Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

jviness02

Spoiler: ShowHide
On second viewing, I can't help but feel this movie is about both Tarantino's childhood and also his supposed impending retirement. The counterculture androgynous leading men taking over Hollywood and ruining Rick Dalton's career seem to be digital and streaming to Quentin Tarantino. As the Manson Murders are symbolic for the "end of the 60s",  the only way for Rick's career to survive is if the "60s" never come to an end. Rick essentially stops them from ending by nullifying the events of the Manson Murders. If one moment was symbolic for the birth of streaming or digital, Quentin would very much like to wipe it from existence.

Drenk

Ascension.

Robyn

Can anyone who's seen the film tell me how much she's in it? Without spoilers of course.

Reel

Sure:
She's only in one scene but there's a lot of backstory to her character

Robyn

Drenk

Richard Brody hated it:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/review-quentin-tarantinos-obscenely-regressive-vision-of-the-sixties-in-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood

But

Quote"Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood" is about a world in which the characters, with Tarantino's help, fabricate the sublime illusions that embody their virtues and redeem their failings—and then perform acts of real-life heroism to justify them again.

...that doesn't sound particularly bad to me.
Ascension.

wilberfan

In an attempt to feel less like an outlier, I've been scoping-out the negative reviews this week.  I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that at least we're all mentioning the same issues...

[edit] And I notice the aggregate scores are creeping down.  The audience rating is now at 77%  (Still pretty good, tho, obviously--but dropping...)

wilberfan

Quote from: Robyn on July 27, 2019, 03:22:13 PM
Can anyone who's seen the film tell me how much she's in it? Without spoilers of course.

I don't know--or have forgotten--the significance of this woman.  It's said that they hate her over in the r/Tarantino world--but I have no idea why.   What's the significance, here?

Robyn

Quote from: wilberfan on July 27, 2019, 05:41:07 PM

I don't know--or have forgotten--the significance of this woman.  It's said that they hate her over in the r/Tarantino world--but I have no idea why.   What's the significance, here?

I like her personally. Seems like a sweet person.

Watch the video above. She was Uma Thurman's stunt double in Kill Bill, then Tarantino wrote a part for her in Death Proof, where she basically play herself. She's not an actor, so I guess people thought she was bad in it. And annoying as well from what I've seen.

She also had a super small role in Django and a bigger one in Hateful Eight. There's no significance to her besides being friends with Quentin and being casted in his movies.

Alethia

Quote from: Drenk on July 27, 2019, 05:19:50 PM
Richard Brody hated it:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/review-quentin-tarantinos-obscenely-regressive-vision-of-the-sixties-in-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood

But

Quote"Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood" is about a world in which the characters, with Tarantino's help, fabricate the sublime illusions that embody their virtues and redeem their failings—and then perform acts of real-life heroism to justify them again.

Richard Brody sucks now.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Robyn on July 27, 2019, 06:03:07 PM

There's no significance to her besides being friends with Quentin and being casted in his movies.

And being his Stunt Coordinator

putneyswipe

Quote from: eward on July 27, 2019, 06:04:15 PM
Quote from: Drenk on July 27, 2019, 05:19:50 PM
Richard Brody hated it:

But

Richard Brody sucks now.

He's the left's Armond White at this point. A talented writer who finds a way to make everything about political binaries

Robyn

Quote from: WorldForgot on July 27, 2019, 09:34:06 PM
Quote from: Robyn on July 27, 2019, 06:03:07 PM

There's no significance to her besides being friends with Quentin and being casted in his movies.

And being his Stunt Coordinator

You're right. I shouldn't diminish that.

Most importantly, she did the stunts in Xena: Warrior Princess.  :yabbse-grin:

Alethia

The ending...

...I now love wholeheartedly. <3<3

wilberfan

I'm beginning to suspect that once the film is available for home viewing that I probably will give it another go.  I honestly don't think my overall opinion will change, but it will afford an opportunity to watch it differently.  It will be interesting to see what a little distance (and zero expectations) will provide.