cigs & redvines possible interview

Started by modage, September 03, 2012, 06:43:40 PM

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: md on September 04, 2012, 10:29:27 PM
good...you're too young to understand but some day you'll understand...now run along lil one.

Now Back to the thread...

Q:   "Paul, what's your relationship with Brett Ratner at the moment?"
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

md

reminds me of the day, the Q and A, of PDL....u lames were thrown softballs....glad i had the balls to nail it and ask some hard hitting questions....

Quote from: md on June 30, 2003, 11:13:58 PM
aight boys just came back from the pdl screening and pta q and a.....every question was rather lame, as they have been repeated again and again, the same hey, im a aspiring blah blah and whats the deal with the frogs...everyone laughed and sighed and pta was just kinda like...fuck not this....after his answer he said half jokingly i hope that answers your fucking frog question! fucking great...another person quesitoned if the michael penn try video was really one take, and what the old fashioned trick was, simply put pta kinda laughed and said running, running thats the trick....word....then he asked if he had comments on the whole kevin smith/pta shit...and pta pretty much said i dont give a fuck..leave me alone..i asked him about the movie with no dialogue and the script he was writing for for about 3-4 years...like most magicians he kept his screts to himself..and said it was an adventure type peice but he said shit can transform like his boogie nights script did when he first wrote the mockumentary when he was 19...but the mannerisms and the tone of voice was just everythign i expected...i really do love that mans voice, i guess the ghouladi jeans are passed down....but it was just a overall amazing night and hbas inpsired me to know end...mad peoipole were hovering around him for autographjs alot of wierd shit to...i had him sign my pdl dvd and i told himt o sign it xixax.com...he kinda mumbled not sure what is was....kinda gave me a smile and realized what it was and was kinda like..ohhhhh i know what this is....we smiled we shook hands and that was that... 

I asked him about the Radiohead scoring his film too....but shiettt...what do kids know? That was almost 10 years ago, you were prolly just learning on to pee standin up.....

If you're mother only knew....that you was tryin to get with P.

Been there, done that, you got guns? I got straps. word
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

InTylerWeTrust

O.... k....

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=2406.0

See, now I know what you're talking about dude.. Finally your condescending drunk rambling makes sense!... Damn that was back in 2003?   And you got him to sign it for "Xixax"?

RESPECT

HeywoodRFloyd

Wow at that picture, what a legend.

I have an obvious question that should be asked if we don't find an answer until then.

Why did he release alternate takes/unused footage from the film in the teasers and trailers?

We all have our theories, but it'd be nice, not to mention concrete, if he were to shed some light on that

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on September 04, 2012, 11:53:08 PM

Why did he release alternate takes/unused footage from the film in the teasers and trailers?

Funny that is YOU asking that question, because you (a couple weeks ago) gave a very interesting plausible reason:

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on August 19, 2012, 01:11:18 AM

"Plus for a lot of the scenes that ARE in the movie, they used a lot of alternate takes for the trailers. So the experience of seeing the movie can actually be FRESH"

Why would PTA do that?
I think it is showing how a person remembers a memory or an experience, it's not exactly how it really was, it's not 'The Master of that Memory' (Thanks Pubrick) it's how you comprehended it at that point in time, from a perspective you had at that point in time, how you 'processed' that information.

And I think the 3rd Teaser fits in here beautifully.

LOVE. Love is a key to how this works. Remember from personal experience, when you have been in Love, even if that Love is diminished, that memory that you might have from an experience you processed when you were in love, still holds that emotional value that you attributed to it back then, hence that memory is not like how it really was, but how you remembered it to be.

I might be stretching it here, but I actually have strong faith in this next point, otherwise why would Paul even do it this way?

Okay, now let's look at the teasers and trailers.

I've already seen people mention that the teasers aren't colour corrected... but what if they weren't meant to be? What if the blown out hazy look of the teasers were meant to represent a memory of that scene. Not 'The Master Experience'. What if the reason PTA released these in only 720p was to achieve a fragment, a hazy look, not well defined and beautiful but a flashback. When you remember a memory, you don't really remember details, you remember just the focus of the memory, usually just the conversation etc.[/size]

The more I think about your theory, the more sense it all makes...  The teasers do look like short pieces of dreams/memories that form a part of a bigger picture. The first teaser, in my opinion, being the key piece in all of this.

I think if Paul were to be asked that question, he would not answer it... or he would give some bullshit non-explanatory answer. And good for him. It's best to NOT know and draw our conclusions/theories.

But your theory is definitely the best one at this point.

Pubrick

based on a post from Quirky delights in PDL..

Why hasn't PDL been released on bluray? Is a "superbit" dvd release good enough to the point of rendering a quality blu transfer redundant?

He should care about the home release of his films because it's how everyone in the world is going to see his work after the elite theatrical runs.

Not to belabor the comparison, but Kubrick (whom all great post-Kubrick directors must be measured by) spent a large part of his time making sure that his films were being released to decent specifications. Unfortunately, the capabilities of VHS and 4:3 CRT TVs were pitiful and he had to contend with the lamest possible reproduction constraints. Still, he made the most of it by diligently "protecting the frame" (his words) in his post 1980 films so they could be enjoyed in the ancient VHS era.

Even with those restrictions old man Kube still had the foresight to know that eventually people MUST be able to see things in high definition, evidenced by the extremely fine detail present in every inch of his films. SO it is incumbent upon modern makers of masterpieces to make sure the best possible version of their works is available for home viewing, employing the best modern technology, and not just be satisfied that a few hundred douche bags will get to see their films in 70mm.. while the rest are left sitting at home with their limp lo-res dicks in their hands.
under the paving stones.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: Pubrick on September 06, 2012, 06:06:18 AM
Xpost from Quirky delights in PDL..

Why hasn't PDL been released on bluray? Is a "superbit" dvd release good enough to the point of rendering a quality blu transfer redundant?

He should care about the home release of his films because it's how everyone in the world is going to see his work after the elite theatrical runs.

Not to belabor the comparison, but Kubrick (whom all great post-Kubrick directors must be measured by) spent a large part of his time making sure that his films were being released to decent specifications. Unfortunately, the capabilities of VHS and 4:3 CRT TVs were pitiful and he had to contend with the lamest possible reproduction constraints. Still, he made the most of it by diligently "protecting the frame" (his words) in his post 1980 films so they could be enjoyed in the ancient VHS era.

Even with those restrictions old man Kube still had the foresight to know that eventually people MUST be able to see things in high definition, evidenced by the extremely fine detail present in every inch of his films. SO it is incumbent upon modern makers of masterpieces to make sure the best possible version of their works is available for home viewing, employing the best modern technology, and not just be satisfied that a few hundred douche bags will get to see their films in 70mm.. while the rest are left sitting at home with their limp lo-res dicks in their hands.

Hands down best comment I've read since I registered on Xixax.  :bravo:

I completely agree with you, Films essentially become classics at home, regardless how well/poor it was received in it's theatrical run.

I also half believe that Paul might have decided to shoot The Master in 70mm due to the emergence of blu-ray. Does anyone else think so?

Especially what I find curious is his comment 'we just brought in the edges' essentially changing the AR from it's native 2.20:1 to 1.85:1, was he thinking about the HDTV Aspect Ratio? acknowledging the promise of the future of home releases? Because let's be honest, we can't experience the full scope of films like Ben Hur, which has an incredible blu-ray transfer from 70mm, but has an extremely wide AR of 2.76:1 because it was intended for cinerama.

But films with an aspect ratio of 1:85 on HDTV's are much more absorbing & immersive, for example The Shining on blu-ray.
So was PTA thinking about the home releases of The Master when he made the decision to frame the film by bringing in the edges? I think that's an important question to also ask

Cloudy

Great posts from both of you guys.

QuoteSo was PTA thinking about the home releases of The Master when he made the decision to frame the film by bringing in the edges? I think that's an important question to also ask

I don't have the direct quote from what he said in the Q&A, but just to paraphrase I think he said that he brought in the edges because The Master isn't an "epic". He was mumbling about how it was usually an "epic" format from the 50's/60's, so was he saying that The Master is not an epic? His response was very vague. We need a more in-depth response to that question I think.

QuoteFilms essentially become classics at home, regardless how well/poor it was received in it's theatrical run.

That hits it home right there. It's kind of sad that that's the case. But, that's why revival cinema's are fucking gems.

P Heat

1. Amy Adams the new Julianne Moore for you?
2. You're a clear John Huston fan, was "Wise Blood" any inspiration? How do you compare that film to his others?
3. Aaron Paul has openly state his love for your work and his interest in being involved with you in any way. What do you think of him? Working with him a possibility?
4.  How much times have you watched "Bad Santa" this year or are going to? Would you like to make a dark comedy like it?
5. You're a family man. After "The Master" promotion will you be going back to a hiatus or "Inherent Vice" is something you really want to make? Luis Guzman would be awesome for it. (Kinda answered in the VVoice interview but I still want to ask)
6. Ever been to Florida? If so how to you like it compared to California.

Any of these get answered I would cry.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Reel

Neil

You will  cry once you hear his opinion on Florida? Are you Al Gore?

I'm throwin' rocks tonight!

No. Seriously,

"So Paul, Aside from Inherent vice and any other projects buzzing around the Internets, what else do you have on the back burners?"

He's clearly a guy who plays it close to the vest, but hey, it could happen.  Maybe the 1000th time will be the one he gives into.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

matt35mm

Do you realize that we are your biggest truest deepest fans? Next time you're gonna pull a secret screening, can it be for us? Tip us off, at least? We won't say a word to anyone else. Kisses and hugs. Love, XIXAX.

Kellen

"Have you watched Cabin Fever lately?"

But seriously though,  it would be cool to see what younger/newer directors he likes to watch films from.

Pubrick

Quote from: Kellen on September 06, 2012, 11:44:13 PM

No no, "have you seen the cabin fever bluray and listened to the commentary?"

This would be a good question.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Pubrick on September 07, 2012, 12:05:04 AM
Quote from: Kellen on September 06, 2012, 11:44:13 PM

No no, "have you seen the cabin fever bluray and listened to the commentary?"

This would be a good question.

Seriously, this would be a great question. But PTA's reaction should be recorded when reading it.
Si