Kenosha Wisconsin's own...Weezer!!

Started by cron, March 12, 2005, 06:22:47 PM

JG

Quote from: The WIt's funny that Rivers doesn't like Pinkerton... when it was basically their best album (following Blue, of course).

Weezer has this problem with releasing 5 shitty songs per every great song, and nothing in between.

He does like Pinkerton now and admits that it was a classic album.  I'm pretty much a Weezer fanatic.  I hate everything post 1998 Weezer but if you're a fan of Blue and Pink you should check out unreleased songs like: I just threw out the love of my dreams, blast off!, you won't get with me tonight, mykel and carli, suzanne, jamie, waiting on you, wanda, longtime sunshine...among many many many other unreleased weezer songs that are just as good as any album song.  

make believe is easily better than maladroit and about on par with green.  the lyrics really kill it.  rivers use to be such a great writer.

JG

Quote from: themodernage02JimmyGator, tell us why Weezer sucks now.  dont be afraid of detail.

Rivers is indifferent.  In the days of Pinkerton, he was passionate, spending his days studying opera and classic music for inspiration.  Pinkerton was originally going to be a rock opera known as songs from the black hole (i recommend checking out songs like:  I just threw out the love of my dreams, blast off!, longtime sunshine, and you won't get with me tonight -- all demoes from the concept album).  the idea was scratched but a lot of great songs came from this era.  he really cared then.  when the album got bashed, he thought it was because he was so open about his life.  When he returned with Green he was practically a robot, writing formulaic pop songs.  He has never been the same since.  I could go into, but it's late.  If you have questions, I'd be glad to answer.

I love their show, though.  They really make their songs live sound like their albums, but with an extra zing.

life_boy

Quote from: JimmyGatorI hate everything post 1998 Weezer but if you're a fan of Blue and Pink you should check out unreleased songs...

...among many many many other unreleased weezer songs that are just as good as any album song.

So, would you recommend purchasing the Deluxe Edition?  I've been curious if this was worth the extra money for the demos, live cuts and b-sides.  I think Blue is a great pop album but I wouldn't call myself any kind of big Weezer fan (especially now, post-Green), but I'd be up for listening to some other cuts from those sessions if they're good.  Is the Deluxe Edition a die-hard fans only type of thing?

Pubrick

jimmy gator, in the future use the button to combine several replies into one post.
under the paving stones.

JG

Quote from: life_boy
Quote from: JimmyGatorI hate everything post 1998 Weezer but if you're a fan of Blue and Pink you should check out unreleased songs...

...among many many many other unreleased weezer songs that are just as good as any album song.

So, would you recommend purchasing the Deluxe Edition?  I've been curious if this was worth the extra money for the demos, live cuts and b-sides.  I think Blue is a great pop album but I wouldn't call myself any kind of big Weezer fan (especially now, post-Green), but I'd be up for listening to some other cuts from those sessions if they're good.  Is the Deluxe Edition a die-hard fans only type of thing?

If they were ever to come out with a Pinkerton deluxe, then I would immediatley say yes because the songs of that era are just amazing.  If I were you I would just download the songs that appear on the second disk of that edition -- mykel and carli, jamie, my evaline, and suzanne are all classic weezer tracks.

life_boy

JG

visit weezer.se for all unreleased MP3s.  Very cool stuff.  The best part of Weezer is all the unreleased stuff.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

THANK GOD. Band says Make Believe could be its final album.

Are Weezer Calling It Quits?
Source: MTV 09.13.2005 5:53 PM EDT

They've been a band for more than 13 years, releasing five albums and winning over an army of overly devoted fans in the process. But all that could soon be a distant memory, because it looks like Weezer might never make another album again.

Last week, MTV News spoke to the band before the launch of its co-headlining tour with the Foo Fighters (see "Weezer, Foos Bring Arena-Rock Spectacle To Foozer (WeeFighters?) Tour Kickoff"), and the guys were more than candid about a whole host of subjects, including the fact that Make Believe could very well be their final LP.

"We have no idea if we're going to be a band next year. That's the fun of being in Weezer," guitarist Brian Bell laughed. "That's why we put out albums every three years, and we have these dark periods where we don't know if we're even going to be a band anymore. But I always have this gut feeling that everything will take care of itself, one way or the other, and it always does."

The whole topic sprang from a discussion about the contents of the Make Believe liner notes, in particular one page that contains the following quote, taken from William Shakespeare's "The Tempest": "This rough magic/ I here abjure, and, when I have required/ Some heavenly music, which even now I do/ To work mine end upon their senses that/ This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff/ Bury it certain fathoms in the earth/ And deeper than did ever plummet sound/ I'll drown my book."

On one hand, it's easy to chalk the quote up as yet another vaguely empty/vaguely grandiose gesture by a bunch of rock stars, kind of like Led Zeppelin's J.R.R. Tolkien obsession or Coldplay filling their new album with the Baudot Code (see "Coldplay's Album Cover Decoded (And You Thought The Lyrics Were Geeky ...)" ). But upon closer inspection, it takes on a different quality. Consider the fact that "The Tempest" is Shakespeare's final play, and that the quote is taken from the final soliloquy of Prospero, the play's tragic protagonist, who many scholars see as an incarnation of Shakespeare himself. It comes at the end of the play, as Prospero is renouncing his past and saying farewell to the audience, which many see as Shakespeare laying his pen down and bidding his fans adieu.

And because of all that, it became apparent that there was something more to the quote. Could it be Weezer's way of saying goodbye on the sly?

"When we were putting the album together and finishing up the artwork, I didn't know what was going to happen in the future, and I told everyone that. I told them, 'Let's commit to this year, and see what happens,' " frontman Rivers Cuomo said. "And that was one of the reasons why I put that quote in there, because I thought it's a really nice way to say goodbye, if it is a goodbye."

"When I saw that quote, I thought the same thing. I was studying Shakespeare at a university during the making of Make Believe, and it did spark some concern, and I asked Rivers about it," Bell added. "We never directly say, 'So, does this mean this is our last record? What does this mean?' But I know he took Shakespeare too, and maybe it struck a chord with him."

Weezer's label, Geffen Records, had no comment on the matter, though it's worth noting that the band is only committed to tour in support of Make Believe until the end of the year and has no firm plans after that. Weezer have gone on hiatus before — most notably from 1997 to 2000, as Cuomo attended Harvard University and the other members of the band busied themselves with various side projects — but listening to everyone talk now, it doesn't sound like this is just another long break.

"I don't know what next year will bring. I have no idea," Cuomo said. "I can tell you I have a lot of ideas for songs, a lot of things I want to try, and a lot of new ways of writing I want to explore, and I'm very excited about trying all of that."

"If this really is it for Weezer, I think I'd take some time off, and then me and my lady would move to Las Vegas and start a sort of lounge duo," bassist Scott Shriner laughed. "So I guess you can look for us in Las Vegas soon."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

the band has denied this to be true, but it might be time.  havent made a good record in 9 years. it's so sad.  rivers cuomo could have been great.

Ravi

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1536119/20060711/weezer.jhtml?headlines=true

Rivers Cuomo Says Weezer Are 'Done' For Now — Again
07.12.2006 6:00 AM EDT

At the moment, Rivers Cuomo could not be further removed from the other members of Weezer.

He's sitting in his in-laws' house in southern Japan, fiddling with his wife's guitar ("She never learned how to play it," he laughed) and leafing through his composition book, talking about the songs he's been writing over the past few months.

"All this year, I've been feeling pretty creative and excited, so I've been writing a lot," Cuomo said. "I don't know what'll happen with these songs — if anything — I just sort of write them and I can't stop. I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

To be honest, Cuomo is in no hurry to figure things out. In the past month, he has graduated from Harvard (completing an on-again, off-again decade-long run at the university; see "Rivers Cuomo: Coming To A Dorm Room Near You?") and gotten married. But Cuomo hasn't stopped working — not even on his honeymoon.

"Actually our honeymoon has been one of the best times to write," he said. "At 1 p.m., I get on my crazy Japanese bike and ride for 10 minutes down to the mega-mall, and on the third floor they have all these studios you can rent for five bucks an hour, with drums and a soundboard and everything. So I go in there and work, and when I'm done, I exit into the midst of a Japanese mega-mall."

Some of the tunes Cuomo has been recording are autobiographical. "Heart Songs" is about all the artists and records that have influenced him, "From Gordon Lightfoot's '[The Wreck of the] Edmund Fitzgerald' when I was 5 to Nirvana's Nevermind." Others are just plain nonsensical: "Our Time Will Come" is his ode to the underachieving U.S. men's soccer team.

But again, he's writing them for no one in particular.

While Cuomo isn't exactly at odds with anyone in his band, and all three current members — guitarist Brian Bell, bassist Scott Shriner and drummer Pat Wilson — did serve as groomsmen at his June wedding, he's not exactly speaking to them every day, either. And while Weezer frequently take breaks in-between albums, there is a sense of finality this time, especially given the events of last year, which included the bittersweet farewell Cuomo included in the liner notes of their Make Believe album (see "Are Weezer Calling It Quits?").

"Well, the band is all back in Los Angeles, and I sometimes I speak with Patrick, and I occasionally e-mail with Brian and Scott, but we've never mentioned getting together," Cuomo said. "Really, for the moment, we are done. And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

And if that does mean that Weezer are finished, can fans expect some sort of career-spanning greatest-hits comp? Well, not if Cuomo has anything to do with it.

"It's being discussed with the record company right now, but we have to sign off before they can do anything. And to be honest, we don't all see eye-to-eye on it," he said.

"I'm not convinced that we have a greatest-hits album that is worth putting out at this point," he added. "I'd like to include two more amazing songs on there. And anything else would just seem lazy to me. We'll see, though. I don't really feel comfortable with it now."

For more on Weezer, check out the feature "Weezer: Distraction Subtraction."

— James Montgomery

modage

thank god.  lets hope they never come back.  because at this rate, if they do, they will be the absolute worst band on the planet when they do.

original weezer = awesome
weezer 2.0 = terrible
weezer of the future = apocalypse
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas on July 17, 2006, 07:29:07 PM
who did he marry?

Rivers Marries
Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Weezer front-man Rivers Cuomo is saying goodbye to the single life. According to his band's website, the singer wed his long-time girlfriend Kyoko Ito (Key-oh-ko ee-to) at a private ceremony in Malibu on Sunday. The 36-year old rocker also graduated from Harvard last week, 11 years after he first enrolled.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Source: MTV

Despite Rivers Cuomo's suggestions that he would consider going solo and that Make Believe may be Weezer's last album, a "public service announcement" posted on the group's Web site states otherwise. Featuring a photo of the band — minus drummer Pat Wilson, who was apparently on a family vacation — the post reads: "This PSA has been brought to you by the fine guacamole dip at Scott Shriner's house, co-sponsored by a ring of fine cheese, and a dish of fresh figs from the backyard. Now please, take those 'Weezer split?' headlines and place them firmly into the 'Don't believe the hype' bin. And have yourself a fine afternoon now."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks