Mystic River

Started by MacGuffin, August 25, 2003, 04:47:15 PM

MacGuffin

Trailers:

Cast: Sean Penn (Jimmy Marcus), Kevin Bacon (Sean Devine), Tim Robbins (Dave Boyle), Laurence Fishburne, Marcia Gay Harden, Laura Linney, Emmy Rossum (Katie Marcus), Cayden Boyd (Michael), Kevin Chapman, Celine du Tertre, Jonathan Togo.

Director: Clint Eastwood

Screenwriter: Brian Helgeland (A Knight's Tale, Blood Work, Conspiracy Theory, Highway to Hell; next up are The Order and Mystic River)

Based Upon: The novel, "Mystic River", by Dennis Lehane.

Premise: Three childhood friends, Sean (Bacon), Dave (Robbins) and Jimmy (Penn) are reunited in Boston 25 years later when they become linked together in the murder investigation of Jimmy's oldest daughter, Katie (Rossum). Sean is a police detective investigating the case (Fishburne plays his partner), while Dave is a man with psychological problems caused when he was kidnapped and sexually abused in 1975 when he was a child, who is now a possible suspect in Katie's death. Jimmy, meanwhile, is a violent ex-con seeking to take justice and retribution into his own hands. (Linney plays Jimmy's wife and Katie's mother.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

***beady***

Looks interesting, I don't know if I've seen any of Clint Eastwood's 'directed' films. Kevin Bacon in my view has become a better actor as times passed.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ***beady***I don't know if I've seen any of Clint Eastwood's 'directed' films.

Start with "Unforgiven".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

***beady***

Ok, I shall. Thanx.... :yabbse-smiley:

Find Your Magali

Really looking forward to this. ... In a way, you could argue that it's Tim Robbins' first true meaty dramatic role since all the way back to "The Shawshank Redemption"

He's done some comedies (IQ, Nothing to Lose) and an action flick (Mission to Mars), and a potboiler that I didn't consider a dramatic stretch (Arlington Road).

I must admit I haven't seen "Human Nature."

So, again, I'd argue that this is the first real chance for Robbins to stretch his dramatic chops since Shawshank, and, with Eastwood directing, I'm definitely excited.

picolas

teehee.."Hey Divine.. W'tchlkinat?"

count me as a Sean Penn Tim Robbins nut.

it's lookin' good so far.

Banky

Ohhhhh Shawshank

Remember when movies were that good?

modage

isnt this clint eastwoods first movie as a director that he hasnt starred/had a role in?  i wonder why.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02isnt this clint eastwoods first movie as a director that he hasnt starred/had a role in?  i wonder why.

He didn't star/have a role in "Bird" or "Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil".

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Banky wrote:

QuoteOhhhhh Shawshank

Remember when movies were that good?

Yeah, 1994 was a fairly effective year for movies: Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Ed Wood, Hoop Dreams.....to name a very few.

NEON MERCURY

..sweet poster.This looks good IMO..Good cast....and an added incentive ..a cool tagline.

Pedro

I'm thinkin' ill be seeing this at the autstin film fest this year if possible...

rock and roll

jasper_window

Mystic River is also an excellent book, if anyone's interested.  Shutter Island, written by the same author, is also a tremendous book, and with any luck will be made into a film as well.  Actually Fincher would be a perrfect fit to direct.

aclockworkjj

moonshiner

recalls the subject matter prevalent in A Perfect World.....this should be really good

somebody say something sarcastic about Clint Eastwood, i dare ya  :2gunfire:
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one