►Top 25 of the 00s◄

Started by Stefen, September 23, 2009, 10:26:47 PM

Pubrick

great lists, i can't wait to make mine.

pic i read it on the fb but didn't want to comment cos it always upsets me to see how real ppl know nothing about movies.

i disagree with the following:

-low placing of district 9 and mully drive.
-inclusion at any point of kill bill, lost in trans, and amelie.
-high placing of no cunt.

great stuff in there overall, especially The Fall (ppl might check it out now) and Little Children (i don't agree but your defense would appeal to many ppl who skipped the film altogether).

missing: capturing the friedmans. especially since you hav lesser docos in there.
also: what is that image from before The End.
under the paving stones.

picolas

- i think d9 may very well be a case of just being too new. i dunno. i was head over heals for it after i first saw it. second view was less smooth cause i knew everything that would happen. 37 is by NO MEANS a slap in the face and i still adore it but it may very well age into a better slot. i admit i underappreciate mully d. maybe cause i first saw it when i expected movies to be more self-contained. i'll probably slap myself about it one day.

- i had no idea you, or anyone for that matter, disliked amelie!

- i JUST saw capturing the friedmans last night and it killed me.

- that second-to-last image is from no country. chigur about to kill a guy with his air gun. it was a mistake in the facebook post at first, but i thought it worked as a "i just punctured your brain with my thoughts" kind of thing.

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

Quote from: samsong on February 01, 2010, 02:52:21 PM

4. terence davies's the house of mirth
a masterful, visually arresting adaptation of an evelyn waugh Edith Wharton [fixed] novel, a classic tale of feminine struggle, disillusionment, and suffering within patriarchal victorian society and culture.  its formal prowess, precise execution, and overall excellence (especially in the performances) announces the house of mirth as a truly great and major work by film's heartbreaking end.

DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

socketlevel

Your list was pretty good, a few snores imo but i liked about 90% of it.

two films i totally forgot to add are julian donkey boy and songs from the second floor. both are masterpieces.
the one last hit that spent you...

hedwig

picolas
i loved your list.

i'm so very glad you revisited synecodche ny and i love what you wrote about it. in fact i notice that you included quite a few picks that you opposed the first time around. this is awesome.

here's to a brand new decade.

Quote from: socketlevel on February 02, 2010, 12:36:20 AM
songs from the second floor
YES

matt35mm

Samsong, thanks for including The Company.  Nobody talks about that film and I agree with you that it's a masterpiece.

72teeth

i think i just realised how fast a fuckin decade moves...
i think grew up just now.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

Quote from: 72teeth on February 02, 2010, 03:24:17 PMi think i just realised how fast a fuckin decade moves...
i think grew up just now.

Yeah, I remember when you were 62teeth.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Captain of Industry

Quote from: samsong on February 01, 2010, 02:52:21 PM
15. apichatpong weerasethakul's tropical malady
one of the most singular films from one of the decade's most singular film artists, joe (the director's alternative, easier-to-pronounce-for-white-folk name).  unorthodox, unprecedented, unforgettable.

Unprecedented, phew!  That's a lofty compliment to bestow.  It does have a really strong, unique feeling, so I can see where you're coming from.  Are you familiar with the Art Institute of Chicago's other famous alumni, Hong Sang-soo?

samsong

thanks.

whoops: the evelyn waugh/edith wharton mix up.
haven't seen songs from the second floor or julian donkey boy.
matt i'm glad you love the company as well. 
c.o.i., i am familiar with hong sang-soo, though i didn't know he was an aic alumni.  i'm a fan.  enjoyed the handful of his films that i've seen.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

picolas

YES. lots of terrible movies in there but i guess that's also reflective of the decade.

oh and thanks hedwig. not sure which movies you're referring to when you talk about other movies i didn't like at first, though.

matt35mm

I appreciate the idea and thanks for posting, but I found that to be really unpleasant and crassly executed.  I only watched half of it, though.  There were also a couple of unforgivable spoilers.  And as picolas said, at a certain point there are just some bad movies tossed in there, taking away whatever pride in the decade might have been built up before then.

pete

but it reminds me of how good 8 Mile was.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Convael

It definitely wasn't nearly as strong as his PTA/Kubrick/Scorsese/etc mashups which are pretty phenomenal and nearly always make you feel like you have to run out and rewatch every movie that was in the video.  That one felt kinda clunky especially with the transitions between songs...