his (Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive).  Inland Empire is a glorious mess that just needs 30 minutes cut.  But I digress.  Watching Lynch's The Art Life and listening to his audio book, hearing him talk about his processes, is so inspiring.  I saw Wim Wenders new film Perfect Days last night.  What a treat.  I didn't think movies like that are made anymore.  Music: love Modest Mouse and Sunset Rubdown -- hey, they've made a comeback!  Video games: I've been really into Street Fighter 6 over the past few months.  Also anticipating Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and the three Mario games on the horizon (Wonder, RPG and TTYD remakes).  Yeah, I'm a kid at heart.

Alethia

Quote from: NEON MERCURY on September 30, 2023, 06:01:34 PMAW, congratulations working with A24. everything I've seen from them is top tier. sorry to hear about living in "terrifying authenticity". just hoping that your situation is less stressful with time.

Thanks! And I'm largely kidding when I say terrifying. My life these days certainly has significant stresses and challenges, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm surrounded and supported by a lot of lovely people, and I've grown so much in the last few years... I can't wait to see what comes next.  :yabbse-smiley:

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ono on October 01, 2023, 12:11:57 PMHey Neon!  Nice to see you pop your head in!  I'm still kicking around after having been in and out on and off for over 20 years.  Love this place.  Was a software engineer for like 8 years but quiet quit that bullshit in order to concentrate on creative pursuits.  I'm trading options to support myself and hope to pursue editing work on the side as needed.  We'll see.  After having not done anything for a long time, I've made two short films over the past two years.  The first one was meh.  Have yet to get it accepted anywhere.  Good learning experience.  This second one I shot this summer and am editing it.  It's a long, arduous, tedious process, but oh so fun.  I'm reminded of Ira Glass's thoughts on taste every moment I'm at it.  I've also written two features and am in the process of collaborating with novelist and actress friends on various other projects to make over the next year.  Sick of waiting for someone to tell me yes, and I love calling my own shots.  It's fun times.

Movies: still love PTA though he lost a step with LP.  I think him having kids and an infatuation with the Haims may have thrown him off a bit.  IMO, Phantom Thread was a masterpiece.  Every single cut, all the sound design, just so exquisite.  Inherent Vice is a masterpiece too, IMO.  PTA captures such a feeling, such a mood, with that one.  I've gained a new love for Lynch too.  Saw Eraserhead in full for the first time a few years ago.  It's my favorite, up there with the other four greats of his (Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive).  Inland Empire is a glorious mess that just needs 30 minutes cut.  But I digress.  Watching Lynch's The Art Life and listening to his audio book, hearing him talk about his processes, is so inspiring.  I saw Wim Wenders new film Perfect Days last night.  What a treat.  I didn't think movies like that are made anymore.  Music: love Modest Mouse and Sunset Rubdown -- hey, they've made a comeback!  Video games: I've been really into Street Fighter 6 over the past few months.  Also anticipating Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and the three Mario games on the horizon (Wonder, RPG and TTYD remakes).  Yeah, I'm a kid at heart.

Ono, thanks for chiming in as well. I enjoyed reading it a d equally happy of your appreciation of Lynch. I did join the Discord chat that JB mentioned. 😊

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: A(lethia)Ward on October 02, 2023, 11:04:59 PM
Quote from: NEON MERCURY on September 30, 2023, 06:01:34 PMAW, congratulations working with A24. everything I've seen from them is top tier. sorry to hear about living in "terrifying authenticity". just hoping that your situation is less stressful with time.

Thanks! And I'm largely kidding when I say terrifying. My life these days certainly has significant stresses and challenges, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm surrounded and supported by a lot of lovely people, and I've grown so much in the last few years... I can't wait to see what comes next.  :yabbse-smiley:

that makes me happy to hear my friend ☺️

mogwai

Wait, it's 20 years ago Xixax started? 😳 For me, in 2018 I moved from the city I lived in 40 years. To a city close to Copenhagen. Life is more independent but I can feel homesick sometimes. 2022 was a mad year concert wise, I saw 11 gigs mostly due to gigs being postponed due to the corona pandemic.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai on October 15, 2023, 01:19:08 PMWait, it's 20 years ago Xixax started? 😳 For me, in 2018 I moved from the city I lived in 40 years. To a city close to Copenhagen. Life is more independent but I can feel homesick sometimes. 2022 was a mad year concert wise, I saw 11 gigs mostly due to gigs being postponed due to the corona pandemic.

talk about a blast from the past. good to see you're still "around". I remember our Pink Floyd The Wall screencap thread. obviously the film speaks for itself but I remember you had the PAL version and I the NTSC (is that USA?) so the timestamps were off. but you still managed to know exactly what to capture.hope all is well.

mogwai

Quote from: NEON MERCURY on October 18, 2023, 10:47:42 PM
Quote from: mogwai on October 15, 2023, 01:19:08 PMWait, it's 20 years ago Xixax started? 😳 For me, in 2018 I moved from the city I lived in 40 years. To a city close to Copenhagen. Life is more independent but I can feel homesick sometimes. 2022 was a mad year concert wise, I saw 11 gigs mostly due to gigs being postponed due to the corona pandemic.

talk about a blast from the past. good to see you're still "around". I remember our Pink Floyd The Wall screencap thread. obviously the film speaks for itself but I remember you had the PAL version and I the NTSC (is that USA?) so the timestamps were off. but you still managed to know exactly what to capture.hope all is well.

Yeah mate, NTSC is American and PAL for Europe. Omg, I barely remember those caps! That was fun for a while 😅 I remember that always had a great punchline lined up for me. Especially that Michael Clark Dunkan joke about Tom Cruise jazzing in his face. It was from that infamous black water microphone where the interviewer squirted water on his face. Weird that I remember it!

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai on October 21, 2023, 12:15:26 PM
Quote from: NEON MERCURY on October 18, 2023, 10:47:42 PM

Yeah mate, NTSC is American and PAL for Europe. Omg, I barely remember those caps! That was fun for a while 😅 I remember that always had a great punchline lined up for me. Especially that Michael Clark Dunkan joke about Tom Cruise jazzing in his face. It was from that infamous black water microphone where the interviewer squirted water on his face. Weird that I remember it!

lol oh shit! 🤣