The King of Comedy

Started by SHAFTR, December 06, 2003, 01:43:37 AM

SHAFTR

I noticed there wasn't a thread on this film.  I just saw it (on the big screen) and I was a big fan of the film.  I knew a big deal was made about Meet the Parents and how DeNiro does comedy.  I think this movie is very funny and so is DeNiro.  His performance in this is top notch, he skillfilly balances between funny and crazy.  I thought the mis-en-scene was excellent, with the way DeNiro was always framed as if he was on a Late Show.  The use of telephoto lens to flatten the image out to make it seem like tv.

I know that it wasn't really critically praised when it was released or that it didn't do well at all at the Box Office.

I really enjoyed the Taxi Driver like ending.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pedro

Hah...man you dont even have to say anything, and we know you're in film school.  That's ok, I think the same way about things.  But i haven't seen this film yet...hm.  i think ill netflix it soon

SHAFTR

The print I saw (only 16mm) wasn't matted correctly, so we watched it in academy ratio.  I thought it was because Scorsese shot it like that to give a look of television.  Than I found out about the matting problem.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

I never liked the film. My main problem is that the complexity of thought and idea applied to the film seems like it should have been a short film instead. Unlike other better comedies, the movie is hardly inventive with new ideas. It just drags out this man's obcession for this talk show host with the same simple points. I just kept feeling a pounding of it to where it became lame. And thing is, De Niro is fine. Scorsese understands the filmmaking perspective he has to take, but the story really starts with an idea hardly new and gives very little to add to it.

Finn

This movie and The Color of Money are the only two Scorsese movies I haven't seen.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

tpfkabi

this is my personal favorite Scorsese film.....i've said stuff about it before somewhere......is this his only PG film?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

cine

I doubt it. I think New York, New York and The Last Waltz were PG and probably Kundun too.

SoNowThen

Kundun and Age Of Innocence are PG
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

soixante

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is rated PG.
Music is your best entertainment value.

tpfkabi

ok. i haven't seen any of those, but a few of those are documentaries though, right?

that must have been a big switch.....wasn't the screenplay written by the same guy that wrote Taxi Driver? he went from a film filled with dark subject matter/ violence to one with no language/violence......i think i've read somewhere that Scorsese didn't really care for the film all that much

i wonder if the title sequence sparked QT's Kill Bill title sequence......i guess it's kinda opposite because KoC jars you when the frame becomes unfrozen at the end....as opposed to the gunshot in KB at the beginning

RegularKarate

the screenwriter was not the same for Taxi Driver and KOC does have violence in it... just not the same kind of violence that Taxi Driver or say... Goodfellas does.

I liked King of Comedy... I personally wouldn't ever want to own the DVD, but I enjoyed the film.

tpfkabi

ok, i was thinking it was paul schrader who wrote both TD and RB, but the screenwriter for KOC got an award from the British Academy......so i was contrasting two different people......still it's quite a different MS movie

if you haven't seen it in widescreen, you're missing something.......beautiful pastels

bonanzataz

the chick who turned madonna on to kabbalah is funny in this movie.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

wilder

Watch: Rare Footage Of Martin Scorsese & Michael Powell On The Set Of 'The King Of Comedy'
via The Playlist

The short version of the story goes like this. In 1960, Michael Powell of the famed Powell & Pressburger directorial team, struck out on his own and helmed "Peeping Tom." The result? Critics and British industry savaged the movie at the time, and he found himself essentially excommunicated and exiled. However, he was championed by the new school of American filmmakers, Martin Scorsese, in particular. It was through him that he met his future wife, editor Thelma Schoonmaker, and the rest is history.

The interwebs serves a brief but lovely document of their friendship, as some footage of Powell visiting Scorsese on the set of "The King of Comedy" has surfaced. It seems to be an excerpt from a longer documentary about Powell, but regardless, it's quick glance behind the scenes of Scorsese's film as well as some kind words from the director about his hero. It's some pretty charming stuff all around. Give it a spin below. Update: Movies.com also found footage of Powell and Francis Ford Coppola touring Zoetrope Studios, watch below.

socketlevel

i'd put money on scorsese being coked up in that first clip.

You should include that one of the reasons why he was exiled was because the film was about the dangers of voyeurism and it used the camera (even literally) as a weapon of rape/murder.

That's so punk rock. So his career suffered, meh whatever, he'll live forever because of it.
the one last hit that spent you...