Shutter Island

Started by MacGuffin, October 23, 2007, 12:14:30 AM

Alexandro

MacGuffin

UPDATED: 'Shutter Island' shuttered until next year

UPDATED WITH STATEMENT FROM BRAD GREY

Paramount Pictures is pushing the release of director Martin Scorsese's highly anticipated "Shutter Island," starring Leonardo DiCaprio, from Oct. 3 to Feb. 19 of next year.

The move means that the gothic thriller won't be in Oscar contention for this year. Paramount has spent heavily already marketing its summer movie hits "Star Trek," "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" and didn't want to shell out another $100 million on advertising and prints this year, especially when it has two other releases -- "The Lovely Bones" and "Up in the Air" -- that it will also be pushing for Oscar consideration. The best picture category for the Oscars has been expanded to 10 starting next year, but apparently Paramount needs one that goes to 11.

Still, the decision is not without risk. Scorsese was told earlier this week that this was being considered and if it ends up backfiring on the studio, it could strain the director's relationship and deal with Paramount Pictures and its chairman, Brad Grey. The move was first reported by Deadline Hollywood Daily.

"Our 2009 slate was green-lit in a very different economic climate and as a result we must remain flexible and willing to recalibrate and adapt to a changing environment," said Grey in a statement.

"Shutter Island" is an adaptation of a Dennis Lehane novel about two investigators who probe the escape of a female mental patient and get trapped on the island that houses the institution.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

New Feeling

Gamblour.

FUCK. I was waiting to read this book after I saw the movie. Dammit, I was really looking forward to seeing this.
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

when this played before IB i thought,

"Marty's doing a horror movie?"

but then i remembered he did Cape Fear - which i've never seen all of, just bits on TV.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas on August 25, 2009, 10:10:14 AM

but then i remembered he did Cape Fear - which i've never seen all of, just bits on TV.

Scorsese also did a horror episode of Spielberg's tv show, Amazing Stories.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 25, 2009, 10:25:05 AM
Quote from: bigideas on August 25, 2009, 10:10:14 AM

Scorsese also did a horror episode of Spielberg's tv show, Amazing Stories.

Never heard of it. sounds interesting.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

socketlevel

ya it was one of the better ones, i think a bunch of good directors did them. toby hooper comes to mind among others.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Quote from: socketlevel on August 25, 2009, 03:01:01 PM
a bunch of good directors did them. toby hooper comes to mind

Oh, no.....
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

tobe*

hey he did some good shit, especially around that time

Stefen

I don't think he's ever done anything that was good. Fun maybe, but not good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

i didn't know those two qualities are mutually exclusive

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

children with angels

Hahaha... In terms of title/tagline at least, that may be the funniest so far...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/