Strangers with Candy

Started by godardian, May 12, 2003, 04:40:35 PM

cine

The more you guys talk about this show, the more likely I'm going to go out of my way and order them.

Bethie

I saw Amy Sedaris on Conan many months ago while she was promoting the DVDs. She is very pretty. I would have never known it was the woman from Strangers With Candy if they hadn't mentioned it.
who likes movies anyway

godardian

Quote from: BethieI saw Amy Sedaris on Conan many months ago while she was promoting the DVDs. She is very pretty. I would have never known it was the woman from Strangers With Candy if they hadn't mentioned it.

She is much better looking in life than on the show... of course, part of the joke is that she's been deformed by a tough life on the streets after being a teenage runaway for 32 years and also a boozer, user, and loser.     :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

They were shipped to my house today along with the Upright Citizens Brigade! Oh my, this is a good day -- they came a few days early too! I think I just might cry... :-D

godardian

Quote from: CinephileThey were shipped to my house today along with the Upright Citizens Brigade! Oh my, this is a good day -- they came a few days early too! I think I just might cry... :-D

You will, of course, set aside everything else in your life so as to watch every episode back-to-back...?

:)

Do post here with your thoughts once you start watching.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

cine

Just watched the first episode. I didn't laugh too much but I'm not into the show really yet. The writing is great though, just like the UCB. When I started finding the show very funny was when Poppy died and she told the story to the parents and ended with a non-chalant "and then she died." I'm looking forward to the next episodes!  :-D

godardian

Quote from: CinephileJust watched the first episode. I didn't laugh too much but I'm not into the show really yet. The writing is great though, just like the UCB. When I started finding the show very funny was when Poppy died and she told the story to the parents and ended with a non-chalant "and then she died." I'm looking forward to the next episodes!  :-D

They do get progressively better/funnier, and it is those deadpan yet horrible lines that gives the show a lot of its uniquely crazy feel.

Stefen

It doesn't really get really great till about the 4th and 5th episode. Stephen Colbert is the man in this show. He's probably my favorite character. "How would I know? I'm married" Great stuff. I'm attracted to Amy Sedaris.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

So I've watched the first two seasons of Strangers With Candy. And every episode was great. I really can't say who I laughed at more.. Paul Dinello or Stephen Colbert. I want to say Colbert but good lord, Dinello was fantastic. Their characters grew to become so absurd that I was near tears laughing when Mr. Jellineck said he was going to put the origami cranes in the kiln.

So much great stuff on that show.. I can't wait for season 3 and the movie!

Thanks to all of you for recommending SWC and UCB... if there's anything else you all love comedy-wise that I might like, please let me know as I have fallen madly in love with this show thanks to you guys!  :-D

Sleuth

Quote from: CinephileThanks to all of you for recommending SWC and UCB... if there's anything else you all love comedy-wise that I might like, please let me know as I have fallen madly in love with this show thanks to you guys!  :-D

ASSIGNMENTS AND RATINGS (choose wisely):

The State * * *

Stella       * * * *

Mr. Show  * * * * *
I like to hug dogs

cine

Quote from: SlombMr. Show  * * * * *
Oh yeah, I've always loved Mr. Show. I remember one that I was crying because I laughed so hard. There was a race against these children and I think it was Cross that pulled a fat kid into the bushes and he slit his throat. I shall be getting those 2 DVDs soon.

The other two I'm not familiar with yet.

cine

meatwad

finally got around to buying season 3 this past weekend. The quality of this show did not drop at all. i really can't wait for this movie

Sleuth

The first few episodes were probably some of the weakest, I think.  Once it hits "Is My Daddy Crazy?" it gets good again though (by the way, that's probably my favourite episode)
I like to hug dogs

godardian

My favorite episode EVER is the illiteracy one, but my favorite season 3 episode would probably be "Ask Jerri." I've been introducing a friend to all the episodes (from all the seasons), and they are amazingly consistent.