eternal sunshine de l'mind spotless..

Started by Satcho9, February 03, 2003, 10:15:53 PM

Kal

Ok I just saw this... EXCELLENT... everything I was expecting and more... this was I think the most anticipated movie of this year for me and I loved it... story is perfect and these guys really know what they have to do... say no more!

MacGuffin

First, a little antedote...

Because of the time schedule, this film was third on my list of films to see today. And wouldn't you know it, out of all the films playing in the megaplex, this was the only one with an attendant checking tickets at the door! The muthaf*cker wouldn't leave. I'm checking my watch, and the trailers has started and this guy, of all this, is doing his job! Sonofabitch! So I'm still checking my watch, and now it's cose to the time when the previews would be over, and this asshole is looking at everyone's stubs. Checking watch, getting nervous. When is this guy gonna leave?! Check watch...Shit, it's started. I know its started. Why couldn't he been guarding "Taking Lives"? It opened the weekend too. But no, he has to be at the one film I wanted to see the most. Finally....he takes off. We make our move, but wouldnt you know it, the theater is packed that the only place the three of us could find, is the muthaf'ing second row. I'm looking up Carrey's nosehairs because the film has started. He's already sitting on the train. So I know, I'll have to see it again...

*Cracks Knuckles* That said, here's my review. I really enjoyed the film, and it's a damn good thing I avoided this nothing-but-praise thread before seeing it for fear of overhype. I thought it was one of the most accurate and natural captures of a couple's relationship ever put on screen. I felt the chemistry between Joel and Clementine. I felt Joel's regret because I would want to keep those memories too, but the film also had a ring of truth in including scenes like seeing the "routine" of a couple going through the motions at the restaurant. And Winslet was ripe for this role; she made her character human, and deserves a Oscar nod for it. Kaufman's script and story puts an ingenious twist on, what is at heart, a very tender romantic comedy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffinFirst, a little antedote...

Because of the time schedule, this film was third on my list of films to see today. And wouldn't you know it, out of all the films playing in the megaplex, this was the only one with an attendant checking tickets at the door! The muthaf*cker wouldn't leave. I'm checking my watch, and the trailers has started and this guy, of all this, is doing his job! Sonofabitch! So I'm still checking my watch, and now it's cose to the time when the previews would be over, and this asshole is looking at everyone's stubs. Checking watch, getting nervous. When is this guy gonna leave?! Check watch...Shit, it's started. I know its started. Why couldn't he been guarding "Taking Lives"? It opened the weekend too. But no, he has to be at the one film I wanted to see the most. Finally....he takes off. We make our move, but wouldnt you know it, the theater is packed that the only place the three of us could find, is the muthaf'ing second row. I'm looking up Carrey's nosehairs because the film has started. He's already sitting on the train. So I know, I'll have to see it again...

*Cracks Knuckles* That said, here's my review. I really enjoyed the film, and it's a damn good thing I avoided this nothing-but-praise thread before seeing it for fear of overhype. I thought it was one of the most accurate and natural captures of a couple's relationship ever put on screen. I felt the chemistry between Joel and Clementine. I felt Joel's regret because I would want to keep those memories too, but the film also had a ring of truth in including scenes like seeing the "routine" of a couple going through the motions at the restaurant. And Winslet was ripe for this role; she made her character human, and deserves a Oscar nod for it. Kaufman's script and story puts an ingenious twist on, what is at heart, a very tender romantic comedy.

It's too bad your (and your friends') eight bucks didn't go to this film.  Why didn't you just start the day off by purchasing a ticket for that show, that way, the money wouldn't be going to Dawn of the Dead, and you wouldn't have missed the first couple minutes of it.

For being a seasoned veteran at it.. didn't that idea cross your mind?
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

MacGuffin

Quote from: 82It's too bad your (and your friends') eight bucks didn't go to this film.  Why didn't you just start the day off by purchasing a ticket for that show, that way, the money wouldn't be going to Dawn of the Dead, and you wouldn't have missed the first couple minutes of it.

Quote from: MacGuffinBecause of the time schedule, this film was third on my list of films to see today.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: 82It's too bad your (and your friends') eight bucks didn't go to this film.  Why didn't you just start the day off by purchasing a ticket for that show, that way, the money wouldn't be going to Dawn of the Dead, and you wouldn't have missed the first couple minutes of it.

Quote from: MacGuffinBecause of the time schedule, this film was third on my list of films to see today.

Right.. You couldn't have bought a ticket to see that late showing of the movie and walk into the others?
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

cine

Quote from: 82Right.. You couldn't have bought a ticket to see that late showing of the movie and walk into the others?
:lol: What are you getting at, man?  This is ridiculous..

Sorry I had to jump in, Mac, but Jesus!

Quote from: Cinephile:lol: What are you getting at, man?  This is ridiculous..

I would rather see money go to a movie like Eternal Sunshine rather than Dawn of the Dead.  Sorry.

ono

Ideally, I'd agree with 82 here.  But only because it's so depressing to see Dawn of the Dead take in tops at the Box Office this weekend, while Eternal Sunshine didn't even place.  Even more depressing that newscasts find it necessary/important to report on that sort of thing in the first place.  No other business reports in the manner that film does.  Sure, they have their top ten lists and whatnot, but they're not nearly as pervasive.  Ah, capitalism.  *insert something witty here -- it's too damn early/late*

Ghostboy

But see, when you're planning a day of theater hopping, you don't count on things like annoying ushers getting in your way. You plan things out according to the most ideal schedule, which Mac did (saving the best for last), so that you see as many movies while wasting as little time in between shows as possible. It's a fine art, and while you allow for the possibility of derailment, you certainly don't PLAN on having your schedule obstructed by a dedicated employee.

Kal

I couldnt see a movie like this together with many others... I dont care when you're talking about movies without much thinking or need to pay attention like Dawn of the Dead (which I wont see until DVD), but for Eternal Sunshine I wanted to be really focused and ready and I was looking forward to it for a while... I took a nap, went to have dinner, and then saw the movie very happy...

And being that is so important for this business the Box Office results I do care on who I give my money to... Thats why I'm willing to get counterfit copies of The Passion of the Christ to whoever wants it... that fucker made too much money already with that shit

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaIdeally, I'd agree with 82 here.  But only because it's so depressing to see Dawn of the Dead take in tops at the Box Office this weekend, while Eternal Sunshine didn't even place.

I dunno what you're talkin' about; Eternal placed 6th for the weekend. And horror films, which I know you have a bias against, typically do strong on the first weekend, for all the fans, then drop sharply the next.

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

The news report I saw only reported on the top five, so that explains that.

picolas

Mac, you can't defend your choice to not buy a ticket as the right thing. it's the wrong thing. it's wrong. but 82, so are plenty of other things everybody does. downloading music, or setting fire to trousers on a clothes line for instance. so even though i wouldn't not buy a ticket, i guess it's kind of okay. but Mac should acknowledge that it's not.

Chest Rockwell

They might have been joking, but everyone at the Independent Spirit Awards seemed to encourage piracy as a means of simply getting a hold of their films and being able to watch them. Granted, it's not really the same thing. Either way, I saw Eternal Sunshine with Taking Lives and made sure that the money went to Eternal Sunshine.

grand theft sparrow

I'm tired this morning.  

I spent all night rummaging through the lost and found at the movie theatre where I saw Eternal Sunshine last night.  The movie blew my nuts off and I had a hard time finding them afterwards.

Next time I see this, I'm wearing a cup.