The Departed (Infernal Affairs remake)

Started by MacGuffin, February 13, 2004, 02:09:12 AM

MacGuffin

Martin Scorsese Eyeing Infernal Affairs Next
Source: Variety

According to Variety, Martin Scorsese has just finished the Howard Hughes biopic The Aviator and his reps are now busily negotiating to make Infernal Affairs his next picture at Warner Bros.

Based on the trilogy of Chinese-language gangster movies of the same name ("Wu jian dao"), "Infernal" will be produced by Scorsese as well as Brad Grey, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt's Plan B production company. Pitt is said to be considering a starring role in the film.

Set in the midst of an intractable battle between the Hong Kong police and the triads that rule the area, the original film follows a cop who's been assigned to work undercover inside the gangs and who's risen to a fairly senior level. Simultaneously, a secret member of the same powerful criminal gang has infiltrated the police force with an equal measure of luck and success.

William Monahan has written the script for the film. He also penned Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven at Fox, Mazar e Sharif at Columbia Pictures, Tripoli at Fox again and Jurassic Park IV at Universal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Si

Alethia

meatwad

William Monahan is on a role with all those scripts. Jurassic Park IV seems a little out of place in the group

SoNowThen

This has been a bizarre Scorsese rumor month.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Kal

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5310&highlight=infernal

Saw the original in the Palm Springs Film Festival and loved it... they told me there it was sold to Miramax for the remake and that Brad Pitt was going to be in it...

I bought the original version DVD (Asian) and its really cool. Of course its in Cantonese with subtitles. The presentation of the DVD and all the features are great.

They also made Infernal Affairs 2 and 3... I saw the 2nd one and didnt like it much... seems that Miramax bought only the 1st one

:roll:

Gold Trumpet

Scorsese is truly a Hollywood director now. He is a man of talent, but little vision. He keeps going back to projects that have him resurface old techniques hoping that his new tune might be finer than the last one. That being said, I hope this film does well. Brad Pitt is an underrated leading man and Scorsese may be able to cook up something that is entertaining.

Ghostboy

FYI: a few posts commenting on GT's above critique have been deleted; the comments made light of cancer, and while I'm sure their authors didn't intend for them to be insensitive, they were deemed such and have been removed.

Everyone please remember to be considerate...even when you're (playfully) insulting someone else.

ElPandaRoyal

Well, I can try and understand why you deleted those posts, but I don't really agree with that. We were all joking about it (I know I was) and I'm sure GT knew about it (hey, GT, if you took that seriously, I'm sorry, anyway). I just think everyone makes a big deal about all these things. This is an Internet message board. I repeat, although I don't agree with deleting the posts, I understand why you did it. I just wouldn't like this to become a place were you condemn Janet Jackson for showing the world that she has a breast.

Anyway, this is about Scorsese, and he's a king  :)  Let's just hope he makes another Cape Fear with this one, bringing back his technique to mainstream cinema again.
Si

citizenaniki

Hopefully Scorsese will do a good job, I have faith in him on this one.  I don't see any other director doing a better job currently.  

I thought the original Infernal Affairs was decent the 1st time I saw it, but i have seen it a couple times since and it has definitely gotten increasingly better.  As for the second one, I actually enjoyed that one a lot too.  Part 3 is on it's way from HK as we speak hopefully it will be up to par.

..can't wait to see what a fantastic job Miramax does on their release of the original. :roll:

SoNowThen

Quote from: GhostboyFYI: a few posts commenting on GT's above critique have been deleted; the comments made light of cancer, and while I'm sure their authors didn't intend for them to be insensitive, they were deemed such and have been removed.

Everyone please remember to be considerate...even when you're (playfully) insulting someone else.

Seriously??

Is this a new direction for the board or something? Cos if GT complained, I would've been happy to delete the post myself. I'm fairly reasonable, someone could have Pm'd me.

But, uh, I dunno.... are we in Twilight Zone here? Are we not allowed to talk about Fight Club now, too?

disclaimer: this is no anger directed towards you GB, just wondering generally out loud...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: GhostboyFYI: a few posts commenting on GT's above critique have been deleted; the comments made light of cancer, and while I'm sure their authors didn't intend for them to be insensitive, they were deemed such and have been removed.

Seriously??

Is this a new direction for the board or something? Cos if GT complained, I would've been happy to delete the post myself. I'm fairly reasonable, someone could have Pm'd me.

But, uh, I dunno.... are we in Twilight Zone here? Are we not allowed to talk about Fight Club now, too?

disclaimer: this is no anger directed towards you GB, just wondering generally out loud...

I did complain and saw no reason to PM you because doing so would have only deleted one of the posts. I got the job done with one PM and as I know you guys were joking, you hit a sensitive subject for me. To explain briefly, I once was hospitalized for weeks receiving treatment for suspected brain cancer. It turned out to be just a scare, but in no way did I come away clean, I'm the first person I know to be diagnosed with MS while still in high school. No one say sorry for the jokes, no one PM me offering any fucking condolences. Just drop the subject and move on.

modage

i have to ask, is your sig Bull Burham on purpose?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

well infernal affairs is a pretty standard cop-and-gangsta/ cat-and-mouse thriller--a good, solid thriller, but still a pretty standard movie.  some parts were pretty cheesy, some parts felt derivative (I mean Tony Leung is basically playing the same guy from John Woo's Hard Boiled), and its biggest saving grace is actually the Buddhist references made in the beginning and the end of the film, thus the title "Infernal Affairs."  But it's by no means a spiritual film.  Unless Scorsese decides to go really far with the undercover schizophrenia thing, or the Buddhist thing, the film will probablyl be a pointless remake.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

gabriel

John Woo definitely comes to mind. On paper, this sounds like material for a more oriented action director like him than Marty. A more believable Asian-project for Marty that was announced in the late 90's was an adaptation of Robert Whiting's book "Tokyo Underworld", about a real life US Marine turned into a gangster in mid-century Tokyo, which apparently was being penned by Nicholas Pileggi no less. Not a lot of news since then though. Recent bits mentioned Dreamworks optioning the book, with producers Harry & Mary Jane Ufland attached and Jason Cahill, from the "Sopranos", being drafted to join Pileggi in the adaptation.