Werner Herzog

Started by adolfwolfli, August 06, 2003, 01:05:56 PM

MacGuffin

Werner Herzog Making 3D Documentary on Prehistoric Cave Art!
by Elisabeth Rappe; Cinematical

The brilliant and entirely unique Werner Herzog seems to be everywhere these days. Thanks to YouTube, Twitter, movie sites, and blogs, he's enjoying the kind of pop culture status that you couldn't have predicted back in the cultish days of Aguirre, The Wrath of God and Klaus Kinski. When Roger Ebert is tweeting battles pitting Werner Herzog against Chuck Norris, you know he's reached a new level of viral fame.

But what might he be working on now? The Herzog Versus Norris battle didn't reveal it, but Roger Ebert's blog did. Herzog, of all people, is embracing 3D technology to make a documentary about prehistoric paintings in the Cave of Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc. This is an astonishing, haunting discovery that was just made in 1994 in France, and almost no one has seen what the explorers have found there. They've been fanatic about preserving it, and rightfully so. (Many prehistoric finds are being eaten away by tourists, such as the famous paintings of Lascaux.) But Herzog has, in his own words, talked his way in and has been allowed to film the paintings for a few hours at a stretch.

Ebert's blog has video of Herzog talking about the project in his hypnotic and passionate way. It's not worth trying to describe what he's seen there when he can do it so much better. His thoughts on 3D are both coolly analytical and critical, and sums up what many of you have probably felt watching a 3D film. Yet he's not going to disdain the technology, and his employment for this documentary sounds nothing short of incredible.

I don't know when we'll ever see it -- Herzog was taking off from this CU-Boulder appearance to go shoot his longest stretch yet -- but I'm really anticipating the day we do. It's the only way any of us will see Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc, and I can't think of a better man to bring them to the wider world than Herzog. (I can't even begin to imagine what other archaeological treasures could be explored this way.) And yes, in case you were wondering, he will be narrating this film.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/the_ecstary_of_the_filmmaker_h.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 12, 2010, 01:17:06 PM
When Roger Ebert is tweeting battles pitting Werner Herzog against Chuck Norris, you know he's reached a new level of viral fame. you should never be made aware of what the internet is ruining.

polkablues

Burden of Dreams, the documentary about the filming of Fitzcarraldo, is available on Hulu right now.  I want Werner Herzog to be my dad.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

speaking of which...some harder to find herzog from the 70s are on the netflix instant right now including this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076741/
this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070136/
und this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074650/
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

JG

Haven't seen the third but the first two are definitely cool, especially the one about the skier.

MacGuffin

Werner Herzog's Next an "Epic" Gertrude Bell Biopic?
Source: ComingSoon

Werner Herzog spoke this morning with CraveOnline to promote the DVD release of his latest film, My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? and chatted briefly about upcoming projects.

Theatrically, Herzog's 3D documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams will debut September 13th at the Toronto International Film Festival. Herzog was given unprecedented access to France's Chauvet Cave, the site of some of the oldest documented human drawings.

That documentary will quickly be followed by another in the form of Happy People: A Year in the Taiga. Produced, edited and narrated by Herzog, the footage itself comes from a four and a half hour version by filmmaker Dmitry Vasyukov, focusing on hunters in Siberia. The film is expected to premiere at Telluride. Footage from the release premiered under-the-radar on Herzog's own website and is viewable at the bottom of this story.

"In between all this, I've written a screenplay for a big epic feature film that I'm plowing on," Herzog also told CraveOnline, though was hesitant to go into details.

The Playlist managed a bit more, learning that the film takes place in the desert. Most likely this is the long-discussed biopic of Gertrude Bell, the ambassadorial British writer who traveled the middle east in the first years of the 20th century, becoming a powerful figure in the political administration of the region. Late last year, Herzog told FilmCritic.com that a Bell project was in the works.

The busy director told CraveOnline that he has already started filming on another project as well involving a Texan maximum security prison.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 22, 2010, 10:15:02 PM
The busy director told CraveOnline that he has already started filming on another project as well involving a Texan maximum security prison.

Anyone know where he's filming this?

MacGuffin

IFC Films explores Herzog's 'Cave'
Film unit nabs U.S. distrib rights to 3D docu
Source: Variety

TORONTO --- IFC Films has snapped up U.S. distribution rights to Werner Herzog's 3D docu "Cave of Forgotten Dreams."

Also in Toronto, IFC's banked the first major deal of the fest with James Gunn's dark comedy "Super," starring Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page.

"Cave" is repped by Submarine Entertainment, which is also selling Errol Morris' docu "Tabloid" here at the fest.

Herzog's pic, which he narrates, explores the Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc cave in southern France, which houses the oldest known art creations of humankind and depict life some 30,000 years ago.

Pic has generated buzz since its screening at Toronto and has had a number of domestic buyers circling it since it screened this week. It also screened at Telluride pre-Toronto.

"Cave" is produced by Creative Differences in partnership with History Films and The French Ministry of Culture and Communication as a co-production with Arte France in association with More 4.

Erik Nelson and Adrienne Cuiffo produce and Dave Harding, David McKillop, Julian P. Hobbs, Molly Thompson and Tabitha Jackson exec produce. Nelson has already produced two docus with Herzog: "Encounters At The End of the World" and "Grizzly Bear," which went on to generate more than $3 million in the U.S.

Deal was negotiated by Arianna Bocco and Betsy Rodgers for IFC and Submarine's Josh Braun on behalf of the filmmakers with Marc Simon of Cowan, DeBaets, Abrahams & Sheppard LLP providing legal services.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: Variety
Nelson has already produced two docus with Herzog: "Encounters At The End of the World" and "Grizzly Bear"

Good god, they're bad at this.

Stefen

He got his film and music indie wires crossed. His computer chip is all wrong.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

(directed by Ramin Bahrani)

Gold Trumpet

Haha, the second attempt to post about the Ramin Bahrani short in Werner Herzog's director thread.

polkablues

Quote from: Werner Herzog"After 35 years of knowing John Waters I turn to my wife and I said to her, 'I have the feeling that this man is gay.'"

I love you so much, Werner Herzog.

Context, if you really want it, can be found here.

P Heat

what I don't understand is how Werner does not have his own "Director's Chair" thread in the front page.  The man is always active and everything he creates is pure gold. Even youtube videos like the one above (Thx for that polka, classic herzog)
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pubrick

Quote from: P Heat on April 19, 2012, 07:23:06 PM
what I don't understand is how Werner does not have his own "Director's Chair" thread in the front page.  The man is always active and everything he creates is pure gold. Even youtube videos like the one above (Thx for that polka, classic herzog)

It was this kind of mentality that led to us creating a forum for almost every notable director alive.

In case you haven't noticed we have significantly fewer forums now because quite frankly no one actually gives a fuck to actually TALK about these so called great directors. It just results in an even more cluttered board which our meager membership can hardly find the patience to trawl.

Feel free to go nuts in this thread though. If you can best thirteen pages of intermittent discussion over nearly ten years, well, that'll be super.
under the paving stones.