Scorsese's Top 10 Best Use Of Light & Color

Started by MacGuffin, July 15, 2005, 08:36:28 AM

MacGuffin

Scorsese sheds light on top pictures
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Martin Scorsese has come up with the top 10 films he believes demonstrate a masterful use of light and color. He actually decided on doing it twice, once for English-language films and again for international.

"Films use light and color to tell a story in a special narrative way, which delivers a strong emotional and intellectual impact on the viewer," Scorsese said. "That made a very strong impression on me and has affected how I try to use color in all of my films."

Scorsese's choices include "Singin' in the Rain" (1952, directors Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly; cinematographer Harold Rosson), "Duel in the Sun" (1946, director King Vidor; cinematographers Lee Garmes, Ray Rennahan, Hal Rosson), "The Red Shoes" (1948, directors Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger; cinematographer Jack Cardiff), "The River" (1951, director Jean Renoir; cinematographer Claude Renoir; India/France/U.S.) and "The Last Emperor" (1987, director Bernardo Bertolucci; cinematographer Vittorio Storaro).

The alphabetical lists, disclosed Thursday, were the idea of Philips Electronics, which was looking for a way to promote its Ambilight FlatTV displays.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

those choices seem rather obvious but good partial list nonetheless

Alexandro

I really thought he would include Vertigo...

I like The River, specially bcause of the color, but i'm not sure about it being up there...

I think Apocalypse Now's use of color is better than The Last Emperor's...but well, what do i know?

I really thought he would include Vertigo BARRY LYNDON...
context, context, context.

hedwig

I really thought he would include Vertigo BARRY LYNDON Mulholland Drive

ono

I really thought he would include Vertigo BARRY LYNDON Mulholland Drive White Chicks.

MacGuffin

I'm still looking for the full list, so there's hope those will be on his picks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Both Vertigo and Barry Lyndon are on there,

no Mulholland Dr, though
or White Chicks.

Two Lane Blacktop

There should be a Dario Argento flick on there.  Suspiria or Inferno would both be good choices.
Body by Guinness

slackerinthehouse

Scorcese is dead on with Contempt, i love Godard's use of color in that movie, i think it partly influenced PTA's Punch-Drunk Love
Are You a former Fullbright Scholar?

pete

YAY Shadows of the Forgotten Ancestors!  Wow.  Someone still shouts out to Parajankov.  Rest in peace.
everyone should check it out!  as well as colors of pomegranate.  some breathtaking images there.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

FORT

come in with the milk,
come in with the milk,
come in with the milk,
etc..

his decent into madness as the in-progress light makes his
screening room into a flashing red mental prison,
if we're talkin recent.

also that shot of him naked in the chair as he's listing the very detailed instructions is just like a greek painting or someshiit, like with the rays of light from the projector spouting out creating a halo from behind his head.

[i say we start listin our Top 10 fav Scorsese Uses Of Light & Color]
"..we had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole multi-colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers, also; a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.. not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. the only thing that really worried me was the ether. there is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.