There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

picolas

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Read the whole spoiler thread first, so there's no surprises.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Redlum

https://www.picturehouses.co.uk/news_item.aspx?venueId=oxfd&id=825

I shall be seeing TWBB here with a satelite linked Q&A with DDL. If there are any UK Xixaxers with a PictureHouse cinema nearby we can be fellow audience memebers for this momentous occasion.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Marty McSuperfly

admin edt: allusions to vague spoilers you've probably already almost read

Quote from: Redlum on January 25, 2008, 03:10:29 PM
https://www.picturehouses.co.uk/news_item.aspx?venueId=oxfd&id=825

I shall be seeing TWBB here with a satelite linked Q&A with DDL. If there are any UK Xixaxers with a PictureHouse cinema nearby we can be fellow audience memebers for this momentous occasion.

Bought my ticket for that last week Redlum! Cannot wait! I've been avoiding spoilers for too long now, and the longer it goes on the sooner I'm going to read something specific about bowling or milkshakes or something (I have no idea what those things mean in the grand scheme of things, but those words keep popping up when I scan article before I hurriedly stop reading).

Redlum, did you not see PDL at the London Film Festival? I seem to remember reading you did on Xixax the day after and then realising you must have been a few yards behind me in the queue... http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=1135.msg20901#msg20901

I'll be watching it in Scotland - pretty much the furthest I could possibly be from the DDL Q&A.

Redlum

Hey Marty, yeah PDL at the London Film Fest was great. Since I read about you getting those pre-party tickets, I've been looking out for similar passes in standby queues at the festival.

Bring on the 11th anyways. I wonder if its a two-way linkup, so that questions can be asked from the different locations on the night.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

tpfkabi

i pick up my local small town newspaper today only to find a There Will Be Blood director 'for your consideration' pic on the front page. someone from here was a part of the assistant directing team and one of the things she did was find the twins to play the 1 year old baby (one of the kids is featured in the 'for your consideration' pic) who were cousins of hers. i remember an article a while back about how she worked on a couple Spielberg films, Minority Report and War of the Worlds. if they put the article online i'll copy and paste the full thing.

small world...

(now if the film will actually come here)
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pozer

dont even bother introducing yourself cuz you cant even read the rules.  hopefully you only spoiled this for an admin who takes one for the team and then deletes it.

Quote from: tlong on January 31, 2008, 09:42:04 AM
i left.

good call.

- pozer filling in for pubrick.

tlong

Didn't think my story was a spoiler. Oh well.

Name is Long. Tim Long.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is on TCM this Friday morning.

So there. Introduced.

I have been reading the posts on this group for awhile.

First post.

Fun people here, eh?

tpfkabi

chere mill bee mud in east texas tomorrow.

it may be days before i comment after finally being able to read all these interviews/reviews/the already seen it thread that i have faithfully avoided.

Pozer

i heard it was supposed to play there but now iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's nooooooooooooooot.. gonna happen.

tpfkabi

Quote from: pozer on January 31, 2008, 01:03:18 PM
i heard it was supposed to play there but now iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's nooooooooooooooot.. gonna happen.

"Somebody stop me him!"

tpfkabi

Courtesy Photo
THE ASSISTANT DIRECTOR team for the movie, There Will Be Blood, included Jenny Nolan, formerly of Gilmer, second from left, Others, from left, are, Adam Somner (1st assistant director), Ian Stone (2nd assistant director) and Set Production Assistants Justin Ritson, Kevin Collins and Christian Labarta.

Gilmer native Jenny Nolan part of 'There Will Be Blood' team

By SARAH GREENE 

Gilmer's Jenny Nolan, well established in a movie-making career, is on the team that helped get Paul Thomas Anderson nominated for an Academy Award for directing There Will Be Blood, a film about the early days of the oil industry in California.

And she will be on hand tonight (Jan. 26), at the 60th annual Directors Guild of America awards dinner at the Hyatt Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles. Anderson is one of five nominees for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for 2007.

Jenny's mother, Susan Monts of Gilmer, and her other Texas family share her excitement, not only for Jenny's role as second second assistant director of There Will Be Blood, but because her cousins, twin sons of Hal and Shannalea Taylor of Del Rio, had a role in the movie.

There Will Be Blood tied with No Country for Old Men at getting the most 2007 Oscar nominations — eight. It was filmed in the West Texas country around Marfa in the summer of 2006. Coincidentally, its filming there overlapped by about a week the nearby production of No Country for Old Men, based on Cormac McCarthy's novel of that name, Jenny recalled Thursday in a telephone conversation from her home in Los Angeles.

She said the company, already on location, was having trouble finding a year-old boy child to play the role of Daniel Day-Lewis' adopted son. She remembered that her cousin Hal and his wife had twin sons, Harrison and Stockton, living in that general area. They were picked and filled the role.

After three months on location the company returned to Los Angeles, Jenny said, and they needed the twins for a few more shots. The filmmakers had the family flown to California for an interesting week. The boys are the grandsons of Amelia Taylor and great-grandsons of Natalie Beasley, both of Gilmer.

Day-Lewis is an academy award nominee for best actor for his role as oil speculator Daniel Plainview. The relationship he has with his son, H.W., as he grows up is a key to the story.

The Taylor son is mentioned in a New York Times review by Manohla Dargis: "The brief scenes of Plainview's first tender, awkward moments with H.W. will haunt the story. In one of the most quietly lovely images in a film of boisterous beauty, he gazes at the tiny, pale toddler, chucking him under the chin as they sit on a train very much alone."

(This scene is part of the movie's trailer, now being run in theaters and available as a YouTube clip on the Internet.) The twin boys, now 2 1/2, have an older brother, Sloan, 6.

Jenny said that because of the Hollywood writer's strike, the Saturday night awards will not be telecast. Since There Will Be Blood was completed she has worked on Quarantine, a horror-thriller film for Screen Gems, and she has recently worked on a commercial. Because of the strike, she said, "things are pretty quiet around our town," with no television pilots being filmed.

Jenny said she and the first assistant director were involved in every scene made in There Will be Blood, while two of the three second assistant directors on the 5-person team went on to other projects. She said she saw the completed film twice and knew that it would be considered a great movie. Indeed, it has already received numerous honors.

She said the director, Paul Thomas Anderson, who also wrote the screenplay, had been working on the film for years, but would not have made it with any other actor than Daniel Day-Lewis. Jenny described the star as "fabulous as an actor and as a person."

Jenny prepared for her career by earning a bachelor's degree in drama at West Texas A&M University in Canyon and a master's degree at the University of North Texas in Denton. She has worked in Los Angeles for the last six years.

She said that There Will be Blood, which is a "dark" film, was first scheduled to be shown at art houses only. But because its initial reception was so favorable, she said, it is now showing in limited release in Dallas and other big cities, and is expected to be in general release in the near future.

SPOILERISH PICTURE

ONE OF THE TWIN sons of Hal Taylor, formerly of Gilmer, and his wife appears in this promotional piece put out by Paramount Pictures and Miramax Film Corp. for There Will Be Blood, now in limited release, and holder of eight Academy Award nominations.

tpfkabi

woah....

i did have to have the question asking couple behind me on the left........any time pt had a quiet time for reflection, they did not reflect, they yapped.

no sooner did the final scene end did i hear, "that is the weirdest movie i've ever seen."

arggghh.