Wedding Crashers

Started by MacGuffin, December 16, 2004, 05:12:46 PM

MacGuffin

Phony Purple Heart Taken Off Film Web Site

Following complaints from a congressman, the producers of "Wedding Crashers" on Monday yanked from the movie's Web site a printable Purple Heart advertised as a gimmick to pick up women and get free drinks.

The movie characters played by Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn use the medals to pick up women. But advocates for a bill introduced by Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo., say it's no joke impostors also use the fake medals or fraudulent stories of medals to get ahead in business.

"We understand the sensitivity regarding the medals and did not intend to make light of their significance in any way," New Line Cinema spokesman Richard Socarides said Monday.

Wearing, manufacturing, buying, selling or trading a Medal of Honor is a crime. Salazar's Stolen Valor Act, introduced Friday, would expand the law to include more medals and would allow prosecution of anyone who falsely claims to have earned a military medal or a Purple Heart.

His office drew attention to the Web site. On Monday, he claimed victory.

"If any movie-goers take the advice of the 'Wedding Crashers' and try to use fake Purple Hearts to get girls, they may wind up picking up an FBI agent instead," Salazar warned in a statement. "I am pleased that New Line Cinema has agreed to take down offensive parts of the Web site. Our veterans and FBI agents are working hard to make sure that we honor our true heroes, no one should undermine their efforts."

The movie's Web site included a "Crasher Kit" with instructions on how to win attention at a wedding.

"Print your own Purple Heart," it invited. "To get one of these babies, some dudes have to prove their physical, mental and spiritual strength with great feats of bravery on the battlefield. All you need to do is press the button below."

Socarides said it would be removed by the end of the business day. "This is a comedy, and it's intended to be funny," he said. "It's really not intended to offend anyone."

Advocates for Salazar's bill praised the producers for altering the Web site. In a way, some said, the flap over the movie has helped by bringing attention to a cause they have been working on for years.

"With Hollywood you have to give them a little bit of license," said B.G. Burkett, one of the authors of the book "Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam Generation Was Robbed of Its Heroes and Its History," about fake Vietnam vets. "I'm hopeful Congressman Salazar's bill is going to go through, and it will put a clamp on the people who are doing this."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

this was really good. it flowed nicely, with lotsa laughs and good improv work from wilson and vaughn. i agree with hacksparrow about ferrell. the 'meatloaf' line was funny but aside from that, his presence in the movie is pretty pointless (the character is necessary but having Will Ferrell play the part with such a lack of will ferrellishness). the scene in the funeral is probably the worst, i.m.o

didn't gloria and the rachel mcadams character believe that wilson and vaugnh were members of their family?

anyway, i liked it. ill buy the dvd.

modage

i saw this a 2nd time with my cousins.  it is goddamn funny.  GT, wheres your mcadams review?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

In my eyes, the movie's achingly average, BUT I am delighted by the box office receipts-- it gives me hope that studios will take more chances on R-Rated comedies.

hedwig

Anyway Ono answered my above question in the Wondrous Xixax Chat, they did in fact believe they were all related.

This BBC review  is the only article I've found so far that mentions this enormous plot-hole (if it's not a plothole, this movie takes on a whole new meaning)

Gamblour.

Wow, that is a hilarious plothole. I think it's funnier than the movie, but the flick has some good lines to quote with friends. And I'm now a Mcadamsophile.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I really wish I would've liked this, because I've been waiting for a good comedy...  I tried to stay open, but I basically said "Fuck this" in my head when the music chimes in and Owen Wilson sees the bride's maid and falls for her.

Can't there just be a screwball comedy that isn't horribly predictable?  Or perhaps, a screwball comedy that's funny?  Lately, that well has been pretty fucking dry.

Though I did like Anchorman...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye