HBO’s Martin Scorsese/Mick Jagger Rock ‘N’ Roll Drama

Started by wilder, June 26, 2014, 04:51:49 PM

wilder

HBO's Martin Scorsese/Mick Jagger Rock 'N' Roll Drama Adds Cast
via Deadline

Joe Caniano, Andrew "Dice" Clay, Ato Essandoh, Robert Funaro, James Jagger, Birgitte Sorenson, and J.C. Mackenzie have been added to the cast of HBO's Untitled Rock 'n' Roll project. The pilot is in production in New York, with Martin Scorsese directing.

The untitled drama is set in 1970s New York and explores the drug- and sex-fueled music business as punk and disco were breaking out, all through the eyes of record executive Richie Finestra (Bobby Cannavale), who is trying to resurrect his label and find the next new sound. Ray Romano will play Richie's close confidant and right-hand man Zak Yankovich, the tough and sharp-witted head of promotions at American Century, with years of experience dating back to the shady, mob-infested days of the recording industry.

The drama pilot's executive producers are Scorsese,  Mick Jagger, Terence Winter, George Mastras, Victoria Pearman, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, and Rick Yorn.

Newly added to the cast, Caniano is Leo, Richie's longtime chauffeur and confidant; Clay is cast as Frank "Buck" Rogers, the obnoxious, cocaine-fueled owner of a chain of radio stations; Essandoh portrays Lester Grimes, a former singer and ex-colleague of Finestra; Funaro is Tony Del Greco, chief enforcer for a New York mob boss; the younger Jagger is Kip Stevens, lead singer of Nasty Bits, a early punk rock band. Sorenson plays Ingrid, a Danish actress favored by Andy Warhol and close friend of Finestra's wife, Devon; Mackenzie plays Skip Fontaine, head of sales for American Century Records.

In addition to Cannavale and Romano, the cast also includes Olivia Wilde plays his wife, Devon Finestra — a former actress/model who lived a Bohemian life in 1960s New York. Juno Temple is Jamie Vine, is an ambitious assistant in the A&R Department of the label.  Max Casella is Julian "Julie" Silver,  the head of A&R of American Century;  Jack Quaid is Clark Morelle,  a young A&R executive at the label.

Back in summer 2010, Deadline first reported about this sweeping period drama from Boardwalk Empire duo of Scorsese and Winter — with rock legend Jagger as a partner. The project back then was referred to as History Of Music, a rock 'n' roll epic following two friends through 40 years in the music business, from the early days of R&B to contemporary hip-hop. It originated as a feature based on Jagger's idea, first at Disney and then at Paramount, where it was set up three years before that — with Scorsese attached to direct the pilot, and Jagger, his Jagged Films partner Pearman, and Scorsese producing.  Scorsese had directed Jagger and his Rolling Stones band mates in the 2008 feature documentary Shine A Light, which Pearman produced.

wilder

HBO Picks Up Martin Scorsese Rock N Roll Drama To Series, Unveils Cast Details
via The Playlist

Given Martin Scorsese's attachment as executive producer and pilot director for his currently untitled Rock N' Roll drama—Mick Jagger is also an exec-producer— and his relationship with HBO who ran "Boardwalk Empire" for five seasons (which Scorsese also exec-produced), it's little surprise that the cable behemoth has picked up the show for a full series run. "Boardwalk Empire" showrunner and writer Terence Winter (who also wrote "The Wolf Of Wall Street") will resume the same duties on this show. Set in 1970s New York, the series will explore the drug- and sex-fueled music business as punk and disco were breaking out, all through the eyes of a record executive trying to resurrect his label and find the next new sound.

The show stars Bobby Cannavale (another "Boardwalk Empire" alum), Olivia Wilde, Juno Temple, Andrew "Dice" Clay, Ray Romano and more. HBO has released the names of the entire cast and who they are playing too. The hour-long pilot will shoot in New York and presumably will hit sometime in 2015. Details below.....

Bobby Cannavale as Richie Finestra, the founder and president of a top-tier record label (American Century Records) with a great ear for discovering talent, who undergoes a crisis of character when confronted with a life-altering decision.

Olivia Wilde as Devon Finestra, Richie's wife, a former actress/model who lived a Bohemian life in 1960s New York. Richie's crisis causes strain on their family and propels her to re-immerse in her former lifestyle.

Ray Romano as Zak Yankovich, one of Richie's partners, the tough and savvy Head of Promotions of American Century with decades of experience dating back to the dark, mob-infested days of the recording business.

Juno Temple as Jamie Vine, an ambitious assistant in the A&R Department of American Century. She uses her keen abilities to manipulate people and blend into the various subcultures of the New York music underground in order to break through the glass ceiling and get ahead at the record label.

Andrew "Dice" Clay as Frank "Buck" Rogers, the cocaine-fueled owner of a chain of radio stations.

Ato Essandoh as Lester Grimes, a former singer and ex-colleague of Richie Finestra.

Max Casella as Julius "Julie" Silver, nurturing yet with an explosive temper, and the Head of A&R of American Century, who struggles to stay hip and relevant in the young man's game of the rock 'n' roll business.

James Jagger as Kip Stevens, lead singer of Nasty Bits, an early punk-rock band.

Jack Quaid as Clark Morelle, a young A&R executive at American Century who struggles for a foothold in the competitive environment of the A&R team.

Birgitte Sorenson as Ingrid, a Danish actress favored by Andy Warhol and close friend of Richie Finestra's wife, Devon.

P.J. Byrne as Scott Levitt, Head of Legal for American Century Records.

J.C. MacKenzie as Skip Fontaine, Richie's partner and Head of Sales for American Century Records.

Bo Dietl as Joe Corso, a thuggish "independent promotion man" who may or may not have ties to organized crime.

Armen Garo as Corrado Galasso, a New York mob boss.

Robert Funaro as Tony Del Greco, chief enforcer for a New York mob boss.

Joe Caniano as Leo, Richie's longtime chauffeur and confidante.

jenkins

OpO1832

Oh man they re built MAX'S! How funny would it be if Scorsese had Abel Ferrea do a cameo in MAX's, a young abel! He was a patron of that place. Max's was always cooler than CBGBS! Later on the Mudd Clubb was the spot, it nyc these places always never last, but thats cool. This looks good, I wish Scorsese would pull a proper Fassbinder and shoot the whole series!

OpO1832

sheesh bo dietl is in this, the man is so annoying, dostoevsky had a name for his breed of annoyance, the exact title escapes me I will have to dust off my copy of notes from the underground.

in the trailer it looks like the new york dolls or a rip off of that band, since the song personality crisis plays and now considering the premise, that the main character is undergoing a personality crisis...didactic but i love the song.

its interesting to see how Scorsese/HBO are basically promoting drugs in this trailer, they can do all the back pedaling but its def. appealing to that Vice crowd of foo-gay-zie know-it-alls.

jenkins

Quote from: OpO1832 on August 18, 2015, 11:19:50 PM
its interesting to see how Scorsese/HBO are basically promoting drugs in this trailer, they can do all the back pedaling but its def. appealing to that Vice crowd of foo-gay-zie know-it-alls.

i think when the voice over begins with "clouded by lost brain cells, and -- maybe a little bullshit" and the tone of his voice -- i think there are characteristics of someone having outpartied themselves sometimes through life, and i think scorsese will perform in the scorsese range of the good mixed with the bad

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Any thoughts?

The first episode reminded me a bit of early "Treme" in that it revered musical performances, yet we're not fully invested in the characters yet. Richie's flashbacks provided some context to what one can assume will be his redemption story, so that grabbed me a bit. Luckily, there was enough character drama (the alcoholism, violence, record label failure, creative control) to keep things from getting flat here (excuse the pun).

Overall, I just hope it doesn't end up heavy-handed, or so overtly comical that nobody gives a shit about the story. The only reason I really enjoyed the music on "Boardwalk Empire" was because it helped support or act as a counterpoint to the drama. Even though the focus here is ON music, it's been awhile since people who make TV shows have been able to express the lifestyle of musical creators without getting overly philosophical, so I hope we have that here.

Garam