Hotel New Hampshire

Started by Tiff, April 24, 2003, 09:08:21 AM

Tiff

I've heard a lot about Hotel New Hampshire being a really weird film, but i've noticed nobody on this board has brought it up. i havent seen it though, but heard a LOT about it. i really wanna see it now. has anyone seen it? if u have, is it good-weird or bad-weird?
"Shut the fuck up!"

phil marlowe

its kind of... john irving weird. i saw a long time ago and i dont remember it very well but i do recall that i didnt like it then. the book though, is excelent.

filmcritic

It's a really beautiful film. Many people haven't seen it, but it comes on Bravo occasionally. I rented it a couple of years ago from Blockbuster and ended up buying it from them because it's a very rare movie to have on VHS in it's original case. The music, cinematography and performances are all terrific.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

chainsmoking insomniac

Agreed.  I thought the movie was just fucking great.  Very quirky.  But that's part of its appeal.  And Jodie Foster is just fantastic in it...but are we surprised?  :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

modage

i knew this sounded familiar.  quick story.  my grandparents recently bought this movie and let my parents watch it.  my parents had to turn it off, and later described it as "awful." and "one of the worst things they'd ever seen".  i'm guessing its very weird.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chainsmoking insomniac

You should check it out man.  Granted, it's not for everyone (as evidenced by your parents reaction) but you might appreciate it.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

filmcritic

Yeah, it's very strange and has many elements of rape, incest and homosexuality. But it is a very beautiful film. What's interesting is that the score is really a take off of "Tales of Hoffman". Most of the score takes that piece of music and extends it.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Finn

I went back and watched this movie again (hadn't seen it in years). I have to admit, it's still as good as it was when I first saw it. It's beautifully constructed with the music, cinemtography and performances. I loved how they took Tales of Hoffman by Jacques Offenbach and extended it into the whole score. Rob Lowe and Jodie Foster are wonderful, as always. I think the style and look of the movie with the music is what makes it so haunting. The hotel with everybody in white at the end leaves you with a feeling that the whole movie took place in a dream. It's definetly worth experiencing.

RIP Tony Richardson
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."