Family Guy

Started by SHAFTR, June 27, 2003, 01:27:41 PM

Gamblour.

While I thought that reference was a little late, it was still pretty funny. This whole season has really got me enjoying family guy again. The whole college episode is awesome "Oh no! Did it hit 'Crazy Stairs'?"
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on November 23, 2005, 05:46:58 PM
I gotta admit, I actually thought this was funny.
i guess u had to be there..
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

What's getting on my nerves is that an episode will be almost HALF reenactments of pop culture references.  REALLY LONG ONES!

I understand that making a reference to something out of the eighties can be funny sometimes, but do we need to watch the entire AHA video or the entire song from Little Shop of Horrors?  It's not creative in the least and they're not doing anything to make it any different or funnier than whatever it is they're referencing.  It's just lazy.

Ravi

Obviously there are many people who think pop culture references are inherently funny in and of themselves  :yabbse-sad:

polkablues

Quote from: Ravi on November 26, 2005, 05:17:37 PM
Obviously there are many people who think pop culture references are inherently funny in and of themselves  :yabbse-sad:

That would be me.  Simply hearing the name "Tina Yothers" makes me laugh.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

references are funny, RK even admitted that, but not when they go on forever. a joke is made and then it's killed if u don't know when to stop making it.

family guy is like "joke.. (1sec) ok the smart ppl got it we should wait for the 12 year olds (1min) have u got it yet? ok let's keep it going just in case (1hr) there now everyone gets it and presumably still finds it funny"

it's an affront to comedy.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

No, the "Family Guy" formula is: funny (1 second), not funny (10 seconds), uncomfortable (20 seconds), pants-pissingly hysterical (30 seconds and on).  Plus, they have a baby that talks like James Mason.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

we're both wrong.

the family guy formula is: one shit, add water, add more water, add all the water at your disposal, wait for the next Great Flood. take a swim.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

The one extremely long joke I found hilarious was when Peter stubs his toe and he spends at least 60s seconds going "Owww, sssssss, owww, ssssss....."  That's what we do when we stub our toe, so it had the ring of truth to it, and wasn't merely a joke that goes on so long its funny (which I mostly don't find funny).

Its what you do with the reference that makes it funny.  Like their depiction of one of the girls on Facts of Life as a she-male.  Or the "stickler for a tickler" joke parodying the repeated terminology that Seinfeld often used.  Just randomly bringing up the A-Team isn't funny.  It might be funny in a real conversation if one of your friends suddenly bursts out, "I pity da fool!" but I expect better from people who are getting paid to write.

tpfkabi

Vol 3 comes out Tuesday.
for some reason none of the Sunday ad papers posted the price (anyone know why some cd/dvd's do this from time to time?)
looking at the online stores, Best Buy was the cheapest at $24.99
i just wondered if there's anyone in the know if it will actually be cheaper than the online list price like products usually are during their release week?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

That motherfucking president is interrupting a new Family Guy with flubbed lines and warhawk rhetoric. Fuck.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Nevermind, this episode sucked. There were like 30 references tonight. Lame.
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

gw was pissing me off. if they would have preempted FG they would have received a letter by me.
i liked the fonz/ED joke.

my friend reminded me of the "wandee" newman joke from Season one and i have been laughing about it all day.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

the best season was the third, and that's not to say it was great. some stewie brian jokes are serious super awesomeness, like when they talk about books and show how they're more intelligent than the rest of the family. the thing that really hurts the show is how full of himself seth mcfarlane is and how intelligent and funny he thinks his comedy is. it's slightly intelligent. and the endings fuck almost all episodes, like the one peter has to hunt a sea monster to get his house back without the wife knowing  and he does it, but the couple that was living in their house is still there.  i bet he's the kind of person that gets women at bars by imitating stewie.

edit: i apologize if this post seems rushed. it was rushed. but most of my points stand. you wanna fight, i'll fist fight you
context, context, context.

Ravi

Quote from: cronopio on December 20, 2005, 07:20:17 PM
like the one peter has to hunt a sea monster to get his house back without the wife knowing  and he does it, but the couple that was living in their house is still there.

Gee, that sounds a lot like The Simpsons where Marge and Homer go on the marriage retreat, and Homer sneaks out to catch the giant catfish.