I Heard You Paint Houses/ The Irishman

Started by MacGuffin, October 02, 2008, 01:02:06 AM

Fuzzy Dunlop

Jeremy Blackman

I neglected to chime in on this, but I think I loved it. For a movie that's supposedly "slow," I found it very propulsive and engaging. Stayed up late because I just could not stop watching it.

And I greatly admire how Scorsese (of all people) was able to strip the glamour away from this lifestyle and give us a clear, ultra-sober view of its consequences.

Speaking of which—the daughter character worked for me. I don't find the portrayal to be misogynist, and I also don't feel it engages much at all with the potential misogyny of the male characters. Scorsese is going for something else. This practice of counting lines vastly undersells what an actor can do with very few words. The daughter is a lot like Sharon Tate in OUATIH. She's kind of the soul of the film. She gets a lot done with her searing presence alone. This character is maybe half as effective as Sharon Tate was for me, but I think that's what Scorsese was going for.

©brad

jviness02

©brad

WorldForgot

Not trying to fuel the fire in favor of DeepFakes  (I think it's obvious there's more nuance to the film's effect work) -- sharing because it's making the rounds

https://youtu.be/dyRvbFhknRc

Drenk

The de-aging just doesn't work with De Niro. His face is just old, you know. He looks fifty throughout the movie. The eyes don't help...
But with Pacino and Pesci (the two Ps), it's all right. Generally, they seem to go from old to very old, without much nuances—I'm not sure it was worth as much millions...
Especially when you got a scene on a roof with awful effects.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, no, the deepfake version just looks too smooth and blurry. I doubt that would hold up at a high resolution.

I think the major issue with The Irishman's de-aging is that the actors don't really move around or carry themselves like younger men. (Not that it actually bothered me, really.)

jviness02

According to the script, Pesci is supposed to be almost 50 in his first scene. He and Pacino are fine, maybe a bit older, but overall, fine. DeNiro definitely looks too old the first section of the film, but it doesn't ruin the film for me. It's not much different to me than Ray Liotta playing 21 in GoodFellas for a portion of the film and DeNiro playing 28 at the beginning of GoodFellas. You just kinda go with it.

wilberfan

wilberfan