NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quick story, but I've been playing MLB the Show 09 a lot lately. It's the only game I currently like a lot. I sort of relegate myself to sports games, but the soundtrack to the game has Kaiser Chiefs, TV On the Radio, Spoon and other bands. The fucking video game is influencing my musical taste because playing the game for hours gets me hearing these bands for hours. The good thing is that the video game has led me to start downloading full albums and listen to these bands (and others) obsessively lately. I'm also going to friends for recommendations on similar bands because they're all pretty great so far. I just never had a fucking video game influence a part of my life like this, but MLB the Show is doing it.

P.S. If I ever comment on these bands, you will get no critical tone. See, I'm delusional enough to believe I know something about movies. I happily accept I know nothing about music. I'm working my way to admitting stupidity on movies, but it's a long hard road, haha.

Stefen

Spoon may the best band of the whole decade. Nobody has been as consistent as them. Download every one their albums. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on December 22, 2009, 01:53:35 AM
Spoon may the best band of the whole decade. Nobody has been as consistent as them. Download every one their albums. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Haha, that's the exact recommendation I got about them.

polkablues

Speaking of sports games, kinda sorta, this little online Flash basketball game is consuming my life.  It's so simple, yet so freaking addicting.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on December 21, 2009, 11:40:40 PM
Are you getting a PS3 for blu-ray? I'd go with a 360 if it's going to be primarily for games.

unless you like little games like Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted............ or don't intend to play L.A. Noire which looks fucking awesome

PS3 exclusives > Xbox exclusives

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on December 22, 2009, 01:53:35 AM

UNTRUE!

but download it anyway... it's fun stuff.

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on December 22, 2009, 01:37:32 AM
The fucking video game is influencing my musical taste because playing the game for hours gets me hearing these bands for hours. The good thing is that the video game has led me to start downloading full albums and listen to these bands (and others) obsessively lately. I'm also going to friends for recommendations on similar bands because they're all pretty great so far. I just never had a fucking video game influence a part of my life like this, but MLB the Show is doing it.

NCAA Football 06 got me into The Pixies, Guided By Voices, Superchunk

Stefen

Quote from: Pas Rap on December 22, 2009, 07:14:49 AM
Quote from: Stefen on December 21, 2009, 11:40:40 PM
Are you getting a PS3 for blu-ray? I'd go with a 360 if it's going to be primarily for games.

unless you like little games like Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted............ or don't intend to play L.A. Noire which looks fucking awesome

PS3 exclusives > Xbox exclusives

No way. PS3 has some good exclusives, but there's only a few. Gran Turismo is nice but Forza is the same thing. This gen is completely switched from last. Last gen PS2 has all the games and XBox had the power, this gen it's switched. Next gen it will probably switch again.

360 has Mass Effect 1 and 2, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Fable II, Crackdown, Shadow Complex and soon Splinter Cell: Conviction and Alan Wake (probably my most anticipated game).

If you want it for Blu-Ray definitely go with PS3, but if you want it for games or as an entertainment hub, I'd go with 360.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't have an HD TV, but admittedly I'm still wanting to get a bluray player so when I get a proper TV, I'll be set.  But I also have to admit, through using friends' consoles, the PS3 waaaaay outmatches the 360. 

First and foremost: online is free for the PS3, so that's pretty much the clincher.  So what if I can't play Halo (more like Gay-lo, amirite?).  The inability to play Mass Effect is really my only casualty, but it is in favor of being able to play all the other PS3 exclusive titles, namely MGS4.  Also, the survival rate of PS3's is much more consistent, whereas it'd be more fitting to assess the 360's failure rate as opposed to its survival rate.  Yowza, what a piece of shit.  I don't know anyone who hasn't owned a 360 --- very anal people who protect their system, mind you --- who still got the red ring of death.  Yeah, no thanks on that.

Plus, as far as I know, only the PS3 has the deal with Netflix, right?  I mean, even if it doesn't, it's not a big deal at this point, but it does help my argument a little bit.  I have Netflix, and soon everything on Watch Instantly will my own little movie arcade!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

i think you can stream it to both the 360 and ps3, walrus, ... but clearly i'm in the ps3 camp.

edit: you need an xbox live gold membership to use netflix on the 360
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on December 22, 2009, 04:05:52 PM
Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on December 22, 2009, 03:40:18 PM
all the other PS3 exclusive titles, namely MGS4.

Name more.

Off the top of my head, Uncharted 1 & 2, Killzone, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm, Resistance 1 & 2, God of War, Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, (upcoming) Heavy Rain, LA Noire, Agent, The Last Guardian.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Even with the release of Fallout 3 and its subsequent expansions, 2009 has been the year of Fallout 2.

Not only was the unofficial, complete patch for Fallout 2 released, but has anyone else checked this out?  You're reading it right, it's a functional Fallout 2 MMO mod.  I've been getting it set up on my computer here, but I've played it and it is awesome albeit a bit hard to stay alive since anyone can kill anyone, and apparently Modoc and Vault City are Russian Death Camps (since many Russians play it, the mod was developed by Russian programmers.)

Once I get it running on my laptop, I'll have further reviews of how awesome it is.  Anyone else down to explore the Fallout 2 world in a way that was never possible before?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Fallout 3 is in my top five of all time. I've never played the others. Are they something I should try? I love that while world and post-apocalyptic element.