Sugar (Half Nelson follow up)

Started by w/o horse, October 20, 2008, 02:53:20 PM

w/o horse

Opens April 3, 2009.  No trailer yet.  I see it was at Toronto, did anyone go?

http://www.sonyclassics.com/sugar/

QuoteSUGAR
Special Screenings
(USA, 2008, 118 mins)
In English, Spanish with English subtitles
35mm
US Premiere
Screenwriter(s) : Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
Directed By: Anna Boden,
Ryan Fleck
Cast: Algenis Perez Soto, Rayniel Rufino, Andre Holland, Michael Gaston, Jaime Tirelli, Jose Rijo, Ann Whitney, Richard Bull, Ellary Porterfield, Alina Vargas, Kelvin Leonardo Garcia, Joendy Pena Brown
Producers: Paul Mezey, Jamie Patricof, Jeremy Kepp Walker
Executive Producer: Anna Boden
Director of Photography: Andrij Parekh
Editor: Anna Boden
Music: Michael Brook

For many Dominicans, baseball represents the pathway from poverty to wealth and glory. And so when Sugar, a gifted 19-year-old pitcher, gets called up to the American minor leagues, it seems a dream fulfilled for him, his family and his community. But life on the road and under the glare of the lights carries more challenges than the young man imagined. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck's follow-up to their Oscar-nominated HALF NELSON is a miracle of cinema, a restrained, moving and wholly realized human story. SUGAR seems to evolve organically—at times feeling almost improvised—and is filled with the gentle twists and surprises of a real life being lived. Yet, as it progresses, one recognizes its thoughtful construction; it is carefully paced and breathtakingly composed (by HALF NELSON cinematographer Andrij Parekh). The sports footage is convincing without being showy, and the struggles of Sugar and the other newcomers to the US are drawn with deep empathy, instead of relying on contrived, episodic moments. As Sugar, newcomer Algenis Pérez is a thrill to watch: a smart, curious and everyday-brave young man whose wide-eyed naivety is soon transformed into wisdom. As Sugar makes his way, the film grows, too, from a familiar boy-trying-to-make-it-big tale into a grander yet quieter story, that of a newcomer seeking a place in America, still the container for the world's hopes and aspirations.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

gob

Seeing it at London Film Fest in a couple days. My obsession with baseball + an appreciation of Half Nelson = hopefully a good film experience.

matt35mm

Gob!  I didn't know you were in London!

I'll be at the London Film Fest that same day.  I won't be seeing Sugar because I already have a ticket to W., which conflicts with Sugar.  Later on that evening, I'll be watching Wendy & Lucy as well.

What are you watching?

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: April 3rd, 2009 (limited)

Starring: Algenis Perez Soto, Richard Bull, Michael Gaston, Karl Bury, Ellary Porterfield

Directed by: Ryan Fleck, Anna Boden (Half Nelson)

Premise: Miguel Santos, a.k.a Azucar, a Dominican pitcher from San Pedro de Macoris, struggles to make it to the big leagues and pull himself and his family out of poverty.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Ahhh, I forgot about this film. It came out at Sundance last year. If you do any thumbing around, beware an article on Movie City News, they discuss the ending at length. I remember reading it at the time thinking I'd never see this.
WWPTAD?